Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Whoops…. visit from the po po today
  • Edukator
    Free Member

1/ driving slower and just sitting well back from the vehicle in front will mkae you a happier person in the long run.

2/ that said I’ll be helpful: those radars are old tech and you stand a good chance of being let off if there are two cars in the pic so ask for the photo.

https://www.autoplus.fr/actualite/PV-Exces-de-vitesse-Photo-radar-Contestation-PV-Feu-rouge-grille-1537927.html

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah, you need to be careful when quoting the 30+10%+1 rule…

A recent FOI request made by either AA or RAC to the Police Forces that oversea each county showed that not all forces applied that rule, or any other rule other than 31 in a 30 was breaking the law and could be brought to prosecution.

The data was shared to the Ministry of Transport who said they leave local speed restrictions to local councils with guidance from the governing police force of that county, and would not intervene in any local motoring issues.

I posted the full FOI on a previous thread on speeding.. but there’s been so many threads you’d be better off seeking the FOI out yourself… but it’s there if you want to see it.

So, all I’m saying is don’t rely on the “but I’m doing 34 in a 30 so I’m fine” because you might not be.

As for someone up there posting about people who Don’t speed… I’ll just inform whomever that is that there are millions of drivers using the highways that do not speed, and do not circumvent any moral/immoral forethought you may think they have as they sit behind their steering wheels… You need to keep those attitudes in your own headspace, thanks.

punter
    Free Member

I have quite a good Oz speeding story.

1. On my gap yah, I racked up numerous speeding offences in Oz on my UK license. I never paid any of them, and so my license was not in their computer system. This meant that whenever I was pulled over, nice Mr Policeman couldn’t see that I had umpteen outstanding tickets, and should, by rights, be taken to the nearest station.

2. 10-years later moved to Oz as a highly respectable university lecturer, permanent resident. Went to get my UK license changed to Ozzie, and upon entering my name into the computer system, the nice young lady stood back aghast from the computer screen. Those years-old fines had been racking up interest. I owed around 18 k, and was due a lengthy driving ban. However, by some stroke of good fortune, it transpired that the WA police force had recently upgraded its computer system, and there was no way to transfer the outstanding penalties to the current NSW system. The nice young lady took the decision to drop the matter and let me start afresh as an upstanding member of the driving community.

I’ve never had a speeding fine since (touch wood).

winston
    Free Member

I got gunned on the Eyre highway.   Cop popped out from behind a bush and pointed his speed gun at me halfway along the 90 mile straight!   EVERYBODY speeds on that road (except at dusk/dawn) as its sooooooo damn boring so he must have been well miffed that I had just slowed down to check out a bald headed sea eagle eating some roadkill and was only coaxing my camper van back up to terminal velocity – I guess he only had to wait another half an hour for the next victim!

maccyb
    Free Member

What’s a Po Po?

Sounds like the police.

Nah, pretty sure they go ‘whoop whoop’

andylaightscat
    Free Member

that’s the sound of da police

hols2
    Free Member

null

squirrelking
    Free Member

Getting pulled by her would certainly take the sting out of it.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

So….

For those who asked why I posted. It’s a chat forum? It was chat. Have you seen some of the other posts?

Anyway. Went to court avec lawyer. Lost my license for 6 months. Standard. Could have been fined 6k (AUD) but only fined a grand plus 200 court costs. Work have been fantastic. Totally out of character for me, wasn’t in a great place in many ways. Obvs can’t do my normal role so have been seconded to an acute assessment and treatment team where we home visit in pairs so I’ve always got a driver, I’m doing shifts and actually earning more each fortnight so I can pay my fine off. Strange roster (2 lates, 2 earlies and 2 off shifts but actually works well as I can take the kids to school on their bikes some days which is lovely. Basically I got caught speeding and I accepted it and I’m moving on. get my license back in July so heaps more time with the kids and very enjoyable riding to and from school. I actually think I came out the other side better off, in the grand scheme.

Great waffle by most btw. Very funny, some of the comments. Others, same old STW I guess.

fanatic278
    Free Member

6 months! Seems like they are a fair bit stricter in Oz. Fair enough though – thems the rules.

So has this changed your mindset regarding driving/speeding?

BillMC

I have found the most useful way of avoiding losing my licence is Waze. It accurately tells you the speed limit (which is not always obvious), it can be set up to ping if you go over the limit, it steers you away from jams and it tells you if the ‘po po’ are up ahead. It works in the antipodes and it’s free. Yesterday I had a bit of a long haul through biblical downpours in Wales to the NW and Waze nicely steered me away from all that aggro on the M6 and relatively speaking it was a fairly relaxed drive. Did require a few IPAs at the end of it to regain my composure though.

v8ninety

Agree re waze. It’s not as good as it used to be but it still helps loads, in more ways than just guiding you to a destination. I often have it on even on regular journeys.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I find waze is great, sometimes.

For local routes its sent me on 5-10 mile detours to avoid a bit of traffic through a village, cant have saved any time at all.

For motorways it assumes everyones driving like a dick amd cutting into ques at the last second. If there’s a mile que of the motorway junction it gives you a time based on the free flowing traffic in the other lanes.

I tended to check it before setting off, but then turn the sound off and use the more obvious motorway routes unless there was a good reason or it flagged up a traffic jam.

philjunior
    Free Member

90 when you should have been doing 50

45km/h over 80 would be 155kph+. which is high 70s+ – were you doing 140+kph?

To be honest what’s done is done, wouldn’t worry too much about it. Explain the reasons, say you’re sorry and get a good lawyer (regardless of your opinion of the law, we live in a world where most legal systems are adversarial, so this is a necessity to get a fair outcome).

I’m sure everyone here has done something more dangerous at some point in their life, mostly with no consequence. This won’t prevent them from leaving “helpful” comments. Hopefully it won’t affect your life too much, I have no idea of the legal system in Oz.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Waze didn’t alert me to thus camera.

globalti
    Free Member

You kind of get sick of the people who match your speed and dont let you back over so I just wanted to get ahead of these couple of cars with a safe distance ahead rather than cutting across too soon.

So you were impatient and reckless? Good thing you didn’t kill or injure anybody.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Your mom’s reckless.

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Whoops…. visit from the po po today’ is closed to new replies.