Who should be riding a mountain bike…?

Home Forum Bike Forum Who should be riding a mountain bike…?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Who should be riding a mountain bike…?
  • Premier Icon righog
    Subscriber

Everyone thinks it should be people just like them ?

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

Maybe but some STW forum users seem to have developed a strict definition of their own!

wrightyson

Some stw’ers don’t even ride a bike…

CountZero

Some stw’ers don’t even ride a bike…

It wasn’t raining, so I rode mine today! #wonderswillnevercease

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

It appears that some people seem too well off to ride a great mountain bike and others are perceived as too ‘low-rent’, ‘chavvy’ or ‘malnourished’ to own a nice bike…

Where are these mysterious socio-economic boundaries for mountain bike riders? Which people should really be riding these bikes?

metruscan

I feel in a real minority. A fiscally challenged mountain biker. I ride retro as its cheap, and with a bit of fettling, a bike can be easily knocked into shape. Result: loads of laughs and other riders think I’m nuts.

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

Metruscan. I’m a big believer that getting out on a bike is what unites us and as long as a bike is in a safe condition I don’t think it matters how old it is. I often ride my ’95 Cindercone because it just makes me smile!

Get out, ride and haves great time – that’s all that matters!

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

We rode past a couple of skinny teenage girls smoking a joint today; one of them “oinked” as my OH rode past. (I didn’t hear them or I’d have had words.) So, seemingly, fuller-figured ladies aren’t allowed to ride bikes.

Premier Icon ads678
    Subscriber

I rode a mountain bike today, but the only time I went off road was riding the last bit on the pavement to get to work. The good thing was I got at least six nods off other cyclists, and they were all roadies!

[/quote]#wonderswillnevercease

๐Ÿ˜‰

Premier Icon garage-dweller
    Subscriber

The answer is everyone who drives a motor vehicle and they should do it through a city rush hour at least once a week.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

It appears that some people seem too well off to ride a great mountain bike and others are perceived as too ‘low-rent’, ‘chavvy’ or ‘malnourished’ to own a nice bike…

Where are these mysterious socio-economic boundaries for mountain bike riders? Which people should really be riding these bikes?

WTF are you on about?

You buys a bike you ride said bike, trying to turn such a simple pleasure in to some sort of socio-economic navel gazing / class envy exercise is for Biatches!

chip

I think this post was inspired by other posts eluding to trails and trail centres being full of middle aged overweight Audi drivers who ride high end bikes while looking like members of the military of the galactic empire.

And posts asking has a certain bike been stolen as they have seen someone on said bike they have deemed the unlikely rightful owner based solely on there appearance.

discoduck

Yep
    The weathers closing in now and all the Haters will turn even more bitter and twisted because the one afternoon where the weather allowed a chance ride has now been dashed by the damp air and loamy conditions !

Personally, I don’t give a flying fooook what you ride, or where you ride ! If you want to do it that’s fine if you don’t then that’s equally fine too, but those that can’t or don’t who sit and post shite on this forum are pathetic, there’s some real hatred towards fellow riders because they elevate themselves to a position way above the weight they can actually punch at ! I’d love to see some of these big timers out on the trails, either natural or sculpted ones, it would be good to get the magazine to feature Local Riders from the STW muhassive giving it big licks before scurrying off to log on and belittle a fellow biker !

Riding a bike is exactly that ! Its a really difficult thing to do if you look into the science of it all, but the human brain has allowed the balance on two wheels by means of opposite leverage to keep you upright while your legs go doing in circles ?

Pretty boring ain’t it !
    I could write a book about riding bikes ! But I won’t because I can’t be arsed !

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

yep people riding bikes should be those who want to, nothing more. The level of snobbery is beyond belief (more so in here) about what makes you a “proper” rider. So long as it’s not CX who cares ๐Ÿ˜‰

dandax1990

I thought all MTBers were thuggish chavs, roadies were faggot upperclassers and BMXers were self harming goths?

monkeychild

roadies were faggot upperclassers

What a nice term to use! I’d go away and rethink that one.

Premier Icon ads678
    Subscriber

I think he was taking the piss.

Better go away and look for you SOH ๐Ÿ˜‰

orangeboy

Maybe at work I need to ask how many koms a customer has before they can buy a nice bike.
    Like some clubs have a minimum pace for club rides.

Could not care less way people ride as long as they are friendly when I go past them !

tricky dicky

In responseto this…..Having seen a number of posts recently about bike thefts and living in an area where police are actively targeting high end thefts from garages sheds etc by opportunistic locals I thought it was a good idea to flag up something that looks odd. Not a snob, not interested in the socio political ramblings of some of you just trying to help genuine riders whose pride and joy might have been lifted by some scrote… Can’t believe the prats on here sometimes

creedy

i think this sums up what the OP was on about perfectly. there is swearing in this content so partental consent required.

makes me laugh every time

dandax1990

Monkeychild, I take it you’re a faggot roadie?

Jeeze, SOH needed indeedly.

devash

Threads like these highlight the ridiculous class system we still hang on to dearly in the UK.

buzz1024

ooooooh – I love stereotyping people.

I’ve got a beard and a steel hardtail ๐Ÿ˜†

how do others on here fit into the stereotypes? hands up who’s a mamil, a stormtrooper with an Audi or a 40 odd year old BMX’r?

justatheory

how do others on here fit into the stereotypes? hands up who’s a mamil, a stormtrooper with an Audi or a 40 odd year old BMX’r?

Depends what day of the week it is

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I’m a wee bit of a stormtrooper, and I own an Orange, but I’ve got a sheddy mondeo not an audi. (because A4 estates have pathetic boots- there’s a reason the Orange Fives are always on the roof). Two out of three ain’t bad.

user-removed

Edit. Never mind.

Not massively fussed,

Don’t care if someones first bike is a ยฃ4k s-works or if i see a tracksuit wearing youth riding past on a flash bike (unless he’s carrying bolt croppers)

IMHO there’s more snobbery on here than the real world.

justatheory

I’ve always wondered about the heavily armoured guys at places like Llandegla. Is the armour because they go faster and jump higher than most or do they in general ride like other people and are just opting for a higher level of insurance?

I have absolutely no issue with the level of protection an individual wants to wear whilst mountain biking or any other activity.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Dean wrote:

I’ve always wondered about the heavily armoured guys at places like Llandegla. Is the armour because they go faster and jump higher than most or do they in general ride like other people and are just opting for a higher level of insurance?
    I have absolutely no issue with the level of protection an individual wants to wear whilst mountain biking or any other activity.

does it bother you that much?

It’s becasue they want to

plyphon

Everyone knows cycling is the new golf.

Therefore, we’re all faggot middleclassers

discoduck

I think its because there’s more chance of an off, maybe not at degla but some of the more DH orientated venues, it is in a way a kind of insurance, I’ve padded up before in Dainese armour simply because an off can mean weeks off the bike, with armour you mitigate that risk !

Whacking a knee cap or an elbow can hurt, shoulders back etc take some time to bind,

Each to their own, and it looks daft riding a big bike wi no armour ?

dibboid

i think this sums up what the OP was on about perfectly. there is swearing in this content so partental consent required.

makes me laugh every time

that is brilliant ๐Ÿ™‚

I was laughing so hard I was almost crying!! ๐Ÿ˜€

Premier Icon ads678
    Subscriber

I have a steel HT, sometimes have a beard, but my bike has gears so that doesn’t work.

I also have an Orange Five, a Passat estate (I know not an Audi but VAG at least)and I am civil Engineer ( again not IT but still sad and geeky).

Close but no cigar.

creedy – properly rolling about at that vid – tears & all ๐Ÿ˜€

justatheory

does it bother you that much?

It’s becasue they want to

No it doesn’t bother me one bit.

Premier Icon coolhandluke
    Subscriber

My mates wear armour, they are old though and so heal dead slowly. Healing time is missing bike riding time.

I wear pads on knees and elbows but only because nobody pays me if I’m not working.

monkeychild

I have a “SOH” thanks. I just think the use of the word “faggot” isn’t appropriate that’s all. Sorry for not being an ignorant American Baptist church member.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Who should be riding a mountain bike…?’ is closed to new replies.