Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Who plays a musical instrument?
  • Karinofnine

Which one(s)?

I’m learning the recorder, I can almost make a tune, it’s brilliant, I never dreamed I would enjoy it as much.

flip
    Free Member

I’m learning the recorder

😯

I play guitar*

*Badly.

pedlad

Cello. Not actively playing at the moment but hoping to find time now the kids are getting older.

aracer
    Free Member

I play the trumpet. Used to play half decently (grade 6, and played in a not very good orchestra), but can now only claim to play at all because it occasionally comes out for kids amusement. I suppose it’s like riding a bike in that you don’t forget, but I’m not half rusty and I whilst I can play all the right notes (generally in the right order), it probably doesn’t sound all that good – with brass instruments there’s a lot more to it than playing the right notes in the right order.

Karinofnine

flip – everyone laughs when I tell them, but almost all the major composers wrote pieces for the recorder, either solo or as part of the orchestra. I aspire to play classical pieces on them (I have two, descant and alto).

stumpy01

I used to play clarinet & bass clarinet. Then moved onto tenor sax & played in a pretty good jazz band. Should have carried on, but didn’t bother when I got to uni. Can just about remember how to play it now, but not very well at all…

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Yes Drums.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i play guitar. i’m self-taught, which is my way of saying “yes, i know i’m crap, and here is the reason why”.

recorders are ace!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Piano, I was good used to work part time in a ballet school as a pianist when I was 17/18 it was awesome money for 2 hours a week, earnt what mates did in hours of being a bar maid!! I have a piano now which I still play sporadically when Mr MC isn’t at home!

Used to also play French Horn and the Euphonium, played in the South Glamorgan brass bands, loved it!

metalheart
    Free Member

Like flip & mrk I am also a ‘self taught’ ahem guitarist.

Used to play the recorder at primary school, I used to have to play the bass (or barratone, can’t remember now) one as I was the only one whose hands were big enough.

I have a squeezebox in the house that I am looking after for someone, I fancy giving thata bash at some point this year. I don’t suppose my neighbours will see it that way though…

LeeW

I had a Mondolin for Christmas, had a couple of lessons but I’m not quite enjoying it as much as I thought I would.

emsz
    Free Member

Guitar, all the way to grade 8 ( which sounds cool, but it really just means I was taught to read music) . I’m not sure it’s an advantage for just ” playing”

I find it really hard to play say, power chords or just strum a 4 bar ’cause that’s not how I learned, but I can do endless arpeggios and endless scale patterns ( v dull)

kaesae
    Free Member

I’ve decided to learn how to play the guitar this year, need some time away from computers and reading, plus I’ve always wanted to play guitar 😀

crashbanggg
    Free Member

Euphonium and Trombone – Not much street cred associated with either of them 😛

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Flute (G7) and piano badly. Both quite rusty but need to turn TV/forums off and do something more worthwhile!!

wolvesdug
    Free Member

Another self taught guitar player. Not brilliant but i enjoy it

racefaceec90

yes!* have been trying to teach myself the guitar for a fair few years. just got a lovely cv tele last thursday (mustang 1 amp to follow) 😀 been without my own guitar/amp for over a year. *am crap 😳

john_drummer
    Free Member

drums – since 1981

also guitar & bass, both badly

skywalker
    Free Member

Guitar for 16 years

tazzymtb

cello
    Bass guitar
    Mandolin
    have owned briefly a lute and a hurdy gurdy as well

lodious
    Free Member

Guitar and Drums (badly…but hopefully improving :D)

pedlad

tazzymtb – Member
    cello
    Bass guitar

Hi tazzymtb

I’m interested in the bass guitar just wondering how much advantage being a cellist is in getting to grips with it (g7/8)?

chiefgrooveguru

Bass guitar. Can fake it on double bass, drums and guitar.

Northwind

Terrible guitarist here, and semi-capable bass player… I suspect if I was to find my old school-days recorder I’d still be better on it than I am with 6-strings.

I really like guitars, it just turned out I don’t like practicing 🙂

guitarhero
    Free Member

I teach guitar.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_VjdpUuz-I&context=C3701703ADOEgsToPDskIWsvUmN2hHUZp8x6toFwXE[/video]

PGreen
    Free Member

Same as crashbanggg, I play Euphonium and Trombone. Euphonium used to be played in Brass Bands and Concert Bands, now only play trombone frequently in a Jazz Band. Absolutely Love it.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Clarinet (G8 failed…)
    Alto sax (not for years) and Flute ( but MTB crash this year has ruined my embouchure)

Bass guitar adequately (bad on Fretless)
    Appalling guitar (only really to play with the kids now)

Recorder is a pfectly legit and sublime instrument… Except when played by me… Marshalling our overnight 12hr race, my sprogs and I serenaded the riders on electric ukulele, bongos and recorder playing works by Nirvana and Guns n Roses…

Junkyard
    Free Member

classical guitar – brilliant if you cant play an instrument ok if you can play on

not a a natural musician but played for years so able to hold my own

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Took up banjo (bluegrass rather than frailing) a couple of years ago. Loving it.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Mrs flap just taken up tin whistle. I shall have to dust off the guitar and relearn the Pogues classics…

stratobiker
    Free Member

I started playing guitar in 1973. Still learning! I enjoy it a lot.
    Actually, been playing guitar longer than I’ve been racing bikes.

The best two things you can do when you aren’t out with a dog.

SB

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Played the piano quite a bit in my teens but haven’t been near one for years now. Also a bit of harmonica.

Spent years trying to master the penny whistle and could bash out most trad tunes, playing by ear, but plateau’d in the end and got fed up not improving beyond a certain level and fell out of the way of it.

I’d be very rusty if I had a blast at any of ’em now.

My ineptitude at Guitar Hero on the XBox suggests that stringed instruments might not be the way to go either.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

me, guitar, 3 chord hobbyist all the way!

souldrummer
    Free Member

I have played the drums since 1971. Have played in all sorts of bands both here and overseas and have done loads of theatre pit work. Learned the piano as a child and learned the viola at school. I still try to play the piano but am really not good; usually just use it to learn my vocal part for my choir singing.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Guitar and Bass Guitar here…..I’m an instrumental teacher and professional player. I also play Mandolin reasonably well and can play Drums a little too. I’m hoping to become an examiner this year too!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i played trumpet throughout school, up to G8. played in (relatively good) orchestra, big band and funk band.

with the funk band we recorded an album, sold a few hundred copies, had a regular gig in york etc. managed to work in rapping and beat boxing in to it too 8)

stopped during my gap year, as time got spent doing other things. am sure i’ll pick it up again some day.

BlobOnAStick

Got a piano for my 40th 18months ago having played as a child. Didn’t want to do traditional grades but both the teacher and I neededa bit of structure to the lessons, so we’re working through the ‘rockschool’ syllabus and supplementing that with an improvisation course and some accompaniment stuff to keep things interesting.

Spent NYE with some friends who play in a band and ended up having a little jam, which was nice…….

tony_m
    Free Member

Bass guitar, with rather more enthusiasm than ability… 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

Isn’t every guitarist self-taught? Who has guitar lessons other than middle class wannabe kids who get bored after a few months?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Does a rusty trombone count.?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Who plays a musical instrument?’ is closed to new replies.