Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Who uses apples calendar on their phones?
  • chrisyork

Is it me or is the calendar absolutely pathetic?

By that I mean no colour co-ordination for categories just a dot when you have something on that day…. very poor… I guess the idea is you’re meant to use the daily widget more?

PiknMix
    Free Member

It’s not the best is it. My biggest issue is when setting a new event the date you set originally changes and if you don’t notice the event is created under the wrong date.

Yet I use it for everything 🤦🏼‍♂️

prettygreenparrot

For all its many shortcomings It blows Outlook out of the water. Outlook is so awful. Slow. Clunky. Crash prone.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Sandwich

It gets used on mine as a side effect of work using BusyCal (that relies on iCloud for synchronising). You are assigning colours to different calendars in the app? (Each category has to have a separate calendar).

To get the best out of BusyCal you also need their contacts app on whatever computer the calendar is being served from. Contacts get their info synced into the calendar once they are added to an event (iCal doesn’t do this and the Apple contacts app is not up to our particular needs).

GrahamS

Yeah I use it. Agree the phone interface is a bit crap.
    But it’s linked to my Google Calendar(s) and I spend most of my day at a PC so access that via web or use Apple Calendar on the iPad. Only really use it on the phone when someone asks me if I’m free on a particular date/appointment.

jimmy

I was very concerned about the Apple Calendar as soon as I saw it. It’s days are numbered.

flannol
    Free Member

It’s not the best is it. My biggest issue is when setting a new event the date you set originally changes and if you don’t notice the event is created under the wrong date.

+1 this
    So frustrating
    You expect to be able to load calendar, click date, click add and go.
    But no you have to then set the date again from their stupid tiny scrolling system – wtf!

It would be SO easy for them to fix.

zilog6128

But no you have to then set the date again from their stupid tiny scrolling system – wtf!

why are you bothering with that?! Just use Siri to create calendar events! Much quicker.

Although, no, I’ve never (since they allowed you to change the default calendar) used the Apple calendar as it sucks 🤣, always used the Google one instead.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Yes we use simply because the family is on Apple devices.

It is infuriating how you set the start and finish times using a phone. They have actually gone backwards compared to what was a simpler system before.

We find it good though as it’s easily integrates all our family calendars calendars which at least different colours on the planner

Superficial
    Free Member

I use the Google Calendar app on my iPhone. Much easier to read. I still use the Calendar app on my laptop though.

slowoldman

Works for me but my diary isn’t exactly overflowing.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Im so glad it’s not just me.

jimdubleyou

Even Blackberry calendar is better than the Apple one, but my work don’t allow access to work calendars on personal phones…

I don’t have much in my personal calendar, but imo, the integration is just about worthwhile using the app with your google calendars instead of the g-cal app.

Might take a look at what google have done with widgets though, it’s been a while since I looked.

jambourgie
    Free Member

So what do people recommend for a cross-device Calendar? I use an iPhone and a Windows laptop. At the moment I’m using Thunderbird on the laptop, just cos I always have. But it doesn’t to my knowledge sync with anything. So no calendar app on the phone.

Really hoping the answer isn’t Google. Yes, I know all the other giants are prob just as bad, but there is something especially evil about Google that I can’t quite put my finger on.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I was very concerned about the Apple Calendar as soon as I saw it. It’s days are numbered.

Nice 😉

I don’t mind it, to keep Home / Work separate I use it for my personal life, which in hindsight is fraught with peril because I’m forever booking work stuff at the same time as private stuff I need to do in my usual working hours like Hospital visits and Childcare / WFH commitments etc, so I’m an idiot.

Duggan

I use it but agree not being able to colour-code appointments when looking on your phone is ridiculous.

I also use an app called Todoist which is cross-platform but its more of a to-do list app than calendar really.

chrisyork

Ouch sorry I just remembered I created this thread, it really is absolutely terrible as an app!

No distinction from one day to another, there surely must be a better way using Apple calendar. We’ve just started doing rolling weekly shifts and as I add to the calendar I literally can’t tell if it’s a weeks holder I’ve got or a shift week without going into it.

All the app development and the calendar still sucks ass, very weird

Sandwich

If a shift is going to last for most of the day you could use the all-day marker which puts a bar at the top of the day in week/month view.

CountZero

I’ve used it for years, and while it can be frustrating at times, I really have no need for anything fancy, it’s just for upcoming events like birthdays and gigs, and some things allow an event to be created directly, just needing a bit of tweaking like start and end times, and setting reminders.
    I certainly don’t need it for work at the moment, but that may change soon, as discussion is taking place re the introduction of Continental shift patterns, so keeping tabs on that may become necessary.
    Not entirely keen, but overall fewer hours worked per year, and more money, so I’ll suck it up, I guess, I’ll just need to be able to see which days I’m actually working.
    What I do find useful is the column view of all upcoming events in a scrollable list, which I find easier to use.

hot_fiat

Yes I use it, yes it’s crap. Worst feature (apart from the awful interface) is the public holiday list they use. I suspect they asked a focus group of spoons customers what should be in there. Apparently Shrove Tuesday, Earth Day and Ash Wednesday are all non working days in Apple world.

chrisyork

I agree those days in there are comical but also frustrating as you look and go ahh I’m busy sometime in that day, switch to landscape mode and see it’s actually Earth day and you’re not busy at all 😆

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Who uses apples calendar on their phones?’ is closed to new replies.