Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Who works in marketing? What do you do? What is your skillset?
  • webwonkmtber
    Free Member

I’m updating the old CV and as a webwonk I loosely work in what could be called marketing.

Typically I am able to market the hell out of products and services for other people, but I am struggling to sell myself convincingly/authentically.

So my fellow marketers, what do you do? How do you define/describe/sell what it is you do? What are your skills?

Thank you!

justatheory
    Free Member

mrmo
    Free Member

I work for a marketing department, but my skillset is Excel, SSRS, crystal reports, Cognos, Dynamics, basically crunching the numbers. I can use Photoshop, Autocad, but not my job.

Find customers and identify results of contacts.

slackalice
    Free Member

Yay to justatheory!

“Seriously, do yourselves and us a favour…..”

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

iDave
    Free Member

Whatever job you do, outside maybe the emergency services, depends on some form of marketing. Despite his protestations and alleged immunity to marketing, the shops TJ uses get his business because he knows where they are and what they sell. He knows where they are and what they sell because at some stage some marketing was carried out – which includes generating word-of-mouth….. And so on. Marketing is just communicating what you want about a product or service so that people decide to use/buy it, or at least remember it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

really iDave – according to some on that big debate marketing is an awful lot more than that.

so all marketing is is providing a label for a product? All the rest of the bollx is just nonsense?

clubber
    Free Member

You really area miserable git sometimes TJ. You might even be immune to it all but most people aren’t. No need to degrade someone’s job just to make yourself out to be better than the poor proles who fall for marketing.

iDave
    Free Member

I didn’t mention a product label. I mentioned how someone knows what something does, and where to buy it. And of course there is all the accompanying bollox, but the ultimate goal of that is to make you aware of what you need to fulfil ‘X’ function, where you can get it and why ABC is maybe better than XYZ.

If you’re applying for a job you might look into the company, see what people say about them, does their website make them look like a professional set-up or cowboys, and so on….. it’s all marketing.

binners

I do have to say that if you’re finding it difficult to market yourself, you may want to think about a career change? 😉

You should simply scrawl “I AM SATAN HIMSELF” across your CV, preferably in blood. Babies blood, from one you’ve just finished eating will get you extra points

Seriously though: The benefit of working in this field is you can put together a portfolio, providing concrete evidence of what it is you’ve done. A major plus compared to most jobs

webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Such cynicism! I love it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Who works in marketing? What do you do? What is your skillset?’ is closed to new replies.