Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • who uses other forums ? How friendly are they ?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Been in here for ages.
    I have a login on Arb Talk and another one on Landyzone but dont hang around there for any banter, just info.

I did used to spend a lot of time on the UK Boarder forum which was fun and met some nice people many years ago. Used to be meet ups at Milton Keynes snowdome IIRC and sometimes beers in London Town.

I dont really have the energy to cultivate such a well-respected, superior, and iconic identity on another forum again.

vickypea
    Free Member

I used the RunnersWorld forum when I used to do a lot of running- it was friendly, and quite lively with good advice.
    I also tried Mumsnet very briefly, when my son was a baby, as it’s very well known and often quoted in the press, but I found it incredibly unfriendly with a nasty element. I saw comments from people saying you had to be a regular poster for a year before you were accepted!

I like STW, lots of humour 🙂

andrewh
    Free Member

Retrobike, Timetrialling fourm and Weightweenies for sepcific bike stuff
    XCRacer for racing stuff
    Transit forum for van stuff
    The TTF, WW and Transit ones take themselves very seriously.
    But mostly here for general stuff and a read of random things. The others are OK but not very active (XCRacer particularly, 50,000 readers a month but about a dozen forum posts)

Pigface
    Free Member

I was on MTB – Wales for a bit and it was a mean sprited haven for tosspots. Some good info but there was a cadre of posters that must of been involved in some kind of love triangle. If one disagreed with you then the rest would weigh in to give you a kicking, reminiscent of how TJ was treated on here.

What happened to it??

richmtb

I used to use Bikeradar.

There were a couple of decent guys on there like Supersonic who would always offer decent advice. There were also a couple of shouty idiots.

Most other forums can be summed up by one phrase:

“HAVE YOU USED SEARCH?”

I like STW for the ability to get an answer on just about anything not just bikes

twoniner
    Free Member

I used to go on Bikeradar until I found this place, there is a user on there called cooldad who is generally a va un ker to almost anyone who posts, and he jumps on every thread. Pretty much killed the whole forum.

yeah, that fella’s after a post count by replying to threads with total rubbish.

I was on there but dont go on anymore. I run my own MTB forum with some mates. It’s not got much traffic but it ticks over and works well for getting together and riding.

I occasionally go onto MTBR forums but found that if you were not a regular poster you were ignored.

I like this place, some good banter, debates and knowledgable people.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

RCUK for road stuff
    Bikemagic, but its full of ***************
    Mind you can ************* swear on there without a ban 😉

5thElefant
    Free Member

muscletalk is exceedingly polite. I’ve always assumed that nobody wants to risk winding up the wrong chemically enhanced meathead.

Pigface
    Free Member

Oooooops sorry I got something wrong, MTB-Wales is the north Wales based one, the one I didnt get on with was based in the South and started by a guy who wouldn’t sell it to some of the “big hitters”

What was it called, aaarrrggghhhhh?????

Kryton57

Edukator – Member
    #checks BM to see who has posted this week#

It seems that most of the good people on BM are also on here and those that used to trash the place know they wouldn’t get away with it here so have gone elsewhere.

Oh the ironing…..

hora
    Free Member

Some brilliant people on Pistonheads. Two really don’t like me (they are used car salesmen) probably because I moaned about the service from a few dealerships and they took it personally… 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

even i know the ironing of that and I have never been on BM

I dont really have the energy to cultivate such a well-respected, superior, and iconic identity on another forum again

You have the time though #shirker # politics of envy

Only two …you must not be trying hard enough

TBH I dont see the point of Internet forums despite using this one…I am not that into it in general I just like here

Kryton57

Junkyard – lazarus
    even i know the ironing of that and I have never been on BM

But he has 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

aye he has mentioned it on here and his “purging”
    Payment sent as well- just reminded me

Kryton57

Ah cheers – I got called to Oxford today so I’ll post tomorrow!

robh

club 80-90 or brickyard? (assumption due to “t25” thread in your history) They can both appear a little rude at times, but there are questions that are repeatedly asked when a quick search would help, think if the WhatTyres threads of old.

Worth persevering as they have a load of information and people are willing to help.

weeksy

Liked:3831 times

Yeah i think i use other forums 🙂

monkey_boy
    Free Member

i use some honda forums for the car and there are some ok people on there but there are some ‘know it alls’ who come back with sarcasitc replies.

to be honest this forum is by far the best for advice and sounding off…

justatheory
    Free Member

I use snowheads a lot in winter and even went on one of their holidays in April. Really enjoyed it and met some very nice people.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

I’m not a big forum user, but on the occasion i do, CTC has always been very helpful, as is UK Climbing (and STW obviously)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh another forum I used to visit, not post on, was the SmartCar forum.

I’d had my Fortwo from new and as you can do a lot withe he cars I thought I’d like to keep up with what folks were doing. There were some very nice folk on there a couple were into tuning and it was funny to find one the most active members lives down the road from me..
    I don’t own Smarts anymore but if you have one, its a good place to go.

scotroutes

mlehworld.com is a friendly forum…

SaxonRider

Pigface – Member

I was on MTB – Wales for a bit and it was a mean sprited haven for tosspots. Some good info but there was a cadre of posters that must of been involved in some kind of love triangle. If one disagreed with you then the rest would weigh in to give you a kicking, reminiscent of how TJ was treated on here.

What happened to it??

Pigface – Member

Oooooops sorry I got something wrong, MTB-Wales is the north Wales based one, the one I didnt get on with was based in the South and started by a guy who wouldn’t sell it to some of the “big hitters”

What was it called, aaarrrggghhhhh?????

No, you are right. It was mtb-wales.com. I know; I had the car window sticker. I don’t agree about the mean-spiritedness, though. As I recall, it was intended to be young person-friendly, and when posters put up things that were vulgar or offensive, they were taken down, which then caused a fuss and accusations of cliqueishness.

I wasn’t part of any clique and always found the people I met off there extremely friendly, and good to ride with.

The only thing I don’t understand is why the owner would have rather let the site completely die, than to sell the domain to one of the long-standing mods who could have done something with it. Essentially, the owner killed his own product.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I use a computer forum quite a bit.

People there get really pissy at anything even slightly OT. The site seems to make quite a bit of cash through sponsors so everything needs to be, absolutely, 100% professional and on topic. There’s an (unofficial) IRC channel which gets much more use as it’s unmoderated.

Made me laugh when I came back here after a hiatus and saw the thread

“recommend a handheld vacuum”

It got three obnoxious (but good natured) responses; nothing remotely helpful though!

globalti
    Free Member

STW for a giggle and some banter.

UKClimbing for mountain and ski-related stuff and a small bike section.

DIYnot.com for mostly plumbing. Some real dickheads on there though.

Businesstraveller.com for, er, business travel.

Land Rover Addict – lost contact now we’ve sold the 90.

Airliners.net for aircraft stuff.

VeloRiders for hardcore roadie stuff.

Cycle Chat for most of my cycling stuff and banter, even a few forum rides – nice crowd with one of two exceptions of idiots desperate to prove their PC credentials by attacking everybody.

thered

Snowheads-which is nice
    Redissue-which is NOT nice

rogerthecat
    Free Member

unfitgeezer – Member
    Have been using another forum for the campervan and its so unfriendly members are rude to the point of just f off will ya never met such a bunch of twits

If it’s Brick-Yard – persevere, there’s some pretty good folks on there but it has been through a bit of a transition recently, seems to be getting back to normal now. The language can be a bit blunt but it’s run by Yorkshirefolks so is a bit direct!

Other than STW, BY and Seabreeze that’s it, all three hobbies covered and no time to watch any others.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I only use Singletrack and a games industry invite-only forum. I used to go on Bike Radar, but I got a bit sick of the rampant misogyny and homophobia, and the PMs from weirdos – one of the downsides of having a women-specific section of a forum – weirdos can easily identify OMG WIMMINS ON THE INTERWEBS THAT RIDE BIKES.

momo

I spend a bit of time on Pistonheads, mainly in the biker banter section and motoforum (UK motorcycle racing forum).
    I’m also on cliosport, very useful forum for information (and member discounts) and a couple of model specific motorbike forums, only usually visit them for info/advice.

sergethesealofdeath
    Free Member

You would all be welcome on BM,
    oh and on topic,
    Landrover.net is good. Retrobike also.

see ya

busydog
    Free Member

I stumbled on this site about 3 years or so ago. Being in the US and having lived in the UK for a 6-month period in an earlier life, have found it to be really a fun place to “hang out”. I think it has a great mix of good advice (MTB & otherwise), good English humor, opinions on a wide variety of subjects and people who rise to the occasion when a poster really has something serious going on in their life.
    I visit a number of sites on different topics, but like some have posted—-many are rife with negativity.

ratherbeintobago

I occasionally use BikeRadar forums, but it’s a lot less friendly than here – seems to be populated by a clique who would probably describe themselves as the sort who don’t suffer fools, but in reality are just rude.

Depends on the forum. Some of them are all right; some of them are populated by utter ****. There are enough of the latter to make my posting there very intermittent.

Weight weenies is good if you have an interest in bling, and in the efforts of random Dutchmen to build an XC bike that’s under the UCI weight limit for road bikes.

good English humor,

Ahem.

bigyinn
    Free Member

On a few forums mostly for information. Spent a lot of time on clubvr4.com. But had to step away when I got rid of my car. Didn’t want to get rid of the car and being on th forum was like rubbing salt in the wound. Still in touch with some good people on there. Used to be a great place. Very inclusive and lots of help and info available to members.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Whilst I only use places where people are mostly polite, I think it is funny how all forums have a guaranteed fight like the helmet debate on cycling forums.

On unicyclist.com, it is posting anything either suggesting that unicycling is a circus thing (in which case you get a load of people saying that they are serious riders), or suggesting that you hate clowns/circus people (in which case performers get annoyed). On the outdoor swimming society one, mention a wetsuit in a vaguely disparaging way, or even mention that you don’t like to wear a wetsuit, and you immediately get into a fight with neoprene clad people who are sensitive about being considered a wuss for wearing one, and woe betide anyone who posts the word ‘wimpsuit’ instead of wetsuit on there.

scaredypants

I don’t use any other forums – where do you find the time ?

Tried BM for a bit years ago but this place was more fun at the time (no fixed usernames and much more general nortyness than now)

Chocolatefoot was (I assume it’s still “dead”) good value, very good sometimes, but I mostly lurked as I didn’t actually know the regulars and that’s just weird on a small forum that’s otherwise full of mates. I wouldn’t use mleh for the same reason

This place is fine by me, despite me not really being that much of a biker 😳

missnotax
    Free Member

I hang out on BikeRadar too – fortunately I’ve been on there for such a long time that most annoying people just leave me alone 😉 I find everyone pretty friendly!

I’ve also been on various car forums over the years; Pistonheads, Seloc etc….

Basically I just like mountain bikes and cars 😳

pictonroad

I bet it was Brickyard the op went on, they’re an er “acquired taste”..

Scapegoat

Cyclechat.net is a good one. Mostly friendly, until you stray into the current affairs and debates section…. Otherwise very beginner friendly, and well modded. More road and commuter based, although a few of us keep the MTb faith.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Landy zone – not at all welcoming at first , get on well with a few of them now and can crack a joke without them decending into burn the heretic

Frontera forum , like edukators 605 forum i suspect if they hadnt done the job they would rip it to bits just to put photos up , very friendly place and very helpful.

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘who uses other forums ? How friendly are they ?’ is closed to new replies.