Who would a good all rounder

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Who would a good all rounder
  • redmex

In the format of the Superstars programme or old rallysprints with Nige Mansell against Tony Pond
    Bike riders
    25 mile tt
    Downhill
    X country race
    Track race
    Steep short hill climb
    Wheelie comp

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

“be”?

Gee Atherton?

Stevet1

Brian Lopes in his heyday.

croe

Tracy Moseley. Could be an interesting event – a decathlon for bikes.

submarined

Moseley and Maes (if not being medicated for a limb threatening infection). And I reckon Ed Masters shouldn’t be ruled out.
    In fact, I reckon a lot of this would be a case of picking the top Enduro riders tbh. Mega fit bunch with next level bike handling skills.

And Schurter, obvs.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Martin Maes
    Cecile Ravanel

Or maybe Peter Sagan?

Would be a great show!

Premier Icon beej
    Subscriber

Peter Sagan

Or Mathieu van der Poel

redmex

My finger slipped so no be, i was thinking get Bradley Wiggins trying to downhill, Danny Mc trying to do track, Mark Cav probably good at x country, one of the Athertons doing 25 miles in an hour etc

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Brian Lopes in his heyday.

Yeah, Jared Graves in his 🙁

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon Nobby
    Subscriber

Zdeněk Štybar

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

Peter Sagan would do pretty well.

Nino Schurter would probably do alright if he can TT

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

Nick Craig vs. Shanaze Reade for the UK team.

bluebird

I’d go for Sagan or Sven Nys (cyclocross rider who rode up the side of the stair case in a race).

I would expect the roadies with an mtb background would wipe the floor with the gravity mtb riders, some of the CX/XC riders might fair better. Even a rider like Sagan who’s not a climber would destroy even the fittest downhiller on a short/steep climb.

Also needs a BMX race, jump and track stand events.

P-Jay

I only really know MTBers, but it sounds like the perfect sort of thing for the Enduro racers, Maes, Hill and Rude.

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

Tom Pidcock

Hannah Barnes

philjunior

It depends how you score it really. The cross country and time trial have a lot more time in them, so if it’s aggregate time you just need to be vaguely competent on the other disciplines.
    So what’s the scoring? Points for each discipline? Can you disregard your crappest one?
    Afraid I can’t answer “accurately” if this isn’t defined better.

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

How is it to be scored? If it’s by totalling up the time then any strong road rider with some xc background. A strong TTer could walk down a DH course and still be in credit compared to any DHer.*

Anyway I’d go MvdP, or Sagan, or WvA.

(*Not so long ago I beat Manon Carpenter in a CX race. I was something like 90th! Granted, she was racing in an unfamiliar format for her, but I was expecting her to do rather better than that. Being a good DHer doesn’t translate massively well into other styles.)

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

So what’s the scoring? Points for each discipline?

Assuming this, only sensible way really. All disciplines to count IMO.

Premier Icon Bez
    Subscriber

Obviously John Tomac, but then I haven’t give a toot about bike racing since about 1993. Is he still going?

Lance Armstrong would kick everyone’s ass on all of them except maybe the wheelie comp

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Got to be a roadie who can off-road surely if it’s aggregated time. I’m sure Sagan could get down a hill within a minute or two (heck, he could walk it) of then put 5-10 minutes into them on the TT despite being a sprinter not a time trialist. Even Froomey could probably do it if he stayed upright!

If you eliminated the endurance cardio events like the 25 mile TT then a lot of track riders started off in BMX (Hoy, Lopez, Reed) so probably one of them.

Points might be fairer but as an event aggregated time makes more sense, then you can handicap the TT as a final event and make it a scratch race to the finish.

IHN

Scoring should just be points, a la World’s Strongest Man.Assuming there’s 10 competitors, the first in each event gets 10 points, second 9, third 8 etc.

Most points at the end wins.

Premier Icon andytherocketeer
    Subscriber

Hannah Barnes

which one?

or secretly use both of them in their respective best disciplines, and see if anyone notices?

In that series of events very hard to see past an xc rider. The likes of Nino/Flueckiger/Neff etc would have the right kind of power/endurance/build for 25 mile tt, hill climb etc.
    Nino and Neff have raced downhill and won in the past/months ago.
    I could only see the likes of VDP or Sagan being able to challenge them from the road side of things…if you can really call either of them roadies!
    Although downhiller/enduro riders are undoubtedly super fit it’s maybe not fitness that is as suitable to complete at a very high level, as an all rounder… although I am sure there are a few exceptions. But when they have occasionally raced xc they are normally a fair bit off the pace.
    Where as an xc rider pretty much has to be an all rounder.
    Would be fantastic to see it happen.

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

Number one man crush Chris Akrigg.

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

Actually I’m going to change my mind. Based on the fact that Froome has magically transformed himself from a rider who can barely stay on his bike to one wins successive Grand Tours, can beat everyone in a climb or TT, mixes it up in the sprints and, as of last year, can make super heroic style massive solo breaks, I’ll pick him.

I’ve no doubt that he can be programmed to beat all the DHers by minutes in the morning, then reprogrammed to lap everyone on the track that afternoon.

All while being very polite. 😁

Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

At a point in time, Jason McRoy would have wiped the floor here.

Premier Icon mrhoppy
    Subscriber

WvA, MvdP, Tom Piddock and Sagan in the men’s. Marianne Vos and Jolanda Neff in the women’s.

philjunior

I reckon Peter Sagan then, mainly as he has a good wheelie and I’m sure would do great on XC, potentially not amazing at DH but he used to do BMX so should make it down in once piece.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

I reckon Peter Sagan then, mainly as he has a good wheelie and I’m sure would do great on XC, potentially not amazing at DH but he used to do BMX so should make it down in once piece.

Yep, he’s also got the power for the track (though is it a sprint or longer effort?) and he’s no strange to long breaks – so his TT should be decent too.

Vos is a good shout for the women’s, but how’s her wheelie?

Which DH track is it anyway? We need more info really.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Cadel Evans would’ve done pretty well

Premier Icon The Pinkster
    Subscriber

+1 for Shanaze Reade, was the first name that came to mind

Kuco

Heyday def John Tomac

Men Mathieu van der Poel
    Women i’d say, Jolanda Neff

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

Adam Hansen or Mick Hannah would have no problem doing all that.

I do have fond memories of Jason McRoy racing in the xc national championship, it was cool to see him racing xc but he was pretty much last.

Froome rode in the commonwealth xc mountain bike race years ago, he wasn’t very good!

To slightly re iterate my post before look at Downieville, last two years has been dominated by semi retired xc pro Geoff Kabush and katerina Nash has again been the woman to beat for years.

Know that’s only xc and DH (and not in standard format) but just can’t see at pro level anyone being more of an all rounder than Nino and Neff…apart from MvdP or Sagan.

philjunior

Shanaze Reade for the women’s +1

I don’t know why people are so sure shanaze would be any good at any other discipline besides bmx and track sprint? She’s pure power fast twitch.
    Sagan yes- there’s a video of him side hopping up stairs on road bike and of course he rode a xc recently.
    If love to see this, often muse about the format on way home. A multi discipline grand tour

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.