Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Who was your school band?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Following on from the MUSE thread, which band came from your school?

Mine was Stand College in Whitefield and Elbow.

derek_starship
    Free Member

St. Ambrose Barlow, Swinton. Paul and Shaun Ryder from’t Mondays.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Shed 7.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    theotherjonv

Chemical Brothers

Temposhark

Pure Reason Revolution

(and Natalie Dormer)

squirrelking
    Free Member

None that I know of but the actual school band used to play at internationals at Murrayfield

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Mine. 😃

joshvegas
    Free Member

The proclaimers and Jimmy Shand.

And various Scotland Rugby players.

chakaping
    Free Member

Posh Spice.
    And they wouldn’t have called her that if they’d seen the shit comprehensive she went to, I’m sure.

Drac

Only ‘famous’ former pupil I can think of was Sid Waddell and only found out about that when he died.

RustySpanner

Northside 😥

Well, Paul and Timmy Walsh anyway.

chakaping
    Free Member

Mine

Never heard of them.

Early 90s indie / baggy outfit? Short band names were in style then, eh?

SaxonRider

@derek_starship: You’re from St Ambrose Barlow in Swinton?!? I used to live right around the corner! Small world.

As for my school, I can boast the Crash Test Dummies.

Also a few recorded jazz musicians.

nealglover
    Free Member

Shed 7.

What years were you there ?

derek_starship
    Free Member

@SaxonRider

I did indeed go to St. AB in Swinton, Salford.

So you went to school with Brad Roberts and Ellen Reid?
    I loved CTD back in the day. I saw them at the Manchester Apollo in 1993. One of the best gigs ever.
    Pity they went a bit crap after God Shuffled His Feet. What a fantastic album that is.
    Was Ellen Reid popular? I always fancied her!

brennak

John Helliwell. Supertramp

Manuel and the music of the mountains. Geoff Love

And 2 Nobel prize winners

Bregante

None that I’m aware of but my mate Andy Poole who was in the same band as me at school is now the keyboard player with Peter Hook and The Light. 35 years ago we were playing Joy Divison covers and he still is 😀

derek_starship
    Free Member

Bregante – you’ve just reminded me.

I also went to school with Dave “Pottsy” Potts of Monaco, RAM and currently playing lead guitar with Peter Hook and the Light.

Bregante

Ha! Small world. Andy was in Monaco too and I also work with Peter Hooks’ brother.

richardkennerley

Lad from my year ended up in a band with John Squire, another from the seahorses and a couple of the Verve. Saw them perform at Leeds one year, the tent was packed as people were keen to see John squire, but the tent soon started heamorrhaging people once they started!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

No band from my school but one guys brother was in Principal Edwards Magic Theatre.

SaxonRider

So you went to school with Brad Roberts and Ellen Reid?

Don’t forget Dan!

Anyway, I have to admit I was a few years behind them, so I don’t know exactly how popular Ellen was at the time. I know that, even before they became big, we would admire their pictures in the Alumni gallery. 🙂

They got their start at the Blue Note Café, where any band that was starting out pretty much had to play… including my own. Alas we went nowhere, other than to our respective lives in different parts of Canada.

ajantom

Radiohead, though they’re all about 5 years older than me. I saw them at the Jericho tavern in Oxford a couple of times.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Napalm Death

&

Cancer

🤷‍♂️😂😎

shakers97
    Free Member

They didn’t all go to Stand. Jupp the drummer was at Peel with me. My band supported them a couple of times. They were called Soft in those days.

BoardinBob

Biffy Clyro. The twins were a couple of years below me at school

andytherocketeer

The only one I can think of was The Claim, where at least one past member went to the same school a few years ahead of me, but not sure about the others (I only personally knew one)

singlespeedstu

Not school related but Jason Bonham was a regular at local schoolboy MX meetings and used to ride BMX with us.
    You may know his dad John a bit better…
    I believe he was in a famous band.😉
    Always took his turn standing out in the rain marshaling though and helped quite a few people along the way.
    Proper cool guy.

senorj

When I was at school Francis Dunnery from It Bites “babysat” me a few times. Does that count?

martymac

Eddi reader of fairground attraction.
    Also nippy nicola sturgeon.
    I can’t remember meeting either of them, but of course, they weren’t famous when at school.

ajantom

but of course, they weren’t famous when at school

Similar here…David Mitchell was the same year as me, and I have no memory of him.

ads678

No bands from any of my schools apart from mine, but we were shit and didn’t last long!!

Gok Wan was in the year above me in junior school and Parminder Nagra was in my year at senior school.

matt10214
    Free Member

The lad who played flute on Landscapes ‘Einstein A Go Go’ his dad taught me at Primary School. Talk about clutching at straws!

windyg
    Free Member

Ride – I am friends with Mark Gardener and Andy Bell and we were at School together in Oxford the other 2 members were in the year above me.

b1galus
    Free Member

Bilbo was at school with me couple of appearances on totp then back to obscurity oh and some ofthe bay city rollers

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

David Coverdale – Deep Purple/Whitesnake.
    Steve James – Dogs D’Amour.

I think that’s it.

Was hoping the question was going to be which band on the back of my Haversack – Rainbow 🙂

slowoldman

We did metalwork and tech drawing.

spacemonkey

Robert Smith from The Cure. His locker was a shrine IIRC.

firestarter
    Free Member

I used to love ride windy great band

boxelder

Senior J – was just about to post about Francis Dunnery. You a Wyndham old boy?

I taught at Jarvis C’s school.

SiB
    Free Member

Andy McClusky went to my school….of OMD fame. I think!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Who was your school band?’ is closed to new replies.