Who would actually wear this?

Home Forum Bike Forum Who would actually wear this?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Who would actually wear this?
  • kudos

You’d be a bit of a bellend to wear it over just bibs! Translucent jackets are good for wearing over team kit in races…

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

Ebay “Gay Interest”.

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

I’d wear that. It’d be over a proper jersey rather than just bibs but yeah, I’d wear it.

Deveron53

Check out the Assos website for other questionable cycle clothing advertisements…

discoduck

Folk with shaved legs wear clobber like that !

I’ve seen them, it exists !

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Translucent jackets are good for wearing over team kit in races… by portly middle-aged blokes on Pinarellos, having mid-life crisis

FTFY 😀

bikebouy

Translucent jackets worn by portly middle-aged blokes on Pinarellos, having just spent £10k on bikes and gear having been inspired to get off their fat arses and go ride out

FIFY

Dobbo

Looks like the sort of thing I’d buy the GF for ‘bedroom wear’, I’d stick that in ‘drawer 3’.

Premier Icon cr500dom
    Subscriber

I have a translucent white Shutt VR one, to go over the top of my Shutt “Team Kit” if it rains 😀
    Not hugely breathable though so you do end up sweating like (insert favourite non PC phrase here)

allthepies

wrote:

’I’d stick that in ‘drawer 3’.

Euphemism ?

ichabod

A step up from the naked beer belly hanging over bibs look – seen this several times in Italy!

kudos

Why does almost every roadbike thread descend into smug mountain bikers assuming all roadies are all-the-gear-no-idea wannabes?

The majority of roadies I know ride in club or team colours, so many of them wear translucent rain capes.

Whilst watching the TdF in Yorkshire, I was approached by 3 separate people who asked if I knew such-and-such, or if I raced at such-and-such etc because they saw my team colours.

We don’t all wear “all-the-gear” because we’re wannabes, we wear it because we’re proud to represent clubs and teams, and it’s brilliant to meet complete strangers who know our fellow riders.

People should stop being so judgmental and be glad that people are enjoying our sport.

Dobbo

Euphemism ?

Yes but maybe not for what you are thinking! Drawer 3 is where we keep all the fun ‘bedroom wear’.

mogrim

I’ve got a translucent white gilet, great for cold starts or long descents. Over a jersey, of course 🙄

Premier Icon faustus
    Subscriber

‘Who would actually wear this?’

It’s not the narrow-minded excuse for another pathetic thread about ‘roadies’ that is annoying about this post, but that it’s so damned trivial.

‘Someone might wear something I don’t like’ shocker. Que fnar-fnar innuendos and some lazy homophobia…please spare us all.

fasthaggis

People should stop being so judgmental and be glad that people are enjoying our sport.

Here here .

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

be glad that people are enjoying our sport.

MY sport!

not “our” sport, not “your” sport. MY sport! So there.

😛

Premier Icon xherbivorex
    Subscriber

‘Who would actually wear this?’

It’s not the narrow-minded excuse for another pathetic thread about ‘roadies’ that is annoying about this post, but that it’s so damned trivial.

‘Someone might wear something I don’t like’ shocker. Que fnar-fnar innuendos and some lazy homophobia…please spare us all.

spot on.
    there’s some real bellends on here. no doubt it’ll all be justified as “banter” or whatever.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

kudos – Member

We don’t all wear “all-the-gear” because we’re wannabes, we wear it because we’re proud to represent clubs and teams

It’s funny that football or rugby fans don’t get this sort of crap for wearing their team colours. I’ve got a Metallica t-shirt somewhere, it doesn’t mean I’m pretending to be in the band.

Zoolander

Ok yeh you got me
    I’d wear it.

But I’m pretty sure there’s a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. And I plan on finding out what that is.

bigdugsbaws

Better than the garish ‘Enduro’ style clobber that you see an increasing number of middle age men sporting.

atlaz

I have a short sleeved semi-transparent castelli sotille rain capes. It’s not something you’d wear in cold weather but to throw in the pocket for a summer ride where rain is possible, it’s perfect.

discoduck

Im sure there are some on here that have Football, rugby, cycling gear there are probably some that have one glove MJ Stylie for their chosen recreation ?

And whilst I don’t have anything against Roadies, just like I don’t have anything against those who follow sports their chosen sport i just have an unhealthy distain towards blokes in Lycra !

Women on the other hand look fantastic in Lycra ! Some of the Mums on the school run at my sons school demonstrate this every morning ! I don’t know what activity they get up to but they look good in Lycra !

There’s no doubting that some blokes actually like wearing it and there are some that probably think they look good in it but I just can’t see the allure ! That’s just my thick northern narrow minded viewpoint at all things road related not my lack of understanding why a bloke wants to hobble round in cleats whilst wincing tapping at his smart phone with what looks like a banana lodged down the front of his shorts ?

As I’ve tried to explain, thick stoopid folk don’t get it and whilst we should all get on and blow smoke each other’s arses as Cyclists I have either failed in my 30 years as a none cyclist or I just don’t get the appeal ?

Premier Icon Lifer
    Subscriber

Well said kudos

discoduck – Member
    There’s no doubting that some blokes actually like wearing it and there are some that probably think they look good in it but I just can’t see the allure ! That’s just my thick northern narrow minded viewpoint at all things road related not my lack of understanding why a bloke wants to hobble round in cleats whilst wincing tapping at his smart phone with what looks like a banana lodged down the front of his shorts ?

Wow. ‘The allure’ is because there is nothing more comfortable if you’re doing a couple of hours on the road. Baggy jerseys flap about, baggy shorts ride up and chafe. ‘Hobbling around in cleats’ is a because they’re not designed for walking in, being cycling shoes, so I don’t do much walking. As for the smart phone business are you telling me there’s no off-road segments on strava?

atlaz

As I’ve tried to explain, thick stoopid folk don’t get it and whilst we should all get on and blow smoke each other’s arses as Cyclists I have either failed in my 30 years as a none cyclist or I just don’t get the appeal ?

Also feels like you might have failed a little elsewhere as I can’t make any sense of that.

I wear lycra on the road bike. I don’t think I look good but I’d rather be comfortable on long rides than worry about the aesthetics

jota180

The majority of roadies I know ride in club or team colours, so many of them wear translucent rain capes.

I have a short sleeved semi-transparent castelli sotille rain capes

Cape?
    surely it’s a jacket?

A cape doesn’t have sleeves and sort of hangs from your neck

ocrider

Im sure there are some on here that have Football, rugby, cycling gear there are probably some that have one glove MJ Stylie for their chosen recreation ?

Hockey players?

Get over it Discoduck. Practicality beats lifestyle every time.

jota180

I have one of these – the transparent one – usually called a Jonny jacket

discoduck

Lifer- I’m not telling you anything that I haven’t seen, if you haven’t seen it then it obviously doesn’t exist, plain and simple !

I know cleated shoes are not meant for walking in However as I have seen this with my own eyes I can tell you that for me I took this as “real life” and in actual fact several Cyclists were all hobbling about together, I’m not sure if these people could be classed as Cyclists as they were indeed on their uprights and not on two wheels at the exact moment I saw them.

As for baggy T shirts being uncomfortable “really”
    I actually find the flapping about in the wind more pleasurable than being trussed up in something that doesn’t allow for any air flow,

I cycled across Africa in 94 in a pair of cut of cut off Jeans and a flappy T Shirt, I did the lands end to John o groats up the hill when I was 16 with “Shock Horror” NO Lycra ! It didn’t take me a couple of Hours it took a couple of weeks.
    But if feeling comfy for 2 hours whilst in the saddle makes you feel better then who am I to question that ?

Each to their own.

discoduck

Jota180

When you wear Lycra the thing that wraps round your neck is a cape !

Haven’t you seen Kickass ?

atlaz

Cape?
    surely it’s a jacket?

Tell it to the equipment makers. I think in their terms, a jacket is thicker, a cape is basically a pac-a-mac

discoduck

And when a cow is born in a stable it then becomes an Oss ?

atlaz

argumentative little bugger aren’t you. As I said, take it up with the equipment manufacturers.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

As for baggy T shirts being uncomfortable “really”
    I actually find the flapping about in the wind more pleasurable than being trussed up in something that doesn’t allow for any air flow,

But having not worn lycra you’re entirely ill informed to comment on it… I like my Golf, I’ve driven it long distances, and I once broke the speed limit in it. Therefore it is infinitely better than the McLaren P1 I’ve never driven 🙄

There’s vastly more air flow through a decent jersey, which also doesn’t have seams that chafe and doesn’t billow around, and includes things like a zip to increase air flow if you wish, doesn’t get saturated with sweat and has pockets to keep stuff in.

So yes, your irrelevant views are because you’re thick. At least you’re good enough to acknowledge that.

kudos

Ah, I think we’ve got to the bottom of why you don’t wear Lycra yourself Discodick!

Close-fitting clothing is vastly more comfortable. Technical fabric touching the skin wicks heat and moisture away to such an extent that it can feel cooler than being naked.

The only reason MTBers wear baggies is fashion. I wear Lycra for mountain biking and it has many benefits. One of the worst accidents I’ve seen recently was when a lad I was riding with got his baggy short leg snagged on his handlebar on some very technical north shore!

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

<swoons> at discoduck being so hard he doesn’t need comfortable clothing

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

<swoons> at discoduck being so hard he doesn’t need comfortable clothing

I remember before he left us for a few months the boasting about how much he’d spent on his bike too. I quite look forward to these times returning.

kudos

Is Discodick “known to us” njee?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Who would actually wear this?’ is closed to new replies.