Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Who would spend upward of £600 on a kids bike?
  • mtbmatt
    Free Member

OK, so it is not a MTB… but proof that some people spend crazy amounts on kids bikes.
    This is full customs with Lightweight 650c wheels, Dura Ace Di2 and loads of other exotic kit. 5 figure price for sure.

ianv
    Free Member

The point I was making re lightweight full sus is that the Norcos and the Konas are HEAVY with unsuited coil suspension. Kids are light and therefore do not need something to be so overbuilt, which could translate into a much lighter but just as capable full suspension bike.

And if this was possible, is there much of a market? There are kids MX there are kids moto trials bikes so why not some decent mountain bikes?

The forks do seem to be a sticking point though. Tyres less so as Maxxis make some decent 20 and 24 inch ones.

tomaso
    Free Member

On a previous kids bikes thread on here someone posted the coolest picture of a 6 year old girl riding in the alps on a Specialized fulls susser with 20″ wheels – not available in UK.

My kids have got Specialized, Rigeback and Giant bikes – the giant is pig heavy though and has persuaded me that perhaps an Islabike would be far better.

GW
    Free Member

Toys

GW you have really got on my tits hereAlways happy to oblige 😉

I have you on my hit list as someone to shoot down at every opportunity

You must be a pretty shit aim then, maybe you should go for an eye test? :/

toys19
    Free Member

You must be a pretty shit aim then, maybe you should go for an eye test? :/

True, but I also haven’t been hunting in your frequent pastures recently. After this thread I am slightly revising my hit list.

GW
    Free Member

weirdo

xiphon
    Free Member

Farticus – a Tuner at 7? I’m jealous!

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I wouldnt spend that amount until they were in their mid teens. That isn’t because im a cheap bastard, nor is it beause i wouldnt want the best of them it is just a different philosophy to parenting.

Looking at my own childhood the most fun years i have ever had on bikes was spent riding a rigid appolo from halfords. No doubt it would be considered utter crap now but it is still my favourite bike ever and played its part of some great childhood adventures like jousting on bikes with bamboo canes as the lance, doing ghosties off the back, or cycling out to the countryside away from the city, or being the first to ride over to the other side of the river at the ford without falling in (a feat which i imagine the kids of today still talk about) or racing through the woods to set up a guerilla ambush against the invasion by the Russians or Germans. Would not have had anymore fun doing this than had i been riding some pimped out quality bike and i hope any kids i have can experience this uncomplicated fun too.

AlexSimon

If I had 3 boys to pass the bike down to, then I’d probably consider it. (although not at the moment as I’m skint).
    Personally I’d be looking for something like the Islabikes Beinn 24 in terms of quality and lightweight build, but with full sus.
    As it is, the Beinn with fatter tyres is pretty good.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Who would spend upward of £600 on a kids bike?’ is closed to new replies.