Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Who went to the Cotic Rocket demo day Saturday? How was it ?
  • shaungero
    Free Member

Just wondering what you thought of the27.5 Rocket as I can’t make it to either demo weekend and am very interested in how it performed? Is it a do it all bike ? Would you recommend something else ?

Cheers
    Shaun

cy

Hey Shaun, I’ll not mention the bike as obviously I think it’s ace, but we will try to fit in another demo in December when we have another medium and a small built up, or give us a shout if you’re around on Thursdays. When there’s a bunch of us doing dispatch from the warehouse we’re quite happy to let people take a bike out for a couple of hours so long as they leave a credit card or car keys hostage. Drop us an email or give us a call and we’ll try and work something out.

Cheers,

Cy @ Cotic

flyingmonkeycorps

I have a Rocket26 as my only mountain bike and I reckon it’s the perfect do it all. It’s more bike than I need for a lot of my riding but it’s fun to ride on everything from trail centres (Dalby) to bigger stuff in t’Peak (Jacobs Ladder) and everything I’ve tried inbetween. I can’t imagine the Rocket275 is any different to be honest.

Cons? It’s arguably at the heavy end of its class but I certainly don’t notice that when I’m riding. Umm… That’s about all I can think of.

jimw
    Free Member

I have used my 26″ Rocket on all sorts of trails, from a week in the Alps ( fantastic ) to riding my local trails in the Malverns, FOD etc.
    in full Alps mode, with beefy wheels and DH tyres it was OK pedalling, but with lighter wheels and tyres it is genuinely a do it all bike, certainly as easy to pedal up hill as the 2008 Orange 5 it replaced but much more surefooted when going down hill.
    I do have other bikes so I can’t confirm it would be OK as your only one.

As above, I can’t see that the 275 will be any less of an allrounder. Give me a couple of weeks and I might be able to tell you.

As far as recommending something else, a couple of mates have Santa Cruz Nomads which they are their only bikes and they have used them in the same range of conditions as I have. A bit lighter than the Rocket with similar build kit, and they look fantastic, but both have had issues with bearings needing regular replacement so perhaps not as reliable? Also nearly £1000 more expensive for the frame

shaungero
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I have the 275 soul atm which I love but if I went down the line of a rocket it would probably have to replace the soul. Thanks Cy but I’m away from Saturday till Christmas so as soon as I’m back I’ll flick through an email to try and sort out a test ride I’m keen as.
    I just love the quality of a cotic and the passion that goes into there bikes wins me over.

Furious

I went to the Cotic demo day this weekend. For background, I normally ride a 2007ish SC Heckler and I live and ride in the Dark Peak but also ride the lakes, Wales, trail centres and in the Alps.

Cy and Paul were brilliant taking time to let us set up the bikes including suspension but also having bikes with different bars and letting us swap stem spacers and different stems. Once we were happy we set off on a short 45 minute loop with two climbs followed by two descents.

Mine was a large and came with XFusion forks, Cane Creek Inline and finished with 2016 XT, including 1×11.

At first I was a tiny bit disappointed in that I was expecting the geometry to feel radically different than my own bike – on the flat it didn’t, at least I didn’t think it did.

The two shortish climbs felt good, I left the shock open as I don’t have a climb switch on my bike and there was little bob and the bike felt very responsive.

Where I did notice a huge difference was when we hit the first descent. Lot’s of cliches will now follow. The bike accelerates really well and just ‘pops’ off things. I got up to speed and felt comfortable really quickly. I felt right in the middle of the bike and could feel both ends of the bike working hard over the terrain. The suspension felt like it worked efficiently all the time if that makes sense, soaking up the bumps while not blowing through it’s travel. First time I’ve spent any real time on a bike with 27.5 wheels but I can’t say I noticed anything different in this aspect.

Bad bits? Not a lot. In the pick it up test, it’s not that light (my Heckler is built quite light) but I didn’t notice any weight penalty when riding. My only other criticism would be the tyres, I don’t know if they were set up tubeless but in retrospect I would have liked to have run them with lower pressure.

For me the bike felt hugely confidence inspiring and I can see why people I ride with on more modern bikes with more modern geometry are faster than me. It felt super stable and I felt quick on it straightaway.

It was really good to spend some time with the people that had designed and developed the bike. Paul was really knowledgeable about different bikes and geometries and was able to explain why they had taken the decisions they had in making the bike. Spent less time with Cy just because he didn’t come on the circuit I did but he was friendly and approachable.

I want one, simple as that. Like my Heckler it will be pretty much my main bike for all my riding and for that it felt perfect. Just have to figure how to afford one…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I want one, simple as that. Like my Heckler it will be pretty much my main bike for all my riding and for that it felt perfect. Just have to figure how to afford one…

Get one bought, they’re not badly priced are they? Cheaper than alot of other options. Plus, it sounds like you keep your bikes for a while, so this being steel, it’ll last. Unlike all the carbon wonder frames that end up cracking….

Furious

Get one bought, they’re not badly priced are they? Cheaper than alot of other options

Not sure my wife sees it as simply as that…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Who went to the Cotic Rocket demo day Saturday? How was it ?’ is closed to new replies.