Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • Who still washes their own car rather than take it to the car wash?
  • Kryton57

I Paraffin soaked rags…. Gives me a warm glow…

. 😯

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

yes the same reason I wash my own bike. Although can be tempted to machine wash when they drop the price below £2

scaredypants

winters ooh now they were proper winters and you could leave your front door open.

You don’t wanna be leaving your door open when it’s cold out, Drac – crazy talk !

dudeofdoom

And the sun shone everyday in the summer, winters ooh now they were proper winters and you could leave your front door open.

An lightsabre battles in the dusk – them was great times
    , whip the stylophone out for a quick tune 🙁

I wouldn’t ever bother let anyone wash my car an swirl my paint up. Keep it as a pleasent 30mins relax on the summer nights(double bucket) and machine polish once a year.

allthepies
    Free Member

I use the local Serbian dudes, £5 for external clean, £10 for the full monty.

Or I may clean it myself, dodgy back currently though so the Serbs get the gig.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Car gets washed once a month, done by me about twice a year. I vacuum it out every couple of weeks. It would be done more often if I used the car more, only drive once a week and had better access to a hose/drive.

globalti
    Free Member

Three quid for a good wash here in Bury, thanks to the local Syrian/Iraqi/Kurdish wash team. They actually do a better job than I can because they finish it off with some kind of hydrophobic polymer that makes it shiny. If you pay a fiver they’ll do the door shuts and dry the car off with a chamois.

I hope they’re not slaves working for peanuts for a gang master.

I keep on top of it at home though because I never know when I’m going to get a call from an overseas customer who has turned up at the airport or the station.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have only been to the car wash once or twice

Would much rather clean it meself at home

lunge

The local East European guys sort our car out, £5 for a wash and wax, £15 for a mini-valet. The latter means the car comes out looking perfect and gets done maybe twice a year.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I do mine when I was my bike, every few weeks or so. I drive to the trails in the car with the bike on the back, then when I get home I have to run the hose through the house to wash the bike and by the time I’ve done that I may as well wash the car- it only takes 10 minutes. I like my car and it’s the most expensive thing I own so I don’t mind looking after it. It’s very rare I’d pay someone to do it.

I’ll hoover it out myself too once every 3 or 4 months, usually after we’ve been on holiday in it.

I told myself I’d never become “that guy”, always washing my car, but now I own a newish one I do it. I feel embarrassed and I think the neighbours think I’m a bit sad.

stumpy01

Mugboo – Member

They won’t be gentle enough with my rusty bits..

stevedoc – Member

I find the couple of hours I spend doing it properly a good way to relax ,therapeutic I guess ,

This and this for me….
    Although it’s my wheels that would get destroyed by the cleaning gangs – the lacquer is peeling quite badly and it’s really not worth spending the money having them refurbed. But, the aggressive wheel cleaner coupled with a jetwash would see them completely wrecked.

Plus, if I have the time I quite enjoy the process of cleaning the car; just switch off and do it. I find it quite therapeutic.

Annoying thing though is that my car never looks really clean as the paintwork is too old with too many scratches & scuffs. Might run a clay bar over it at some point to see if that helps….

jamesfts
    Free Member

I like to keep mine looking tidy for meeting clients etc and would like to do it my self but in reality I just don’t have time so found a good local hand wash I trust to do a good job, use quality kit and not make a mess of the car.

Depends a bit on the car too, I quite enjoy washing/polishing the old Alfa but have no enthusiasm for cleaning the VRS.

I have heard horror stories about some hand wash places using quite nasty stuff to get the dirt off which ends up bleaching black plastic and rubber trims etc. Not good so always worth asking what they’re using.

40mpg

I’m too tight to pay anyone else to clean my car.

I washed my car a few weeks back. As I was doing it, I thought to myself, these wheels are a lot easier to clean than the last car. Then I realised it was the first time i’d done this – I’d had it 11 months 😳

hora
    Free Member

My bro in law keeps his cars spotless/immaculate. I borrowed a car once and gave it back- after giving it a really good clean. His face said otherwise as he pointed out the various bits that’d missed 😯

My car gets washed at winter. Well a powerwash under arches/body. NOTHING else unless a servicing garages does it.

It has black paint too so apparently it gets dirty.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m too tight to pay anyone else to clean my car.

Me too. It’s such a quick and easy job. About once a month whenever it looks dirty.
    Or when I book it in for service or MOT at my brother’s place, the interior gets done as well, by his “Polish man”. No way I’m paying anyone!

There was a thread on here recently with some really anal car washing techniques described – have they all left the forum now?!

jimbobo
    Free Member

Properly once a month, rub over with hot water and chamois weekly. “properly” involves waxes, polishes and toothbrushes.

DaveRambo

I’ve always washed my own car(s). It gets done every couple of weeks or whenever it looks a mess – which now I have a black car can easily be weekly – For me it’s a pleasure to do a bit therapeutic and gets me out of doing other jobs.

Never even been in a car wash

MrsR’s view of washing a car is to get it valeted – chap did a very good job and saved me a couple or 3 hours.

theotherjonv

Allthepies; where are the local Serbians? There used to be a place in Farnham but that’s shut and i have an ‘urgent’ commission, given my dear daughter saw fit to redecorate the rear passenger area last night. Wetwipes and Neutrodol only go so far……

She also sharted on my settee later on, but that’s leather – thank Christ.

Northwind

TBH I’m mostly worried what mine might look like, under its protective coating of mud and dead animals. It gets washed once a year, for the MOT- not because I think it makes a difference but because I’d be afraid of being sued after it gives the testers dengue fever or something

richmtb

Let some muppet swirl up your paint with sponge?

Never let anyone else wash my car.

This

Plus I enjoy doing it. Car gets cleaned and aqua waxed every couple of weeks.

Twice a year it get a full on clay bar and hand wax / polish. Its quite satisfying seeing the car sitting shining in the sun once I’m finished

footflaps

Mine gets washed once a year the day before they pick it up and drop off the new one (company car).

jambalaya
    Free Member

As an aside the Eastern European car in Guildford/Surrey is £15-18 for a wash (they do a very good job). Handwash in central London is £25

benp1

Everytime I’ve had the car cleaned a bird poos on the car or I go somewhere filthy

So I don’t really clean it. Wife goes to the local place, it’s £6 in North London!

Car is filthy though, inside and out, should take it somewhere I guess

jools182
    Free Member

I wash mine

A bucket costs a quid

Takes all of 15 minutes

lazy swines

alpin
    Free Member

I would love to be able to take the van to a hand car wash once a month, but despite the proximity to eastern Europe there aren’t any eastern European run car wash places. Only hand wash option I’ve found costs 55€.

And with the van being a lwb with black with shiny bumpers and us living in the middle of town with only on street parking then there is little chance of me doing it by hand.

globalti
    Free Member

Plus I enjoy doing it. Car gets cleaned and aqua waxed every couple of weeks.

Explain aqua-wax plese. Is that the polymer I mentioned, which makes water run off? What do you use?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I actually wish I had more time to clean the cars but the wife tends to kick off a bit if I spend a full day of the weekend doing nothing but cleaning the cars. I don’t go to the extent of ‘detailing’ them but do the pre-wash, jet wash, lambs wool mit with 2 buckets, dry with a proper AG towel and then quick detailer as well as tyre dressing and glass cleaner. If they need it then polish and wax as well. The Polo desperately needs doing properly as its not really been looked at since I got it but the van is in the body shop for a week soon so the Polo will be getting some proper TLC.

As someone else said, I find it therapeutic. Which is odd as I rarely clean my bikes and pay someone to clean my house but my cars… thats my job 😀

footflaps

As someone else said, I find it therapeutic.

I can relate to that, I find cleaning the house therapeutic….

richmtb

Explain aqua-wax plese.

Autoglym Aquawax: Its basically a thin wet wax.

After you’ve cleaned the car you spray it on the car (it actually works better if the car isn’t completely dry) let it dry for a few minutes and then buff off.

It gives the car a thin layer of wax protection, its nowhere near as long lasting as a proper hand wax with something like Meguiars or Autoglym HD but its very easy to use and gives a good top up to a proper yearly or twice yearly hand wax. It takes maybe an extra 15 minutes to use the aqua wax at the end of a wash

stumpy01

DezB – Member

There was a thread on here recently with some really anal car washing techniques described – have they all left the forum now?!

I use two buckets; one with hot water & the car shampoo stuff in and one with just clean water that I use to rinse the cleaning mitt in between panels.
    It’s an easy and inexpensive way of separating all of the grit that comes off your car, from the water that you are subsequently using to wash the rest of the car. It’s impressive how dirty the rinse water goes & how clean the shampoo water stays.

If I had a jetwash I’d buy some of that foaming traffic film remover that you spray on in thick suds and let sit for 5 mins. It’s the equivalent of soaking a baking tray & lifts all the dirt off. I saw a forum post where a bloke used it on a filthy dirty Audi estate and without even touching the car, upon rinsing it the car was very clean.
    I’ll try & find the link…..

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=200198

although I do wonder how clean it would have been with just a jetwash with water & no soap stuff.

Marko

I don’t use the Polish/Somali/Cuban* ones because:

I doubt they declare the income.
    I doubt they pay business rates.
    I doubt they pay Vat.
    I doubt they have the correct environmental controls in place.

I’m surprised so many of the good denizens of STW use and seem to approve of these ‘hand jobs’.

* Please insert your local operatives country of origin here.

Marko

jimjam
    Free Member

Romania, at least the employees are. The owner drives a Bentley and is not.

Anyway, I wash my own car. I’ve seen people at car washes throw a sponge on the ground, power-hose it, then straight back on the car.

globalti
    Free Member

A jetwash alone doesn’t get dirt off; you need to rub with a sponge or cloth.

nealglover
    Free Member

I ran a mobile Valeting/Detailing business for a while, and I was a lot more expensive than the one in the OP 🙂

Although I was doing a totally different job to be fair, machine polishing and paint rectification on the majority of jobs, and full interior detailing was the norm.

Very expensive wax jobs, concourse preparation for car show “trailer queens” etc.

I would never have used the term “car wash” though, far too low rent 😉

With my own vehicles now, I would not go anywhere near any of the drive through “hand wash” places, the stuff they use is far too aggressive (to make the job easy and quick) and the damage they do to paintwork with gritty sponges and cloths is shocking.

That’s the reason they spray on the liquid wax stuff at the end, it’s full of fillers to mask the swirl marks and micro scratches caused.

I spent loads of my time stripping paint clean of it, and repairing/removing the swirls with a fast rotary machine and then putting proper protection on.

I shouldn’t complain as they kept me in business pretty well, but if you want to look after your car, avoid them like the plague.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

A jetwash alone doesn’t get dirt off; you need to rub with a sponge or cloth

Depends how powerfull it is and how close you get.

[ runs and hides from the OCD car cleaning types detailers [/b]]

As for the origainal question, occasionaly, but livingi a flat it’s a major PITA so usualy only if we’re round the inlaws, if you leave it on their drive long enough it cleans itself, must be some sort of magic rain in Winnersh!

£15 to get the local eastern european car washers to do it, including hand wax on the bonnet/wings and de-greasing the inside of the windscreen*.

*this isn’t on their normal list, but it needs more than a quick wipe by the time it’s dirty enough that I’ll take it in!

Wheel’s need refurbing now, but they’r more flippin costly than getting some s/h off a breakers on ebay!

but if you want to look after your car, avoid them like the plague.

Different ends of the scale though.

[Your car is jusdged under harsh fluorescent light in a big exhibition hall somewhere in the midlands]—————[your car is drug dealer black]—————–[you occasionaly call chips away]——————–[you think a rattle can from halfords is an acceptable colour match]

miketually
    Free Member

Handwash in central London is £25

That’s about 2% of the value of our car.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I can relate to that, I find cleaning the house therapeutic….

I am another person who finds this to be true, its about pride of ownership too. My car is not just an A to B tool, likewise my home isn’t just a crashpad

pictonroad

I lease a Skoda Octavia, it’s a grim looking thing dirty or clean. It’s used to cart kids and bikes around. Picked it up in November 2012, not cleaned yet, it seems to have reached a sort of dirty equilibrium. On a misty day, all the import data that was stuck on the windscreen re-appears as an apparition.

I might take it to the local car wash types though, the interior is annoying me now.

The van gets done properly twice a year, takes about 12 bloody hours, never buy a red car people, they fade.

MoreCashThanDash

We spend a fair amount of time making sure hand car washes are in the business rates list around here. Once we’ve got any translation issues resolved!

nealglover
    Free Member

Different ends of the scale though.
    [Your car is jusdged under harsh fluorescent light in a big exhibition hall somewhere in the midlands]—————[your car is drug dealer black]—————–[you occasionaly call chips away]——————–[you think a rattle can from halfords is an acceptable colour match]

Yes there are different ends of the scale, some people just don’t care, and that’s fair enough, I’ve got no issue with that.

But generally they aren’t the people who go to these places every week or fortnight.

In my experience, the people that do use the local drive through hand car wash regularly, are people that do actually want to look after their cars, and they think they are doing so by getting it washed by hand rather than by a machine (which is technically correct, but not much of a difference generally)

And it’s not just just visible under scrutiny either, it’s visible any time the car is relatively clean, and in sunlight. I see it every sunny day and pretty much any car that darker than mid grey.

Anyone who wants to protect their car and not damage it would do well to avoid them. Do it yourself or get someone who knows what they are doing to do it for you. If you get a decent quality hard wax application, you could leave it six months between washes and it won’t do it any real harm (maybe jet wash under the arches occasionally if you go anywhere muddy)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Who still washes their own car rather than take it to the car wash?’ is closed to new replies.