Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Who would you vote for next week,if cameroon resigned(hopefully)
  • binners

TJ that simply isn’t true. It is thus because it suits the various parties to say it is. I used to live in a seat that had been labour since the year dot. They could stick a baboons arse up for election, and it’d get in.

However, after the Iraq invasion there was a concerted campaign by the Lib Dems to mobilise the opposition. It went Lib Dem with a 20% swing.

You of all people should know this anyway. Alex – tell him to go and sit in the corner and think about what it is he’s said

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Almost seems as though Miliband was voted in as a caretaker on the assumption Cameron would last a decent length of time but now it feels like he might actually outlast him, which’d be dismal.

Yeah, I got the impression Ed was there to be a buffoon for a while, then when elections were looming he’d get the boot and someone votable would be elected Lab leader.

bowglie

Labour?? The party who spent everything and deregulated the banking industry

Wrong! think you’ll find the deregulation was done during the time Thatcher and Reagan were in power.

wrecker
    Free Member

Wrong! think you’ll find the deregulation was done during the time Thatcher and Reagan were in power.

Very true.
    Labour/Gordon did have a 10 year window to change it though. I wonder why they/he didn’t?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

bowglie – Member

Labour?? The party who spent everything and deregulated the banking industry

What? Reagan was in power over here too? Did Denis know? No wonder it all went tits up!

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

The Tories do well to get so many voting for a party that represents the interests of 0.01% of the population, despite the fact many of them will actually suffer as a consequence.

wrecker
    Free Member

The Tories do well to get so many voting for a party that represents the interests of 0.01% of the population, despite the fact many of them will actually suffer as a consequence.

That is a very, very good point. Many, many do though so there must be a reason. Lack of choice is my guess.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I like the green bit of the green party but otherwise they’re far too left for me

The Green Party is a social democratic party about as left-wing as Harold Macmillan and Ted Heath were……….. but “too left” for you ?! 🙂

I have no significant interest in the “green bit” of the Green Party but they are just about left-wing enough for me to reluctantly support them. Which speaks volumes about the sorry state of British politics.

What? Reagan was in power over here too? Did Denis know? No wonder it all went tits up!

Tee hee hee :rolls eyes:

You obviously like to pretend that the “special relationship” between the UK and the US, ie, they tell us what to do and we do what they tell us, and globalisation, doesn’t exist. How hilarious…..ho ho ho.

wrecker
    Free Member

The Green Party is a social democratic party about as left-wing as Harold Macmillan and Ted Heath were……….. but “too left” for you ?!

I actually said that they’re FAR too left for me. I meant it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And I’m sure you did mean it wrecker.

Likewise I’m sure a One Nation Tory of the same ilk as Harold Macmillan and Ted Heath would also be FAR too left for you.

Let’s face it, you are pretty right-wing.

wrecker
    Free Member

Let’s face it, you are pretty right-wing.

Who are you to judge?
    Everyone is right wing compared to you.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Sorry mate – you’re a right little leftie 😀

Although perhaps you might like to point out which of the Green Party’s policies are “FAR” too left for you?

http://www.greenparty.org.uk/policies.html

Go on…..tell me which ones.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

You obviously like to pretend that the “special relationship” between the UK and the US, ie, they tell us what to do and we do what they tell us, and globalisation, doesn’t exist. How hilarious…..ho ho ho.

Do I? Good to know. Any more insights into my thoughts and beliefs appreciated. What a presumptuous arse. 😀

kudos100
    Free Member

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

rogerthecat – Member

Any more insights into my thoughts and beliefs appreciated.

OK…….I can probably elaborate if you want.

It’s clear from your sarcastic comment regarding Ronald Reagan that you are attempting to ridicule bowglie’s valid comment concerning the deregulation of the finance industry. To chose to deliberately ignore the push to globalisation in the 1980s and how this effected the financial markets.

You chose to very conveniently ignore the fact that deregulation of banking did not occur in isolation in the UK, all in an attempt to ridicule bowglie. However the truth is quite different to the false impression which you attempt to create. So it is indeed you who appears ridiculous.

HTH

titusrider
    Free Member

So the fact de-regulation of banking has made us one of the world leading financial centres and generated more billions for the economy than U could possibly imagine is not relevant to this discussion then?

Some reasonable policies, massive borrowing and alot of luck (limited external shock factors) got us off boom and bust for ten years. Now its back, big surprise…. Its only been the standard state for the previous 200 years

Ps if U hadn’t guessed id stick conservative 😛 (and I think they are becoming too popularist)

zimbo
    Free Member

So the fact de-regulation of banking has made us one of the world leading financial centres and generated more billions for the economy than U could possibly imagine is not relevant to this discussion then?

Deregulation is the exact reason we’re in this stink, playing right into the hands of investment bankers who think they’re geniuses, when in fact they are children in an unattended sweet shop.

titusrider
    Free Member

Regulation stifles growth and innovation

heavily regulated banking = no innovation, no growth

It might be A CONTRIBUTING FACTOR to the crisis but to have been living in a highly regulated world for the past 30 years would mean our economy would be far weaker and ur living standards far lower than they are now

justatheory
    Free Member

TJ that simply isn’t true. It is thus because it suits the various parties to say it is. I used to live in a seat that had been labour since the year dot. They could stick a baboons arse up for election, and it’d get in.

However, after the Iraq invasion there was a concerted campaign by the Lib Dems to mobilise the opposition. It went Lib Dem with a 20% swing.

Was that Withington, Manchester?

zimbo
    Free Member

heavily regulated banking = no innovation, no growth

heavily regulated banking = no get-rich-quick sharks bankrupting nations for their own sense of vanity. Like I say, dangerous children in very big sweetshops.

zimbo
    Free Member

highly regulated world for the past 30 years

…there’s been a steady process of deregulation since the eighties, causing unsustainable growth in fits and starts, that suits no-one but the mega-wealthy.

pete68
    Free Member

I’d be in the same boat as the last election, as there isn’t anyone I’d support. The local area switches between Libdem and Tory and don’t want either,now more than ever. Couldn’t go Labour after their last government ,especially with Milliband and Balls. We need a new middle ground party that is more interested in serving the country rather than themselves.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Ernie – think you may be jumping at shadows. It was just a light hearted, trivial, inconsequential remark with no hidden meaning. Not intended to poke fun at anyone nor disparage anyones viewpoint. But you appear to look at most things as some political statement and a reason to cause friction, which does rather make you look ridiculous.
    Also HTH 😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Not intended to poke fun at anyone nor disparage anyones viewpoint.

No of course not !

There’s absolutely nothing in this statement to suggest that : “What? Reagan was in power over here too? Did Denis know? No wonder it all went tits up!” 😀

you appear to look at most things as some political statement

Erm…… this is a thread in which punters are asked what political party they would vote for if there was an election now, forgive me if I see a few “political statements” among the replies. Although granted yours wasn’t much of one 😉

flap_jack
    Free Member

Time for a Pirate party like in Germany.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

try the uk pirate party then flappy jack lol

ononeorange

There is absolutely no prospect of getting our awful Tory MP out of my constituency – she gets about 99.9% of the vote every time and does nothing for the area but take from the gravy train.

However – the question is what to vote for. As we have no other choice (such as the Greens who I would want to vote for) in our constitutency aside from the three main ones and BNP/UKIP, I would vote on the track record on civil liberties. A sorry choice, but probably Labour (vote Lib Dems get Tory, Tory – you have to be joking, and whilst I know Labour have a pretty dismal record in that department, they are now the best of a bad lot). Our political system really has degenerated to a desperate level.

Flaperon

I faced this problem at the local elections and ended up writing “None of the above” as my ward is a guaranteed Labour win.

UKIP is just a euphemism for BNP.

konabunny
    Free Member

My last vote was for the Lib Dems – what a stupid idea that was. The UK is probably better off with me not voting, frankly.

Choose the right hand door, obviously.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The UK is probably better off with me not voting, frankly.

Well at least you have helped to clear up a little conundrum which has troubled people for a very long time “how would Liberals/Liberal Democrats behave if they were ever in a position of power”. We now have the answer, and I for one am grateful that you helped to provide that answer. No one needs to vote LibDem ever again – sorted.

And btw the choice has never been “either one or the other”, people have simply chosen to restrict their choices to that narrow choice.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Who would you vote for next week,if cameroon resigned(hopefully)’ is closed to new replies.