Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 143 total)
  • who would you vote greatest sportsperson in history?
  • Riksbar

Pie monster, good call on Owens, or how about Major Taylor?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Schumacher picked Senna as the best but has also been quoted as saying the only driver he really feared was Mika Hakkinen

I think he said this as mika was his biggest rival he fought against all season, for multiple seasons.
    In the early 90’s senna and Schumacher locked horns on occasion, but never went head to head for the championship.

lazybike
    Free Member

which does cricket fall into…?
    and football..?

games….if you “play” it, its a game. Not saying a game is less worthy than a sport… 🙂

Northwind

You’ve got to play the numbers, right? Frinstance, it can’t be Redgrave, because he’s great but only at a sport nobody does. Whereas Pele, Zidane etc are all greats, at the world’s most popular sport. If 100,000 times more people did rowing, would Redgrave still be in the top 100 of rowers?

Only slightly trolling.

piemonster

Reinhold Messner

A mad machine of a man

RichPenny
    Free Member

Pele, obviously. Honorable mentions to Bradman and Gretsky for being miles better than anyone else in their chosen niche. But everyone plays football, and Pele is thus far better than everyone else at it.

piemonster

On this subject, BBC2 8pm, Racing Legends – Stirling Moss

lazybike
    Free Member

I think fishing has the highest number of participents….now we need 3 cats game sport and hobby…

RealMan
    Free Member

I have to agree with this. Federer in his pomp hit shots that you wouldn’t thought possible.

Could say the same about Lin Dan.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPtsv27ry-c[/video]

I feel sorry for anyone who’s ever had to play him.

shadowrider
    Free Member

Phil The Power Taylor has dominated Darts for over 20 years, surely got to be considered as a true great. And before you say darts isn’t a sport, it’s shown on Sky Sports so its a sport.

lazybike
    Free Member

it’s shown on Sky Sports so its a sport

😀

thehustler
    Free Member

Jessie Owens for shoving it right up Hitlers ass

chomp
    Free Member

Always thought Ed Moses was pretty special, I’d say Owens though.

Actually going to the games in Berlin during those times let alone doing what he did there

funkrodent

Ask Zinadine Zidane. He’ll tell you….

… Paul Scholes

(and who am I to disagree)

Funny that, because Juan Sebastien Veron would say exactly the same thing. Add to that the fact that Xavi had his poster on the wall above his bed and it all starts to add up. And I’m a bleeding Arsenal fan. Which of course means Scholesy is just pipped to the post by Ian Wright. Which, as I’m sure you will doubtless all agree, is only right and proper 😉

MSP

Jessie Owens, congratulated on his success by Hitler, snubbed by his own president.

All Zidane said about Scholes is that he was the player he regretted most not having played with, not that he was the best.

orena45

There is only one G.O.A.T in my mind…

Michael Jordan

Dominated his sport winning pretty much everything available both individually and as part of a team, retired on top of his game then came back and did it all again!

riski4130
    Free Member

Djamolidine Abdoujaparov

thehustler
    Free Member

Ole Einer Bjorndalen would have to be up there somewhere too

trailmonkey

not only did he win absolutely everything that was there to be won, he did it with a style and grace that will never be equaled. i got to see him perform live too, a religious experience.

god.

DezB
    Free Member

Ali

Oh sorry, I’ve changed my opinion because some random mountain biker told me I was wrong 🙄
    How about providing your Greatest Sportsman instead of telling other people what their opinions should be?

(Yes, I’m new here)

anagallis_arvensis

Lester Piggot won his first race at the age of 12, won the Derby at 18, champion jockey 11 times, holds the all time record for most classic victories then at the age 56 (ish cant remember exactly) he came out of retirement and withina week won the worlds richest mile race yet again schooling the yanks on how to time run He was also properly odd which also aids greatness imo.
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ThhBVc0bA[/video]

Spin
    Free Member

Jeannie Longo – although she’s coming under some scrutiny now.
    Someone already mentioned Wayne Gretsky

Those two absolutely dominated their sports for a long time.

druidh
    Free Member

It’s still Ali.

Spin
    Free Member

Ali if it was greatest sports personality.
    Others have a better claim on the basis of their actual achievements.

As usually happens with such threads most posts are ‘here’s my favourite sportsperson’ rather than serious suggestions for greatest which is impossible to decide on anyway. Fun to try though.

surfer
    Free Member

Emil Zatopek, no doubt.

edit: He won the 5000m, 10000m and Marathon at the same Olympics never having raced a Marathon before.
    He suffered terribly under the Czechoslovakian rule and actually gave one of his Olympic medals to Ron Clark claiming he deserved it more.
    An incredible athlete, incredible determination in the face of adversity and modest.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There is only one G.O.A.T in my mind…

Mine too.

But, perhaps better in many ways….

But, really, in all seriousness, why has nobody mentioned

But, talking of fishermen, I’ll go for Chris Yates, for matchmen, hasn’t Alan Scotthorne got one more world title than Bob Nudd?

scruff
    Free Member

Rodney Mullen.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Definitely not Ali….he was fighting at one of many weights and lost a number of fights. Not even the best Boxer….good as he was was!

Phil ‘The Power’ Taylor does take a lot of beating, with 16 world championships and he only took the game up when he was 26….amazing!

However, its not really a sport, so you have to go for mass participation sports where money is not required to buy good equipment, so no cars, bikes etc.

That leave football and running. Lots of different distances for running so impossible to choose one…although Bolt must be right up there.

Which leaves footie……..Pele, Maradona or Messi?

I think I’d have to to for Maradona, despite being a cheating, drug taking little b@stard, he really was from another planet! Messi is getting close though!

yunki
    Free Member

But, talking of fishermen, I’ll go for Chris Yates

agreed, you couldn’t find a more sporting chap

deluded
    Free Member

Muhammad Ali.

For the strength that he demonstrated in and out of the ring in the face of unimaginable opposition.

I’m not one for idolatry, but the man is a LEGEND.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

However, its not really a sport,

True, but,

so you have to go for mass participation sports where money is not required to buy good equipment,

Why? Does not compute. Sorry.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

But, talking of fishermen, I’ll go for Chris Yates
    agreed, you couldn’t find a more sporting chap

I read ‘Casting at the Sun’ every few years and every time I finish and think “Yeah. There’s a truly happy, peaceful man”
    Him and John Wilson are probably the only 2 people I’m really jealous of.

aracer
    Free Member

Bjørn Dæhlie

I think fishing has the highest number of participents

I often see that suggested, but I don’t think it’s actually true – strangely enough as we tend to see ourselves as a minority I think there are actually more cyclists.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Why? Does not compute. Sorry.

Well, its obvious….if you have to have a bike or a car or a horse etc. that would rule out the entire continent of Africa and 50% of most other continents too. You have to choose a sport that is ‘world inclusive’, a natural sport like running or boxing that is available to all. Football is one of the few that can be included, as a ball is pretty much available anywhere.

Only when they have taken on the world can they they call themselves the greatest.

Garry_Lager

Definitely not Ali….he was fighting at one of many weights and lost a number of fights. Not even the best Boxer….good as he was was!

Phil ‘The Power’ Taylor does take a lot of beating, with 16 world championships and he only took the game up when he was 26….amazing!Who do you reckon is the better candidate for greatest sportsman in history Rockape? Muhammad Ali or Phil the Power Taylor?

It’s a headscratcher and no mistake that one. Hard to separate them.

Pigface
    Free Member

yunki
    Free Member

I read ‘Casting at the Sun’ every few years and every time I finish and think “Yeah. There’s a truly happy, peaceful man”

I’ve got a VHS box set of the ‘Passion For Angling’ series he did with Bob James and Hugh Miles up in the attic..

a must have

hora
    Free Member

Greatest competitor Lance or Schu

Greatest Sportsman?

Ellen McArthur, Zinardi, Richard Burns or Damon Hill.

All for different reasons to me.

Any TT competitor, the insane bastards.

niksnr
    Free Member

Brian Jacks!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve got a VHS box set of the ‘Passion For Angling’ series he did with Bob James and Hugh Miles up in the attic..

Yeah, I remember that. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘who would you vote greatest sportsperson in history?’ is closed to new replies.