Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Who still has a CRT TV as there only/ main TV?
  • allthepies
    Free Member

Panasonic widescreen CRT, must weigh about 50kg!

The thing refuses to die 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

I vaguely remember thinking the picture wasn’t as nice when we got rid of a knackered CRT (one of those bizarre small-form big-screen Samsungs that weighed more than was possible for something of their size ([edit]probably same thing as above!)) for a Plasma.
    But that was so long ago, I really can’t remember what a CRT’s picture looks like and I can’t see myself ever caring.

RustySpanner

Flat screens are excellent, now.
    They were pretty crap for standard def broadcast for ages though, to be honest.

Our first 24 inch (ooh the decadence) flat screen, about 8 years ago,was a blocky, laggy mess.
    Ace for gaming and DVD’s though.
    🙂

I can see the vinyl comparison, but music has a deeper emotional connection for most of us, surely?

I get the nostalgia for vinyl, love the whole process myself.
    But I can’t get nostalgic about old TVs or crappy VHS tapes.

Emulation v consoles?
    My neice and husband have a room full of old consoles (mostly mine 🙂 ) and games.
    Everything from Binatone Pong, all my old SNES stuff, consoles I’ve never heard of.
    Even they don’t have a CRT though, they use a projector.
    4 player Bomberman is still fantastic. 🙂

I’ve got a DS, Wii, PS2 & 3 and a GameCube at home.
    The Sony things are pretty much appliances, really, but I do love using the Nintendo stuff.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jimdubleyou

Are all the people still watching CRTs still riding 26″ rigid MTBs?

Upscaling of SD signals is a LOT better than is used to be, and HD signals are available for quite a lot of the main channels.

chakaping
    Free Member

I fancy a CRT for pre HDMI gaming. Sega, Nintendo and ps1/ps2 look dogshite on a plasma or led.

Keeping ours in the play room for the kids to do just this.

Yak

Whut? There are other types of bike? Get out! 😀

stumpy01

Cougar – Moderator

….but beyond that it really should be consigned to the same bin as the vinyl so beloved of half-deaf 50-somethings who still think the sound of frying chips in the background adds to the experience.

Not if they’re still working though, shirley? I suppose it depends on how much you care about the picture quality. Yes, I’m sure a new HD TV is better than the CRT sat in the corner of our living room. But replacing it with a flat screen will cost at least £500 I reckon, whereas keeping it doesn’t cost anything!
    Would an HD flat screen make Emmerdale come alive??!!

But what do I know….the car I’ve just got rid of was over 12 years old and didn’t even have an input for an MP3 player! Pretty archaic. And my phone was 3 years old at the start of this month, so is apparently a dinosaur. But hey, it still works and does everything I want without bother. Fancy that!!

jimdubleyou – Member

Not rigid, but both of my mountain bikes are 26″ and I am considering taking the boingy forks off my On One and replacing with some carbon rigid, as they will be more suitable for the sort of riding I use it for.
    Oh, the shame – they’re both still 3×9 too because keeping the cranksets is cheaper than buying new ones with less rings…!!

nbt

29″ rather than 26″, but yes I’m still riding rigid. My 26″ bike is bouncy at both ends though

I’m not a luddite, just too tight to pay out good money to replace something that’s working fine. I don’t value TV highly enough to want to spend that money, it’s only TV at the end of the day

singletrackmind

There might be a reason why people with CRT TV’s can live in houses that are worth £750K.
    Possibly because they dont waste money on consumerism and fad following and bought something decent in the first place that ( as if by magic/its a christmas miracle ) is still working prefectly after 20 years so why change it?

GrahamS

a lot of flat screen TV’s seem to make ‘real’ stuff look like it’s animated. Could just be how they are set-up though?

One of the things I noticed when we switched was that the sharper LCD picture meant I could see the edges of the MPEG compression tiles that had previous been softened in the blur.

Until I got used to it I felt like I was watch TV through a small net. Still annoys me sometimes, especially on dark scenes.

Cougar

Upscaling of SD signals is a LOT better than is used to be, and HD signals are available for quite a lot of the main channels.

And the quality of some broadcast SD is a lot worse than it used to be, which I reckon is at least in part why SD looked “better” on a CRT. You’re not comparing the same things.

replacing it with a flat screen will cost at least £500 I reckon

For something comparable to the size of a larger CRT you’re looking at a quarter of that. £500 will net you a 49″ monster 4K from a respected manufacturer.

stumpy01

Cougar…yeah, you can get cheap flat screens in 32″ or so.

But, the house we moved to 5 years ago has a long lounge. It’s fine for us two with a 32″ tv as we sit towards the end of the room where it’s sited.
    But, if we have people round who are sat on the sofa at the other end of the room, the tv does look a little small so when we do finally replace it we’ll probably be looking at something like 48″…

We’d have to buy a blu-Ray at the same time 😀 with the associated extra cost of blu-Ray discs and then I’d have to buy a surround set-up and probably a NAS to hook put to it…and…erm…..

redthunder
    Free Member

I have one For Sale 🙂

Samsung 40Inch LCD TV (4years old). Excellent condition and working.

£75

Bristol Area…mail me 🙂

Cougar

We’d have to buy a blu-Ray at the same time

If it’s any help, my BD player has been dormant for years. If fact, I’ve got a spare I’d let go for not much money.

And you could wall-mount a flat-screen in the middle of the room rather than relegating a big box set to the end.

richpips
    Free Member

The only reason I think I might get rid of our B+O CRT is that I struggle to read subtitles now. I think subtitles have been shrunk since they presume most folk have enormous screens.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

And the fact a big CRT gulps £50 or leccy a yr vs £10 for a LED. 70p for an iPhone FYI.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Who still has a CRT TV as there only/ main TV?’ is closed to new replies.