Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Who'd be pleased to get just one 500 mile month?
  • sandwicheater

I’m in awe of the riding gods who frequent STW that consider 500 miles a month for this year on bikes a realistically target.

Anyone else be pleased to bag just one month that hits the 500 mile post?

I for one would be chuffed to bits.

D0NK

500 miles of just for fun riding? If you’re commuting 500 shouldn’t be too difficult (not that I’ve managed a 500month yet this year) 500miles of proper mountain biking in one month tho, that would be pretty fricking awesome.

the-muffin-man

1 ride a month would be an achievement for me!

andytherocketeer

I’d be pleased with even 500km.
    Commuting for me would be about 80km (assuming 4 5-day weeks).

Best I ever managed was 300miles/month commuting in a previous job. That still needs a few pretty decent length weekend rides. So impressed by those that can squeeze in 500.

100km in a day is my only target (not done that for decades)

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

500 miles of quality mtb would be loads, but it is not a lot on a road bike. A lot of people could do that if they just rode to work and to the shops.

tenfoot

I’ve done 170 off road miles this month, all in the dark, and am well happy with that. Don’t have the time for 500 miles a month

ton

just done 690 miles for april.

sandwicheater

Hmmmm, not considered the non-fun commute/training. Even totting up that I’d struggle to get the miles.

I like the 100km target in a day. Will add that to my ‘to do’ list. My legs have about 50 miles* in them over a day at present.

*figure plucked from the air and based on nothing but guess work

EDIT: Blooming heck tenfoot, it’s only the 02nd April 😆

AlexSimon

Yep. According to Strava, the most I’ve managed is 300k, but that is mostly offroad (mixture of mtb and cx).

jamiea
    Free Member

You must be absolutely knackered today, Ton 😉

Cheers,
    Jamie

jamiea
    Free Member

I’m starting a new job next month, going up from a 10 mile / day commute 5 days a week to 30 miles 4 days a week. Looking forward to getting some more miles in!

Cheers,
    Jamie

tenfoot

EDIT: Blooming heck tenfoot, it’s only the 02nd April

Oops

theflatboy
    Free Member

Not including commuting, I managed 1,000km of road riding in March, which I am pretty pleased with – helped by having 5 weekends. Now to beat it in April!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I assume these are mostly road bike miles?

MoreCashThanDash

I’m managing 100 miles a week. Commute 24 miles a day 2-3 days a week, but midweek night rides haven’t died a death with the wet winter, family stuff means a lot of the audax rides I had my eye on are already “busy” and I’m struggling to shrug off a mysterious bug that knocked me out last week.

Hopeful of one 500 mile month later this year.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

In a good week I used to manage 275km, this included 2 club runs, a Sunday solo run and 90km of commuting.

Last week I managed nearly 70km offroad which is a new record for me (not counting riding holidays). I have 85km pencilled in for this week. Would have been 170km but I have plans at the weekend. I’d be very happy to hit 800km (500 miles) total for this month though.

It needs to be part of a training plan. I can’t just go out and go hard every time, and it needs to fit in with life. For example, I was supposed to ride 45km this morning, but I’m not feeling 100% after some broken sleep and I have to meet some friends this evening so I’m resting instead.

It is easier if you commute and ride road. 800km off road a month would very likely break me, or be unsustainable.

ton

You must be absolutely knackered today, Ton

doh!!!! I meant march obviously……. 😆

lowey

I’ve just managed my most milegae EVER last month at 450 total miles. BUT only 87 were Fun ie mountain biking miles. the rest was commuting. I suppose its all cycling, but give me MTB mileage any day.

mrmo
    Free Member

Only done 2418 miles this year, about 100miles a week commuting and 100 “leisure”.

I have managed a couple of mtb rides over the last few weeks, so about 100miles, Now that the ground is starting to dry out i will up the mtb rides, try and get one c50miler a week in.

Gary_M
    Free Member

My commute is 20 miles each way so getting in 500 miles is pretty easy. Riding every day this week so that’s 200, plus I’ll be out on Sunday. Probably do every day next week too, so close to 500 miles over 2 weeks.

I don’t usually commute on the bike every day but when I do in summer I can clock up 250 miles in a week.

My biggest week last year was over 320 miles.

And I still absolutely love every minute of it.

Only done 2418 miles this year, Why would you say ‘only’, is that for effect?

bokonon
    Free Member

My commute is about 2.5km, even if I ride home for lunch then back up to work in the afternoon, then my commuting distance would only be 200km a month and in reality I hardly ever come home for lunch, and some days I work from home, making it generally less than 100km.

I’m generally trying to hit 200km a month, with 300km a month being a nice bonus. I expect to exceed this in the summer, but have kept within this this year so far – most of this is road miles, only 100km or so off road so far this year.

sandwicheater

Must admit, I do enjoy my commute in. Not the best/most fun route but it’s time in the saddle and out of the car.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

It’s all relative isn’t it? A Cat 1 I follow on Strava is on around that this year. He is in a completely different league though.

The pros average over a 1000km in a week. So using pidgin logic, a pro trains 4 times as hard as a Cat 1?

scaredypants

I don’t commute on a bike.
    Most I’ve done in a month is 300 miles or so, and most of that will be road.

will
    Free Member

I’d be very happy with 500 miles off road a month.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I follow Dean Downing on Strava and he’s just over the 3000 mark for the year to date and I would imagine that will start to ramp up now. I’m not near that but I have done 3 more rides than him 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

Only done 2418 miles this year, Why would you say ‘only’, is that for effect?

Because it is less than I want to have done*, and compared to some it isn’t a huge amount.

* I enjoy riding, more time on a bike gives me more time to enjoy the world.

hooli

I just checked Strava and have done 500 this year and that is good going for me! No commuting and a fair few of those are MTB miles

markshires
    Free Member

I set my self a target of doing 50 miles a week off road. I have only beat it a couple of times in the last probably 6 months.
    I average about 40 miles a week, but I have a feeling this will be easy to beat over the summer.

I don’t commute so all my cycling is for fun.

disco_stu
    Free Member

I managed just over 400 miles in March, most of this is commuting miles.
    I’m hoping to get a few 500 milers in over the summer.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I don’t commute so all my cycling is for fun.

I do commute and all my riding is for fun 🙂

I don’t need to do it, I could take the car but I’d much rather leave the car on the driveway and use my bike. I’m not grinding out the miles, I enjoy every one, whatever the weather.

ton

I commute up to 30 miles a day……it can all be done offroad, or if I want on road.
    I **** love it all, rain/shine/wind/snow/hail/cars/no cars.

markshires
    Free Member

Gary_M

You know what I meant 🙄

Gary_M
    Free Member

I did, hence the smiley. Maybe you can’t see it, I can see your ‘rolling your eyes’ one. 🙄

curiousyellow
    Free Member

When I get on the bus or train on the way to work I am already thinking about work, but when I get on the bike to go to work I am going on a bike ride.

Commuting is still fun.

hooli

Talking of pro’s, this popped up yesterday, nice little outing 😯

sandwicheater

😯

D0NK

Checking my ride diary for the last few years I’ve managed a few 400s I’ve but only ever managed one 500 offroad mile month last february but that was mostly xc commuting, only 3 fun rides*. Bar winning the lottery (that i don’t do) and quitting my job I doubt I’ll ever manage a proper 500. Either 16miles everyday or 34 alternates, doubt I could keep it up doing proper mtb riding for that long.

Something to think about tho. If we get a nice spell in summer:
    tuesday night 35
    thursday night 35
    Saturday 35
    Sunday 20
    125mile week, keep that up for a month? Would need to cash in a load of brownie points, a month of catching the train wouldn’t be fun and a 50+ mile weekend would be bloody hard. Hmmmm.

*don’t get me wrong, my offroad commute is fun, way better than any other method of getting to work, it’s not proper riding tho, no hills for starters

mrmo
    Free Member
    brassneck

Are the everyday commuters carrying clothes in every day in panniers?

Toying with the idea of binning the car except for emergency commutes, so I’d like to hear the strategies – my work place is pretty well setup, so no excuses there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Who'd be pleased to get just one 500 mile month?’ is closed to new replies.