Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)
  • Who stays in Scotland?
  • burnsybhoy
    Free Member

One thing you might notice if you ask us a question and we aren’t sure, we will reply “how?” instead of “why?!”

perchypanther
    Free Member

we will reply “how?” instead of “why?!”

As in…

Gonnae no dae that?

How?

Jist gonnae no!

fasthaggis

[video]https://youtu.be/8yoOfHfCQ0w[/video]

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

Will someone think of the wains?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Pew-geot

Well it’s at least closer to the proper pronunciation (Poo-geot) than the berks that pronounce it Per-jo.

The car needs washed – I thought that was normal?!?

Matt – weans

Half the members seem to write it as it is said, ken?

Well that’s Fifers for you. Eeh?

GrahamS

Obviously when someone tells ye “whuar they’re fae” the correct response is to query their taste in headwear:

“Wear the fox hat?”

scotroutes

Or their choice of winter footwear.

Furry boots?

fasthaggis

Well that’s Fifers for you. Eeh?

Fifers aren’t Scots,they are beamed in from space 😛

gordimhor

https://youtu.be/V2krmvOCBJI
    At least one of these folk is fay fife

peterfile
    Free Member

The other one that I notice – and see on here a lot – is to drop “to be” from sentences, e.g. “The car needs to be washed” is written/spoken as “The car needs washed.”

OMITN – you picked a particularly relevant example 🙂

Apparently the “construction displays sensitivity to no significant sociolinguistic factors other than race”

scotroutes

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAz_UvnUeuU[/video]

Stoner
    Free Member

^ Im so glad I WFH. That’s ace, and I’m giggling like a loon.

ourmaninthenorth

Just off for a meeting with a Glaswegian colleague. I shall see how Anglicised he has become when I ask him where he stays.

ourmaninthenorth

@ peterfile – helpfully they provided a map showing where the Scots immigrants landed and settled….

iainc

Glasgow/Refrewshire background here :

I stay in East Kilbride

I live in my house

🙂

my kids have picked up the phase of someone ‘giving them into trouble’ – I hate that effin phrase ! 🙂

bigjim

on a related note I’ve recently found out the word “outwith” is Scottish, you can’t use it in things like scientific journals for example where you need to use proper english.

Other ones possibly more local to Inverness:

that instead of those – “that ones there”

yous – “what are yous doing later?”

kcal

‘yous’ is more often West of Scotland is it not?

more often thought of a ‘youse’…

Dialect / inflections take a while to twig — round here vowels get transmuted so that “Asda’ the supermarket becomes “Auusda’ and so such that no word seems to contains the original cast of vowels..

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/RfnsVqwF05M[/video]

jamiep
    Free Member

mine’s

ourmaninthenorth

on a related note I’ve recently found out the word “outwith” is Scottish

That’s always been my observation. I discovered it when dealing with a Scottish lawyer who seemed to pepper their sentences with it.

But they never said “inwith” in place of “within”….

yous’ is more often West of Scotland is it not?

more often thought of a ‘youse’…

I lived in Manchester for long enough to hear this regularly from the locals. I suspect it’s class based and more likely to be found from the Midlands northwards.

km79
    Free Member

Whit age ye?

BoardinBob

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hilarywardle/scottish-sentences-that-will-confuse-the-****-out-of-ever#.vx2VDPLK0

Spam filter is a pain but replace **** with the f-word…

1. “I had a awfy guid Hogmanay.” – I don’t remember the first three days of this year.

2. “I’m doing Drynuary.” – I’ve stopped drinking during the day.
    3. “What’s for you won’t go by ye.” – You’ll probably never get a job but I thought I should at least try to cheer you up.

4. “Awrite, ****?” – How are you, my dearest, oldest friend?
    5. “Gonnae no dae that, pal?” – I will literally kill you if you do that again.

6. “You’re looking awfy peely-wally, son.” – You’re looking even more pale than usual.
    7. “Lang may yer lum reek.” – I’m saying this because it’s New Year, but I have no idea what it actually means.

8. “I was heavy MWI last night.” – I had five Bacardi Breezers then spent the rest of the night taking selfies in the toilet.
    9. “Fancy a munchy box and some telly round at mine?” – Netflix and chill?

10. “Ye make a better door than a windae.” – Move your heid out of the way, I’m trying to watch Taggart.
    11. “Am gonnae wallap ye wan!” – I’m a tad miffed.

12. “It’s boiling oot.” – It’s over 11 degrees.
    13. “Taps aff time!” – Behold! I must reveal my incredible pecs.

14. “Incredible pecs.” – Pasty, white beer belly.
    15. “Fancy a wee drink?” – Fancy several very large drinks?

16. “If ye don’t speak the lingo awa’ back hame!” – I’m a racist.
    17. “Ah, ya bastart!” – Ouchy!

18. “I’m just away oot for my messages.” – I’m off to buy a multipack of crisps, some Tennent’s, and a pint of milk.
    19. “Fancy going for a quick swally after work?” – Fancy staying out until 3am?

20. “Dinnae fash yersel’.” – Don’t bother, you’ll just mess it up anyway.
    21. “Where’s the Slam Tent, mate?” – I have taken many, many drugs.

22. “Lorraine Kelly? Naw, she’s a bit naff.” – She’s a national treasure and I’m in love with her.
    23. “I cannae mind what happened last night.” – I most certainly do remember what happened last night, but I’m buggered if I’ll admit it.

24. “Awa’ with that birthday caird pish.” – Please stop showing heartfelt emotion, it’s not Scottish.
    25. “Wanty grab some lunch?” – Want to run to Greggs and back in the rain?

26. “Tourists? Aye, they’re a great asset to Scotland.” – I wish they’d all piss off.
    27. “Scotland is so beautiful in winter.” – I’m so incredibly, painfully cold.

28. “Aye, I can give you directions to the castle.” – Do they not have maps where you come from?
    29. “You’ll huv hud yer tea?” – I would rather cut my own arm off than provide you with food.

30. “That’s pure boufin’, hen!” – Please stop eating that egg sandwich at your desk.
    31. “Yer maw.” – I can’t think of a good comeback because I’m deeply unimaginative.

32. “Am away fir a kip. Shattered!” – I’m bored so I’m going to my room to look at my phone.
    33. “Did ye see the Scotland game last night?” – I’m deeply, utterly sad and disappointed.

34. “Ye want yer square go?” – I want people to think I want to fight you so they think I’m hard, but I’m very much hoping you decline.
    35. “Look at Tam’s motor, he must be minted.” – Tam’s got a 1998 Subaru Impreza.

36. “This is pure giein’ me the boak!” – I just tried salad for the first time.
    37. “Rab had a wee bitty too much to drink last night.” – Rab punched a police horse and then shat in a bus shelter.

38. “Ah’ve got meh eh on a peh.” – I’m from Dundee.
    39. “Fit shoe fits fit fit?” – I’m from Aberdeen.

40. “Did ye, aye?” – You lying sod.
    41. “Yes.” – A profound political statement.

42. “No.” – An equally profound political statement.
    43. “Tunnock’s.” – Traitors.

bigjim

‘yous’ is more often West of Scotland is it not?

No idea, all I have to go on is everyone said it at my school north of Inverness but no one says it down here in Edinburgh

BlindMelon
    Free Member

What about meeting someone at, ‘the back of 4’ Why not just say a quarter past or whatever time you really mean.

poly
    Free Member

But they never said “inwith” in place of “within”….

Because outwith does not mean without! It means out side of.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Fifers aren’t Scots,they are beamed in from space

As pointed out, that’s Taysiders you’re thinking of 😉

The Kingdom is a ‘special’ place…

squirrelking
    Free Member

Fifers aren’t Scots,they are beamed in from space

As pointed out, that’s Taysiders you’re thinking of 😉

The Kingdom is a ‘special’ place…

paladin

im not sure now. in the past, i’d of just opened my mouth and the (correct or incorrect) words would’ve come out. now i’m thinkin about it, i dont know what id say……
    thanks MLC

bencooper
    Free Member

“Set Phasers to malky” cracks me up every time 😀

onehundredthidiot

Don’t forget its only in Scotland that two positives make a negative.

“Aye, right”

jimmy

I say “stay” and “dinnae” and “ken” and “youse” to fit in. Living in Edinburgh, I get looked at funny.
    “youse?!! Where are you from?!”
    eh, Yorkshire.
    “…..huh??”

squirrelking
    Free Member

Don’t forget its only in Scotland that two positives make a negative.

Meanwhile in England two negatives remain negative.

“I don’t want no eels”

dirtdiggler
    Free Member

Had to think about this…..

Stay, definitely stay in Fife 😀

Lived in Edinburgh and London in the past though.

legend
    Free Member

dirtdiggler – Member
    Stay, definitely stay in Fife

Nothing makes me happier than a Fifer stating that they are staying there #shutthebridges!

Vader
    Free Member

What do you call a scotsman with one foot in his house and one in his garden?

Hamish

Indeed

I use outwith all the time and take great amusement in overiding spellchecker. Nobody ever bats an eyelid in North Britain. When I was at one of the #ourland demos last summer there was a brief discussion about the use of the term ‘Stay’ and the best explanation was that it was a result of the pre-clearance way of life whereby people had tenancy to stay on land. They didn’t live there they stayed there. Until they got told to go. ‘I dinnae want tae go tae america!’

Rubber bumpers!

Davie McKenzie!

Vader
    Free Member

Fifers! Don’t get me started. Was working on a site in anstruther a few years back, gadge walks down the other side of the road and shouts out ‘Thas a braw stane wall tha!’ WTF?

It’s borderline Officer Crabtree I tell you.

I got mates in Rosshire who get their wives to answer open and reply to texts. Plus you never know what time zone they are on! GMT, Black Isle time, nobody’s got a clue!

br
    Free Member

on a related note I’ve recently found out the word “outwith” is Scottish, you can’t use it in things like scientific journals for example where you need to use proper english.

When an ex-IT Director used this on a call with an English company there was a silence – so I interjected to explain what it meant. Afterwards she expressed surprise that they didn’t know, as she assumed it was a general British expression, having always used it.

househusband
    Free Member

I am from outwith Fife in more ways than one… but I do, incredibly, like it where I stay live.

gwaelod
    Free Member

I used to bide in Aberdeenshire. I had a bidey-in as well, although I married the quine

scotroutes

That’s unusual. Being from Aberdeen I’d have expected you to have married your sister.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Who stays in Scotland?’ is closed to new replies.