Who wants a go at defending Amber Rudd?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Who wants a go at defending Amber Rudd?
  • Junkyard

she is not as bad as the previous Home secretary….i have nothing more

Premier Icon Caher
    Subscriber

She’s not as funny as her brother Paul Rudd.

mikewsmith

Defend maybe not but I’m sure there will be plenty offering unpaid overtime to investigate her colleagues.

Rob Hilton

Is the answer Brexit?

Premier Icon frankconway
    Subscriber

Thanks but no.

Her involvement in business through her father’s dodgy dealings have been extensively covered by Private Eye and she has declined to answer all questions.
    The attached article summarises but doesn’t carry the details uncovered by the Eye.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/05/revealed-amber-rudds-father-was-involved-in-business-she-ran-despite-being-declared-unfit

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Could be worse. At least she hasn’t touched anyone’s knee.

I wish the Met had the balls to disband the diplomatic protection group due to budget cuts.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Yip, I can’t see why the government can’t use public transport like a lot of folk in London..

Yip, I can’t see why the government can’t use public transport like a lot of folk in London..

It’s for the public’s safety. No one wants an MP touching them up on the 53 to Whitehall.

Premier Icon timidwheeler
    Subscriber

It’s for the public’s safety. No one wants an MP touching them up on the 53 to Whitehall.

😆

Premier Icon rickmeister
    Subscriber

We moved to Germany from Edinburgh 4 years ago.. still get UK news and TV etc etc. To be honest, there is nothing that would inspire me to go back.

NHS cuts, Police cuts, run down public services…

We do go back to visit my parents and not being there all the time makes a big impression. The UK infrastructure just looked tired, run down, neglected and worn out….

Anything the Govt can control is just squeezed until the last bit of life is wrung from it….

jambalaya

You can’t run a country spending £90bn a year more than you bring in in tax revenue.

@rickmeister why don’t you share with us German income and social security taxes, taxes on utlilities (highest in Europe I believe), VAT on food … I have no problem spending money once its been raised in taxes. Germany aslo under funds NATO by €30bn a year too although they are having to sort that out albeight slowly

DrJ

Who wants a go at defending Amber Rudd?

jambalaya – Member

But you knew that already …

Well played sir.

mikewsmith

You can’t run a country spending £90bn a year more than you bring in in tax revenue.

So let’s raise 90bn via taxation then, simple isn’t it. Proper inheritance tax, skip tax relief on pensions for higher rate tax pars, make any tax deduction only available at the lowest rate etc.

Is that the trumo under funding or the real one?

Mr Woppit

rickmeister – Member
    We moved to Germany from Edinburgh 4 years ago.. still get UK news and TV etc etc. To be honest, there is nothing that would inspire me to go back.

NHS cuts, Police cuts, run down public services…

Headline in the ES this week:

“44 UK towns and cities have air too dangerous to breathe…”

mikewsmith

Oh and count the cost of brexit for no gain into that to Jamba

Rick – you are lucky to live in a country that is running a significant budgetary surplus and is able to invest and pay for stella public services. Unfortunately we in the UK are running a trillion and a half pound debt and growing due to a £50bn a year deficit which now looks like its going to increase as we are preparing to drop ‘austerity’ as a budgetary policy. Pity us yes – we have a severe financial challenge ahead of us against a desperate political and social backdrop.

Not sure I agree about your comment on tired infrastructure. Though we’ve a very long way to go when I look around the busses on the roads are brand new, the railways stations I use are newly refurbished and modernised, the trains I use are brand new and half the roads are currently closed being upgraded/widened/modernised/improved, there are railway disruptions all the time due to the rail network being upgraded/modernised/expanded/improved. Again, a way to go before we’re upto Germany standards, but Germany has been maintaining and continually investing in its infrastructure over the last 50 years and had a blank canvass to work from after the war, so we’re playing catch up big time, but heading in the right direction so not in decline at all.

We’re a busy and densely populated country so upgrading infrastructure is difficult and disruptive and eye-wateringly expensive. We’re in the midst of this, but it’s all for the better ultimately.

And the German health system is performing better than the UK’s….because it is structured very differently to the NHS – all the more reason for us in the UK open its mind and learn from countries like Germany about how we can run our services more efficiently and effectively.

The notion the UK is a rich country is a con. We are a country that earns the 5th (or 6th now?) highest ‘salary’, if you think of GDP as a salary, but we’re not rich. We’re like Jonny Depp – earn a fortune but can easily spend more than we earn and have been doing so for over a century. – We’re bordering on broke so not a surprise when compared to Germany who is one of the few countries int he world running a budgetary surplus and genuinely rich, we don’t necessarily come out that well.

jambalaya

So let’s raise 90bn via taxation then, simple isn’t it. Proper inheritance tax, skip tax relief on pensions for higher rate tax pars, make any tax deduction only available at the lowest rate etc.

Put that in a manifesto, win the election, implement the tax rises and then AFTER you have raised the money (or not) see what you have to spend ? Also show another developed country which has such taxation ?

BTW saw my pension advisor yesterday (Osbourne already changed tax relief for higher (45%) rate taxpayers – its virtually zero already) – as I posted before an NHS surgeon or an MP can have a pension worth £2m at zero cost to themselves but a private sector person is prevented from doing so. Anyway my conversation was all about encashing mine in a tax efficient manner as I forsee future governments seeing pension pots as an easy target, between Brown and Osbourne they have already taken a big swipe. Once money is outside I can move it and myself to a more efficient location (eg resident in Portugal). If you did change pensions as you suggest people would just accept a much lower salary in return for a defined benefit pension – so hmrc and exonomy loses. Or the company just moves the better paid jobs elsewhere

People buy different cars in order to save a £100 or £200 on road tax – a small tax change impacting a purchase of £25-30k. If you change tax laws as above behaviour will change dramatically and amount raised will be far less and impact on economy far greater. If it was as easy as you say @Mike Labour would have done it under Brown instead of running up a deficit of £90bn per anum.

jambalaya

But you knew that already …

Increasingly many of us can’t be bothered. To be honest I am wasting my time here, I was in two minds about posting but its such an easy one. You CANNOT run a country with a budget deficit of the size Labour left us with. Fixing it is very very difficult and we are only halfway to doing so.

Labour ran on an anti-austerity platform at the GE and did much better than expected but still lost.

jambalaya

And the German health system is performing better than the UK’s….because it is structured very differently to the NHS – all the more reason for us in the UK open its mind and learn from countries like Germany about how we can run our services more efficiently and effectively.

This.

Premier Icon rickmeister
    Subscriber

Jamby:

German income and social security taxes, taxes on utlilities (highest in Europe I believe), VAT on food

I know, (Vat at 19%), but as a result I think most of the infrastructure systems are well funded and work… Germany actually admitted a massive surplus over forecasted Tax revenue this year too… most of the tax stuff is a far more complex conversation than I have information on , but I can see whats working and whats not.

Woblinscott: some good points made and its only being here and using the systems that has given a perspective on the UK. Health being one of them. Given NHS is not free (i.e. paid for by general NIC’s), I think what I pay in health insurance could be close to the sum of what used to be my annual NIC’s… the major difference is that the control is not centred on govt… its properly funded and works.

Generalisms are always dangerous and possibly full of missing details but this is the impression I get…

Now, Amber Rudd you say….

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

While I’m not exactly unbiased (I work almost wholly within it) the NHS is consistantly ranked as one of the best, if not The Best healthcare system in the developed world.

Which is either a source of some pride, or panic depending on your view, I suppose 😆

Premier Icon bails
    Subscriber

as I posted before an NHS surgeon or an MP can have a pension worth £2m at zero cost to themselves

Stop lying. An NHS surgeon will pay into their pension via employees contributions taken out of every pay packet.

mikewsmith

BTW saw my pension advisor yesterday (Osbourne already changed tax relief for higher (45%) rate taxpayers – its virtually zero already) –

Heart is bleeding…. Was it not you who was suggesting us style uni fees were awesome?

Junkyard

To be honest I am wasting my time here

I am sure there is a place on the internet where you can say things that are untrue and not get challenged for this. In such a pace you wont feel like a “pantomime villain” for being constantly corrected for your factual inaccuracies.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

And the German health system is performing better than the UK’s….because it is structured very differently to the NHS

Structure? You don’t think it has anything to do with spending?

Source: WorldBank

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Structure? You don’t think it has anything to do with spendng?

I wonder why the spending suddenly started to reduce?

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

People buy different cars in order to save a £100 or £200 on road tax – a small tax change impacting a purchase of £25-30k.

Didn’t the Tories get rid of that helpful CO2 -based rate because it was terribly unfair to people who wanted to by massive phallus cars?

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

In such a pace you wont feel like a “pantomime villain” for being constantly corrected for your factual inaccuracies.

Hounded.

mikewsmith

Imagine of there was a way to avoid being pulled up for being wrong all the time…

Junkyard

HOunded? Robustly challenged and then ridiculed yes.
    He posts things that are shown to be untrue and then he repeats it. If we use the common word for someone who does this then we will get banned – the fact it demonstrably true is irrelevant.

He will always get “hounded”, this is what happens when folk say things that are not true.
    Why he can say things that are not true and we cannot say things that are true is something i dont personally understand.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

If we use the common word for someone who does this then we will get banned

Brexiter?

Premier Icon rickmeister
    Subscriber

But the NHS came 10th on healthcare outcomes, a category that measures how successful treatment has been – a significant weakness that was also identified in 2014

From the guardian article… Please don’t think however, I’m a nhs basher, the people and care provided are superb.

Junkyard

Yes drac we get banned for that clealry, You know what I mean, everyone does, so why pretend.

He is entitled to be pro Brexit he is not entitled to claim things not true like how much we pay ,turkey is joining etc as they are not opinions they are just factual incorrect. See also your an everyone else reaction to the NHS pension claim for another example of the hounding

You know that though but top trolling.

Exits thread.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Yup seen that Rick. Targets for nhs are changing to report outcomes rather pointless ones we have now, hopefully that should see that side improve.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Yes drac we get banned for that clealry, You know what I mean, everyone does, so why pretend.

I genuinely have no idea to be honest.

scotroutes

Which NHS is that report measuring? Only NHS England gets a mention, though the others are managed and operated differently.

I genuinely have no idea to be honest

I’m presuming the word is “liar” or the #jambaliar equivalent. I’ve used it and not been banned but maybe it escaped notice.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Who wants a go at defending Amber Rudd?’ is closed to new replies.