Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • whole joint of beef in slow cooker?
  • beefheart
    Free Member

Yay or nay?
    If so, how?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Bit of a waste, bang some brisket/braising/stewing steak in

binners

What joint is it? You need to have a decent amount of fat on it to do it in a slow cooker. Otherwise it just goes really dry and horrid. I wouldn’t myself. Better in’t oven

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Brisket, red wine, veg, spuds, herbs, salt and pepper and a dash of L&P.

Nommage.

beefheart
    Free Member

Its a sirloin and looks pretty lean.
    I was considering submerging it in water/stock, but maybe not.

bobbyspangles

Not really enough fat in that cut for slow cooking.
    Some simple recipes here:
    Roast Sirloin recipe

nemesis
    Free Member

Don’t waste it – as above, cheaper cuts of meat are much better for this.

binners

If you’re going to submerge beef in anything, choose a good ale, and bung it in with onions, spuds, carrots etc

Do that with cheap,fatty stuff though

cinnamon_girl

You don’t do that with topside!

slowoldman

Definitely not sirloin. That needs to be pink in the middle.
    Brisket or Silverside should be OK though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Agreed with the posters above

somouk
    Free Member

Pork is excellent in the slow cooker and leave all the fat on for extra flavour and moisture. Go for a brisket joint next time for beef.

binners

Lamb is great in the slow cooker too. Mmmmmmm lamb shanks slow cooked in red wine

As is the Chicken & Corizo Casserole that went in this morning 😀

buck53

If you’ve got time, salting for between two and four days before cooking would improve moisture retention. Sirloin is terrible cooked beyond medium-rare in my experience, so I’d be slow cooking to internal temp of 50-52 C, resting for at least half an our and then blasting in a mega hot oven to brown the outside, letting rest again before serving.

Should still be nice and moist after that.

cinnamon_girl

Cooked roast pheasant last night and it was delicious. Seems daft that I had to buy a pheasant when I come across huge gangs of them when riding.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Cooked roast pheasant last night and it was delicious. Seems daft that I had to buy a pheasant when I come across huge gangs of them when riding.

Only one thing for it:

cinnamon_girl

😆 If only I was a hunter gatherer type then I could also enjoy partridge, venison, muntjac and bunnies!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

If you’ve got time, salting for between two and four days before cooking would improve moisture retention. Sirloin is terrible cooked beyond medium-rare in my experience, so I’d be slow cooking to

Surely putting salt on anything draws the moisture out , it’s why you don’t season a steak until just before cooking .FWIW I think slow cookers are awful things .

sweaman2
    Free Member

Too add to the consensus. Sirloin is far too good a cut to be used in a slow cooker. Roast in oven and keep it pink in the middle..

monkfish
    Free Member

Silverside or topside in the slow cooker for 5 hours with a couple of carrots and onions. It makes its own gravy and is very tender.

johndoh
    Free Member

Seems daft that I had to buy a pheasant when I come across huge gangs of them when riding.

I think you will find that the collective noun is ‘bouquet’.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Unless you ‘sous vide’ it at no more than 60 deg c for a few hours, then brown it quick and hot after.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Cin> whats the going rate for a Pheasant these days?

Scapegoat

whats the going rate for a Pheasant these days?

Depends on the shoot. A day’s driven shooting will cost around £30 a bird on a bought-in day, so a 100 bird day will cost about £300 each for a team of 10 guns…., and you’ll get to take a brace home with you. 😀

Much cheaper to join a syndicate, up to ten days in the season for anywhere between £600 and £6000+

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CG, in high season, the butcher in Stockers does a brace for about £8. Superb value. They often have excellent wild rabbit, too.

cinnamon_girl

Cin> whats the going rate for a Pheasant these days?

Well, I paid £3 for a plump one. Mind you years ago when I regularly used a farmers market for fur and feather it was 6 for £10.

Confess to salvinating in the farm shop as the butcher said guinea fowl would be in at the end of the week. May just pop back!

Cap’n – on your recommendation I looked in their window and all looked really nice, didn’t have the cool box with me though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s quite possibly the best butcher in the country, CG. It really is THAT good.

Their sausages are, to put it mildly, sublime. Bacon is excellent. Game is brilliant, as John knows all the local estates and shoots well. They also have a smoker out the back that runs a “smoke what you bagged” service. I’ve done some smoked pigeon in there before. Drooooooooooooooool.

Very, very much recommended.

cinnamon_girl

Is the meat locally sourced and is it organic? Better than L? Smoker sounds interesting though but I’m afraid I won’t eat pigeon. Cooked some breasts once and, OMG, the smell made me heave. 😯

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s local where it makes sense for it to be local, yes.

By L, I assume you mean my friendly local organic farmer? If so, John doesn’t do buffalo, but everything else he has is better than Jody’s place. And cheaper, too.

Will have to get you over for a summer barbie and serve you some pigeon. I reckon I can change your mind! 😀

Oh, and Robinson’s cooking chorizo on the barbie is better than brilliant.

(Also, pop up the road to T&T and see Ashley for your fish. The man knows his fish, and his cricket, as it happens!)

cinnamon_girl

That’s very interesting to hear about it being better and cheaper, will definitely give it a try. Thank you for mentioning. 🙂

Quite happy to give pigeon another go and a Summer bbq sounds excellent. 8)

Don’t really eat fish though but know I should make an effort. I can cope with handling quail and partridge etc but not slimy fish!

buck53

If you’ve got time, salting for between two and four days before cooking would improve moisture retention. Sirloin is terrible cooked beyond medium-rare in my experience, so I’d be slow cooking to
    Surely putting salt on anything draws the moisture out , it’s why you don’t season a steak until just before cooking .FWIW I think slow cookers are awful things .

Initially, yes. Osmosis, Given time though it’ll react with the proteins in the meat and change the structure of the meat, net result is that it retains moisture better and is deeply seasoned.

binners

Has this thread inadvertently morphed into a brainstorming session for a new BBC Sitcom ? I can see Flashy as the main character 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl

😆

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Scapegoat, that bit I know, was wondering what they were coming out the other end at. 50p a bird going out the door.

BillMC

Slow cooked dexter brisket yesterday, well worth the extra if you can find it. Last hour with the lid off to brown, superb!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Pulled pork with the slab of fat cut off before cooking. Awesome.

Slow cookers are fine as long as you use them properly which, in fairness, isn’t difficult.

br
    Free Member

has anyone mentioned that it’s probably better if you seal/sear it first?

BillMC

Jamie Oliver says not to bother searing it and I agree with him.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘whole joint of beef in slow cooker?’ is closed to new replies.