Who wants a new phone – cash up front

Home Forum Chat Forum Who wants a new phone – cash up front

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Who wants a new phone – cash up front
  • Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

they’re getting a bit of a kicking over the way they’re managing the kickstarter project.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

The Ubuntu Edge is the next generation of personal computing: smartphone and desktop PC in one state-of-the-art device.

Like the concept, just a shame the software I sell is Windows only. The versions for the Nexus phone & tablets are coming soon I hear.

Toasty

I’m genuinely shocked it’s made as much as it has. £500 for a big rectangular smartphone, running a free operating system, in May 2014.

Buy a Nexus 4 and install:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install

If you’re really that into the idea. Even if they sold the ~40,000 required to hit the Kickstarter figure, that’s a tiny sliver of the smartphone population, why would people switch?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

I guess people are expecting to get something alot better than a Nexus 4 which will be impressive and paying to see the project succeed.

Toasty

Good luck to them then, they’re not actually getting promised much for their money.

CountZero

Even if they sold the ~40,000 required to hit the Kickstarter figure, that’s a tiny sliver of the smartphone population, why would people switch?

I guess there are enough people around who want the freedom to code and hack their own stuff on a mobile device, and don’t want to be involved with Android who would be interested.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

I guess there are enough people around who want the freedom to code and hack their own stuff on a mobile device, and don’t want to be involved with Android who would be interested.

That and looking at the desktop integration side as a one device for everything part of it, this could be an impressive project. I don’t have the cash to stump up but i’d be tempted as the phone could be flashed back to android (95% sure). I’m looking at Some Galaxy Nexus’s on ebay to have a go with it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Who wants a new phone – cash up front’ is closed to new replies.