Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • Who stays in Scotland?
  • midlifecrashes

So after talking to a mate over the weekend, he’s English, his wife Scottish. He lives there, she stays there. It’s got me thinking about the use of the word stay to mean live, reside, make your home there, whatever. But some other Scots I know use live rather than stay. Just wondering, is the use of the term split geographically? A class thing? Is it more pure scots to use it and only the incomers using live? If you stay one day do you live the next(i.e. is it interchangeable). What proportion use it, 45% maybe? 🙂
    Just curious.

jamiep
    Free Member

Ive been up here 13 years and I use ‘stay’. One of the only few dozen words I have picked up (there are some good Scots words that are good alternatives or fill missing gaps) although kept all of my Nth Derbyshire/Sth Yorkshire accent. Ive on ever heard Stay here – Edinburgh, so not exactly deepest Scotland

thegreatape
    Free Member

I stay here

scotroutes

I do 🙂

It’s always been stay. It’s a common usage of the word throughout the country.

kcal

interesting highlight – hadn’t thought of it before.

Up here (NE Scotland) the dialect would be ‘bide’ (as in “far d’ye bide?) which is more ‘stay’.

Though I would say I ‘live’ in Scotland.. hm.

GrahamS

Up here (NE Scotland) the dialect would be ‘bide’ (as in “far d’ye bide?) which is more ‘stay’.

And a bit lower down the country it is “comfy”.

As in “Wur-d’ye comfy?”

SaxonRider

In French (at least in français québécois), it is expressed the same way.

So, ‘Je restais au Québec pendant 4 ans’ instead of ‘Je vivais’.

bazhall
    Free Member

I stay in Wakefield, moved down here from Fife nearly 2 years ago to be with my now fiancee. Think I’ve always used stay instead of live.

Stoner
    Free Member

in respect of Scotland, “stay” is the correct verb so as to indicate the natural tendency is actually to “leave” and those that “live” there are just fighting that tendency. 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

As in “Wur-d’ye comfy?”

I always took that to be ‘…come fe?’ as in come from, rather than where one is comfortable 🙂

scotroutes

Graham – I’d say I cumfy Edinburgh but stay in Aviemore. I don’t think you can change where you cum frae.

seosamh77
    Free Member

a stiy in glesga.

I comfy glesga.

same thing, how? 😆

GrahamS

I always took that to be ‘…come fe?’ as in come from, rather than where one is comfortable

You’re correct – but I kinda like that it works both ways 😀

falkirk-mark

I stay in Falkirk,
    Born and brought up in Renfrewshire

midlifecrashes

So if you’re a stayer at home what are you doing on holiday? Still staying or a different word for a few days or weeks in a hotel?

I didn’t know bide was still being used either, only heard it used as part of bide-a-wee in Scotland or even bide yer weest in NornIrn.

scotroutes

Where are you staying? (holiday etc)
    Where do you stay? (live)

I’m staying at….

I stay in….

seosamh77
    Free Member

midlifecrashes – Member
    or even bide yer weest in NornIrn.

haud yer wheesht.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Ah come fae Troon but ah stiy in Largs an ah stiy somewher else oan holiday.

hels
    Free Member

This confused me when I arrived in Scotland. In Kiwiland, “stay” implies temporary residence, as in “I live in Paekakariki but I am staying in Waikenae while they rebuild my house”.

In Edinburgh, some people say “stay” when they mean abide. I have noticed, you may form your own views, that there is a social class factor at work here, as with absolutely everything in the UK. It is so tiring how do you keep up with it all ?

fasthaggis

I cumfy Edinburgh but a bide in Dundee.
    Lived in lots of places over the years,but every time I step off the train at Waverly,my heart says hame

squirrelking
    Free Member

Nah, think it’s a Scots thing, we speak a load of shite at the best of times.

kcal

My dad’s worst ever joke (at my wedding, thanks dad).

Officer to infantry private: Comfy here, Brown?
    Private in response: No sur, ah cumfae Dundee (eh)

aaaargh. So bad it’s almost good.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

the dude abides

ourmaninthenorth

This one threw me when I first heard it, as it runs counter to general usage in England.

The other one that I notice – and see on here a lot – is to drop “to be” from sentences, e.g. “The car needs to be washed” is written/spoken as “The car needs washed.”

The latter construction just doesn’t compute to my English ears! (Mind you, nor does the Northern English equivalent of “The car is needing washing”.)

jamiep
    Free Member

The other one that I notice – and see on here a lot – is to drop “to be” from sentences, e.g. “The car needs to be washed” is written/spoken as “The car needs washed.”

yes!

matt_outandabout

I and mrs_oab live in Scotland (and have done for 11 years across two time periods).
    My kids, especially the youngest, stays here and has his piece at lunch 😉 .

GrahamS

I step off the train at Waverly,my heart says hame

And yer nose says “Jeeeeesus whit is that reek?” 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

my inner voice reading this thread has gone all Hamish & Dougal.

Y’ull’ve had yer teeeeeaaaaaaa?

😉

gordimhor

Ah come fae Ayr, ah stay in Kinlochleven, ah stid in Falkirk

mintimperial

The car needs washed.

My wife does that and she’s from Hertfordshire. She is a bloody weirdo though.

br
    Free Member

I live in Scotland (Borders), but would use the term ‘stay’ when talking to a Scot – although I do think it’s a class thing and/or connected to a broader accent.

legend
    Free Member

A dinnae ken whit the problem is, like.

perchypanther
    Free Member

My kids, especially the youngest, stays here and has his piece at lunch

I once had a Scouse joiner on a site come barrelling into the site office in a panic because he thought there was going to be a gunfight.

Two other guys in the site canteen had had a verbal disagreement and one had flounced off in an angry huff whilst declaring…

“I’m away to the van tae get ma piece”

matt_outandabout

a stiy in glesga.

I comfy glesga.

same thing, how?

Are you one of the Mountain Bothies Scotland facebook group members? 😆

Half the members seem to write it as it is said, ken?

jamiep
    Free Member

I got into a dude/sweet/dude/sweet/dude/… loop the first time I encountered “mind” as an Englander:

Them: “Will you mind to X?
    Me: “No, I don’t mind doing X”

scotroutes

Sharing my first flat in London and we had a kitty for essentials like milk, bread etc. The convention was to take a note of how much was spent and keep it in the jar. I got a grilling from my flatmates when I’d jotted down “Messages – £2.49

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Ah comfrae Gelsga but Ah stiy in Dunblane an aw that bigman, know, Chief.

Have never noticed this before but I always used it, meet someone for the first time and it’s “Where do you stay?” Never had them question it, Furrinurs that is.

scotroutes

And – standing a bar in that there London ordering a drink.

Me: “Can I have a pint of stout
    Barman hands me a half-pint of stout.

cbike
    Free Member

I’ve educated people on “stay” and modify to “Live” for Americans and southerners.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Mind seems to be an alternative for remember – ‘Mind the boy who fell off his bike last week?’

We draw the line at jamp though, as in the past tense of jump, which my daughter claims ‘everyone says it’.

And up here they pronounce Renault and Peugeot incorrectly too.

Ren-ult and Pew-geot 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Who stays in Scotland?’ is closed to new replies.