Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • who was it that made that gearbox system?
  • scotia
    Free Member

it was in the news on the old site..cant remeber who it was – i think a bigish manufacturer..it was a simple design – quite nice..

brant
    Free Member

Suntour?

snaps
    Free Member

Didn’t Honda make one?

josemctavish
    Free Member

Truvativ?

brant
    Free Member

Suntour

josemctavish
    Free Member

Truvativ? :oP

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

Nicolai have the GBoxx which is the Rolhoff gear box.

http://www.nicolai.net/products/e-frames/e-nuc-tfr.html

IMO this will be the future of mountain bikes, as and when the cost and weight comes down.

josemctavish
    Free Member

I was assuming he meant something more recent than the GBoxx and the Truvativ Hammerschmidt fits the bill, although I probably wouldn’t call it a gearbox.

scotia
    Free Member

yeah it was truvativ! thanks – not a gearbox, it was just we were discussing them in the office today..and it stuck in my head! cheers

molgrips
    Free Member

IMO this will be the future of mountain bikes, as and when the cost and weight comes down.

The weight won’t come down enough. Some things are always going to be heavier.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The weight won’t come down enough. Some things are always going to be heavier.

I’m sure they said that about disc brakes. Sort of two separate points here though – yes gearboxes will probably always be heavier than traditional derailleur set ups, but whether they will always be too heavy is surely not clear cut; don’t you think they could at some point be made light enough?

The Honda system was only ever a derailleur in a can – literally an XTR mech, with a cassette set up in a can placed around the BB. It was heavier because of the extra chain lenghts you needed but you might be able to save weight in other areas e.g. on the rear hub and the wheel in general (no dish means stronger rear wheel).

Molegrips, despite not agreeing, do you still think they will be the future?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘who was it that made that gearbox system?’ is closed to new replies.