Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Who'd live in Surrey
  • RustySpanner

Jesus, you lot really need to visit Northumberland.
    It’s empty.

Mind you, I find that 99% of rural trails are pretty much deserted outside of summer.
    Just avoid bits of the Lakes, Betwys and Ladybower.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Holmbury 13-16:00 yesterday not a soul. All on my Todd!!
    Pitch – 3 others

WB car park – three cars

Basically empty here too!!!!

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Holmbury 13-16:00 yesterday not a soul. All on my Todd!!
    Pitch – 3 others

WB car park – three cars

Basically empty here too!!!!

That’s exactly why I only ride around the area on weekdays, it’s great having all the trails to yourself.
    It’ll soon be getting even quieter as the fair weather riders will be packing their bikes away for the winter soon 😆

In all the times I’ve rode the Surrey Hills on or off road, I’ve never had any issues at all with people complaining about me cycling there in fact most people I’ve seen out walking when I’m out on the bike have been friendly and chatty with me, the complete opposite of the Surrey residents that sign these petitions.

ybot
    Free Member

And we come full circle, so now you know who’d live in Surrey, just one of many very nice places to live within the UK so thats that sorted then.

wl
    Free Member

What I do love about Surrey is that so many of its rider-residents bypass the Lake District to ride conveyor belts in Scotland. Long may it continue 😉

deadkenny
    Free Member

Sadly the press like to whip up a storm like this especially around the time of cycling events. They’re not going to sing praises about cycling and the benefit to the community and businesses. Doesn’t generate public interest as much as giving something for people to moan about.

Telegraph have got in on the act also with a very poor but widely advertised article (in fact I think the BBC’s coverage may have derived from this and they’ve gone out to interview the same few people with negative views to make it represent the whole of Surrey). The comments frankly disgust me or at least shock me that so many people are ignorant.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/recreational-cycling/10323653/War-declared-on-the-Lycra-louts-on-wheels.html

The Guardian however has taken the opportunity to have a dig at the Telegraph.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2013/sep/22/cycling-daily-telegraph-lycra-louts

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

So is this the guy behind it all?

http://www.change.org/en-GB/users/58120525

ybot
    Free Member

What I love about Surrey is I very happily by pass the much over rated Lake District to ride proper remote and wild back country empty trails in the far more beautiful surroundings of the Scottish Highlands and Islands using the Sleeper train for transport to get there – Torridon and Applecross for me in November, can’t wait 🙂

piha
    Free Member

Looks like anti cycling petition organiser Ian Huggins is trying to gain support for his group to attend an upcoming Surrey County Council meeting…

Update about Surrey County Council:Stop Surrey being turned into a cycle track.

There will be a SCC members meeting on the 28th November. Open to the public. Shall we all attend?

This message was sent by Ian Huggins using the Change.org system. You received this email because you signed a petition started by Ian Huggins on Change.org: “Surrey County Council: Stop Surrey being turned into a cycle track.” Change.org does not endorse contents of this message.
    View the petition | Reply to this message via Change.org
    Unsubscribe from updates about this petition

In order for me to comment on his petition I had to sign up for it. This means that I receive his group emails (as well as the individual email he sent me to tell me I was stupid for commenting on his petition) like the one above.

njee20
    Free Member

So did you do a ‘negative’ signature on his petition? Surely that’ll still count as they’ll just say “we have x signatures”, does anyone actually check they’re all in support? Isn’t that implicit?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks piha – maybe we should have a cyclist lobby there too!

piha
    Free Member

Yes, I had to sign up to Mr Huggins’ petition to comment on it, so in a way it’s implicit but the uninformed comments on the petition needed challenging, as does Mr H. I’m not sure 1 or 2 signatures out of 2500 will make much difference to anyone POV.

I will try to attend the meeting as I believe that the anti cycling voice in Surrey will grow louder if not challenged. It might be worth contacting CTC or BTC to enquire if they would attend?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I don’t think much will happen to be honest, he represents such a tiny minority. As usual the papers like something to sink their teeth into. On one page they are banging on about the success of British cycling then on another page they are attacking it’s grass roots.

A few narrow minded stuck up nimby’s who want the roads clear for their Lambo’s and Chelsea tractors won’t change anything.

souldrummer
    Free Member

I see Surrey Police are encouraging people to contribute to a Surrey County Council survey about cycling in Surrey

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Individual-Consulation

Hopefully that link will work

Sui
    Free Member

Where’s the scc meeting being held? I know some people who would like to attend.

souldrummer
    Free Member

Blimey; just received this week’s crime reports for Guildford, and I see another 4 bikes have been stolen this week; a Schwim, a Giant, a Cube and one other!

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Who'd live in Surrey’ is closed to new replies.