Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • who repairs and resuses there inner tubes?
  • sefton
    Free Member

just wondering as I have a massive pile I might repair.

glue and patches still the best method or are the stick-on patches just as good?

brakes
    Free Member

I do.
    I try to use glue and patches as the stick on ones aren’t supposed to last very long.
    that said Park ones seem to last a good long while – I just had one fail the other day and it was probably a couple of years old I reckon.
    do not ever use Evans own stick on patches, they just fall off and if you can get one to stick it’ll either fall off overnight or definitely the next time it rains.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Glue and patches are still best

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bazz

Hell yeah I still repair them! Imo patches and glue still pips pre glued, just.

duffrider
    Free Member

I tend to accumulate about 5 or 6 tubes in need of repair then do them in a batch. I use glue and tubes from rema.

Northwind

I don’t use tubes much but when I do, they have 50 patches on them

bigblackshed

I used to. Then swapped to slime tubes on the commuter. When one of those died it was well and truly dead, more goop and holes than rubber.

Not had a p******** on the crosser hybrid and tubeless on the mtb.

I have now brought on the curse of the p*******.

coatesy
    Free Member

I certainly do,I also collect and repair tubes from the terminally lazy/incapable,haven’t had to pay for a tube for over 6yrs now, and the pack of 100 patches are still going strong.

oxym0r0n

Tubes on the wife’s biketamd my commuter – always glue and patches – got 2 free kits from Halfrauds recently 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m appalled at those that don’t, which seems to include a lot of my customers.

I had to sacrifice one for a tubeless valve the other day, it had 12 patches.

Bin full of punctured ones at work.

jock-muttley
    Free Member

Save a big pile up then do them in a batch, traditional glue & patch, don’t trust the stick on ones but from all reports might actually invest in some park ones for if I have a REALLY bad day on the trails.

MoreCashThanDash

I save them up and do a batch – actually a few ready now after the winter.

Max of two patches to a tube though – three strikes and they are out. Tend to buy tubes in batches on offer so not that expensive, only get through 10 a year across three bikes, 4-5,0000 miles.

wiggles
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    I don’t use tubes much but when I do, they have 50 patches on them

Northwind

I’m far too lazy to go on the generator :mrgreen:

jekkyl

*their

Yes repair with glue & patch.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Sometimes I do. Sometimes I can’t be arsed and just buy some new ones. I’m slowly migrating the fleet to tubeless.

Squidlord
    Free Member

I can’t understand why you wouldn’t. It’s dead easy and takes next to no time.

paladin

I own 4 tubes, 2 on the bike, 2 in my bag. Didn’t get any punctures in my first 800 miles of biking, then got about 20 in the following 200 miles.

Basil

I was about to do my first repair batch and then I found these.The cheapest I’ve ever found, so it’ll be a while longer before I dive into the big bag of tubes in the shed
    Schwalbe 19A

cynic-al
    Free Member

Joy! What fun!

I may have to work on my memes, this is my first.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Genuine LOL at that non-meme ^

MoreCashThanDash

You seem to have the hang of it al! 😆

Maybe next time practice on someone else’s stupid comments…..

dannyh
    Free Member

Half an hour with some feathered edge patches and vulcanising solution is quite satisfying sometimes.

Oh, and a nerdy point here. It isn’t glue. Glue sticks two surfaces together by bonding them to each side of a thin layer of itself. Vulcanising solution ‘melts’ the tube and the patch together (although ‘melt’ is not right either – perhaps someone with a chemistry background could put it better!)

Superficial
    Free Member

I occasionally fix them. Probably 8 out of 10 fixes work well although the odd one that doesn’t stay fixed usually punctures half way home in the cold. So more often than not, I bin them and use a fresh one these days. It’s a bit wasteful of course but it’s only 1 or 2 tubes a year. For commuting peace of mind, I’m OK with that.

brakes
    Free Member

is it ‘meld’?

onewheelgood

I do, on the bikes that aren’t tubeless yet. Only throw them away when they’ve got 20+ patches on them. Use glue most of the time, although the Lezyne stick on patches are fantastic. You can buy a sheet of patch material for a couple of quid and cut it up into 30-odd patches.

brakes
    Free Member

I was about to do my first repair batch and then I found these.The cheapest I’ve ever found, so it’ll be a while longer before I dive into the big bag of tubes in the shed
    Schwalbe 19A

what’s so great about them?
    I’ve used Schwalbe tubes before and the seams have always split twice.
    are these better?

Basil

Best tubes I’ve used & light.
    Not had any problems.
    I recently got some cheap tubes from On One which came pre punctured.

miketually
    Free Member

I got a puncture on the front wheel of my X just 700m into my first ever ride on it. Patched it, then had 11 months of puncture-free riding. Got one on the rear last month, but made it home and only noticed while washing the bike.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I do but have run out of my batch of 100 patches. Anyone know of a source of the same?

cynic-al
    Free Member

stumpy01

I tend to do them in batches.

Did some on Sunday, actually. Annoyingly though, one of them was beyond repair (valve tearing out of tube) and two of them showed no visible leak at all.
    Still repaired another two though.

I seem to go from having boxes of brand new tubes one day to having absolutely none. I think I must give them away and forget.

handyandy
    Free Member

“who repairs and resuses there inner tubes?”

Is it northerners?

coatesy
    Free Member

Box of 100 Rema patches can be ordered from Madison via just about any bike shop.

cynic-al
    Free Member

darrenspink
    Free Member

You guys really need to know your memes a lot more.’First world problems’ would be used a hell of a lot on this STW.

darrenspink
    Free Member

chip
    Free Member

noteeth
    Free Member

Hell, yes – working thru a big pile of ’em is strangely relaxing.

vmazie
    Free Member

I hand them over to my trusty BF who returns them fixed… magic!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘who repairs and resuses there inner tubes?’ is closed to new replies.