Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • who sells good cutlery?
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’m thinking that any good department store would be the first port of call but maybe there is good stuff and so-so stuff.

I figure this will last me a good while so worth buying decent kit…

XTR spoons anyone?

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Good as in Ti bling good, or good as in don’t care if they get marked in a dishwasher, lost down the drain kind of stuff?

For the later, Ikea, for the former, try Selfdriges or John Lewis.

jahwomble
    Free Member
    tron
    Free Member

John Lewis is going to be the benchmark.

That said, the dirt cheap Ikea stuff is pretty good, but eventually begins pitting.

thomthumb
    Free Member

jahwomble has it.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

We got Arthur Price stuff for our wedding – pretty nice for eating off and apparently decent quality.

Tracey

We bought some Viners Love Story 20 years ago and its still going strong

Tracey

cynic-al
    Free Member

My 10 year old Ikea stuff is going well. My JL stuff is a bit nicer. I’d check out ebay too if you want to save £.

toby1

I’ve got some really bulky robert welch stuff from John Lewis – it’s heavy, for some reason I like to feel the steel when eating!

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

My Parents had Viners Love story stuff 30odd years ago and its still going!

I however picked up another Viners set from TK Maxx for <10% of the retail value in John Lewis a few hundred yards away.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh aye TKs usually has loads of this stuff in it.

Remember kids…steel is real 😛

Moses

30 years later, Viners Prestige is still doing well. They’re not as shiny as they were new, but pretty good.

tails
    Free Member

Or if you want some contemporary stuff have a look here http://www.alessi.com/en/category/cutlery-sets-141/1/4

PiknMix
    Free Member

David Mellor does some awesome cutlery, I want.. I want a lot!

docrobster
    Free Member

+1 for david mellor
    Shop is handy if you’re in the dark peak for a ride at any time too. (hathersage)
    Wife came back from there the other week with a new kitchen knife. Didn’t ask how much it cost.

PiknMix
    Free Member

docrobster – Member

Wife came back from there the other week with a new kitchen knife. Didn’t ask how much it cost.

Lots 😉

I had lunch in there the other day and found the greatest sarnie filling ever, Cream cheese, date and mint mmmmm mmmmm. I love that place so much.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Viners/Oneida are good quality, Villeroy & Boch is probably about the best. I have sets from both makers as I do work for them, but the ones I have are aimed at the catering industry. I’m pretty sure they do retail versions of all the major patterns though.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

cheers all

some good ideas there

Pook

Can I strongly recommend The Famous Sheffield Shop, who not only supply brilliant David Mellor stuff, but also have a full range of other Sheffield little mesters’ work

Nice site too.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

David Mellor – used them for our wedding list – lovely.

chickadee
    Free Member

It’s not cool but John Lewis. Habitat also have some nice stuff but it’s not high-end. Worth checking TK Maxx too as they have remainder lines of decent stuff at a fraction of the price.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No no no forget all that rubbish;

What you need, is yer Arne Jacobsen for George Jensen classic Steel Cutlery set, as featured in the film ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’:

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘who sells good cutlery?’ is closed to new replies.