Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Who pays?
  • rOcKeTdOg

If you are riding in a club ride and get run into from behind by a fellow club member and his wheel breaks your rear mech who pays for replacement?

The mech in question is the latest dura-ace and full rrp is £189 plus labour for fitting and gear set up costs if done by a bike shop.

Does the owner have to suck it up and pay or is the rider who rear ended him liable?

It’s not me BTW but a customer in the shop who was involved in the incident at the weekend

tomhoward

I would hope the person running into me would offer before I had to ask, but I guess I couldnt actually make him pay? Did the mech owner brake suddenly or move erratically?

momo

Depends really, as he following too close, or not paying attention. Did the rider in front swerve unexpectedly, or hammer the brakes on?

how much does the rider in front value the friendship or goodwill of the club?

when I’ve been riding in a group whether it’s on mtb, road or motorbike (when younger and more foolish, or on track) I’ve always viewed crashes as being one of the risks and I’d probably just suck it up. Although having said that, were I the rider behind, I’d probably offer something out of goodwill – probably not full RRP for the mech though!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Where there’s blame, there’s a claim!

LAWYER UP! 

🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Who has the liability insurance?

Whats the bike club rules?

legend
    Free Member

If riding in a group, crashes are going to happen. Suck it up imo

dovebiker

Need more detail – I’ve ridden with people who are barely competent in a bunch, can’t get out the saddle without dropping back 2 feet, too-hard on the brakes etc so not always just down to the rider behind. I’m also of the view that if you can’t afford to crash, then ride something cheaper.

bruneep

does anyone ever pay full rrp?

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

I’d work on the rule that someone who’s running dura ace should be capable of fitting their own rear mech so would offer to pay for the damage if it was my fault but probably wouldn’t cough up for a bike shop to do the work – it’s a 5 minute job.

rene59
    Free Member

This is STW so in general it goes as follows:

Non-cyclist causes damage to cyclist then non-cyclist pays, plus report the non-cyclist scum to police and their employer.

Cyclist causes damage to non-cyclist then cyclist shouldn’t pay because it was probably the non-cyclists fault anyway. Do a runner unless the cyclist damaged their own stuff in the process, in which case revert to above.

Cyclist causes damage to cyclist then live and let live. Sometimes shit just happens.

Mister-P
    Free Member

It’s not a 5 minute job if you do it properly. First thing I’d be doing is checking the hanger as that could well be bent if the force was enough to break a mech. There’s five minutes work alone.

legend
    Free Member

Cyclist causes damage to cyclist then live and let live. Sometimes shit just happens.

Not exactly. Riding in a bunch means braking distances etc are out the window. If you can’t accept that crashes will happen then you shouldn’t ride in a bunch

convert

Yep

Usual too close to brake rules don’t apply to group riding. Often the person in front is to blame or even the person in front of the person in front. When I was still riding with a club there were people I would refuse to ride near. Fortunately I was strong enough in comparison to the majority to ride on the front for the bulk of the ride. Strong ride leaders are also needed to ‘educate’ the talentless and eject from the group if needs be for the safety of the rest.

zilog6128

It’s a sad indictment of todays world that your first thought was how much money can we make.

daern
    Free Member

Personal opinion:

Unless there is actual, proper negligence (i.e. the guy behind was pissing about, or riding like a cock) then it’s just a case of “shit happens” and suck it up. If I was the one behind and had properly screwed up and caused the crash, I might offer to fix it for you (£130 for a rear mech + my time FOC) but wouldn’t be too happy to pay £250 for full retail + shop labour, which I wouldn’t even do on my own bikes.

My son was flattened by another rider at the weekend and trashed a set of QR skewers. No question as to blame, but I wouldn’t think to go after them for money – it’s just something that happens when riding and I bought and fitted a new set. In fact, I was actually down, money-wise, as I ended up fixing the other boy’s mum’s chain, so needed to buy another 10sp chain link! These things happen and it’s not worth getting riled about.

taxi25
    Free Member

) I’ve always viewed crashes as being one of the risks and I’d probably just suck it up.

It’s this really. If I thought the rider who’d caused the crash had ridden like a knob I’d certainly tell them so, but if you ride an expensive bike in a group best make sure you can afford to repair it.

Bez

Either they sort it out between themselves or one of them makes a claim on their home insurance. Can’t they figure this out between themselves like grown ups?

convert

It’s a sad indictment of todays world that your first thought was how much money can we make.

I can’t see that anyone has thought that. You sound more grumpy and glass half empty than me!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Another vote for “shit happens”, admittedly I don’t ride road where I assume damage is rarer, but I won’t buy stuff that’s too fancy to break because I inevitability will break it.

rOcKeTdOg

Can’t they figure this out between themselves like grown ups?

I’d like to think so and all was well until the crasher found out how much dura-ace costs even from an online supplier.

Apparently they were slowing to enter a cafe stop Car park and the rider behind wasn’t paying attention. They have now blamed the rider in fronts disc brakes though so I’ve heard

brassneck

This.

joemmo
    Free Member

They have now blamed the rider in fronts disc brakes though so I’ve heard

Priceless. They were lucky not to lose a leg as well then. Sounds a bit like a pair of children unable to accept risk or responsibility, I’d leave them to it.

kayla1
    Free Member

Sounds a bit like a pair of children unable to accept risk or responsibility, I’d leave them to it.

This. It’ll all go a bit handbags and you can laugh at them while you’re off riding your bike.

PJay
    Free Member

If it were cars, then the liability would lie with the chap who ran into the back of the other chap. Personally I’d take it as one of those things and a risk of riding in a pack. However, they sound serious types so I’d assume that they’re British Cycling members; would their 3rd party insurance cover it?

nickc

Riding in a group, shit happens. But if it was me that had ridden into some-one I’d be offering to foot the bill. The fact that it’s Dura ace is besides the point really.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

It would depend on the means of the one who hit me.

If they rock up on a halfords special or something not running Dura Ace then I would leave it.

If they are of comparable means I would expect them to offer to go half way.

onewheelgood

I’ve just started riding with a road club, after spending decades avoiding clubs. The amount of shouting and hand waving that goes on is incredible, but compared to another club I tried a few years back, the accident rate seems to be lower. If one of our groups is making a cafe stop, several people will be shouting ‘Slowing’ and making the hand signal for slowing. This means that you are less likely to get rear-ended, but if you do it’s pretty likely to be the rear-enders fault.

convert

However, they sound serious types so I’d assume that they’re British Cycling members; would their 3rd party insurance cover it?

BC does not cover member on member issues.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>Premier Iconcheddarchallenged
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

I’d work on the rule that someone who’s running dura ace should be capable of fitting their own rear mech

</div>

I don’t think you’ve ever visited SW London….

Bez

member on member issues

😳

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye, it’s the dangers of group riding, no liability imo.

daern
    Free Member

I’ve just started riding with a road club, after spending decades avoiding clubs. The amount of shouting and hand waving that goes on is incredible, but compared to another club I tried a few years back, the accident rate seems to be lower.

Yup, road cyclists like shouting and waving, but they also like riding 6 inches from each other at speed and, if you’ve ever ridden like this, you soon become very appreciative of the signals!

butcher

Given that everyone accepts the risks of riding in a group, I think at best it would be fair for the guy to offer to pay half, but he shouldn’t be obligated.

curto80
    Free Member

You cycle in a bunch at your own risk.

ads678

Apparently they were slowing to enter a cafe stop Car park and the rider behind wasn’t paying attention.

I’d be expecting the the bloke to pay up or at least offer, if he wasn’t paying attention in this situation. I wouldn’t be happy if he started to blame me for stopping at a place I assume everybody knew they were stopping at. Crasher sounds like a nob.

If we were good mates it’d all be different though.

convert

Crasher sounds like a nob.

Two sides to every story. OP only has the say so of one. I would not be make any such judgement on that alone.

legend
    Free Member

assume

Thats is an important word. If he didn’t know, it doesn’t sound like anyone shouted, and Mr Di2 braked hard/suddenly then it’s just back to “shit happens” and Mr Di2 should know better when braking in a group.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Rider who crashed into the mech pays. Same as if it happened on a mountain bike ride, or if it were cars.

daern
    Free Member

Rider who crashed into the mech pays. Same as if it happened on a mountain bike ride, or if it were cars.

Why? If the chap in front pulled on his anchors without giving the chap behind notice, then what chance did he have? It’s why group riding skills are something that need to be practiced, no less than a mountain biker would practice a manual or bunny hop. There is a reliance on the overall skill of the group and you need to be confident that the riders around you aren’t going to make abrupt, unsignalled manoeuvres.

convert

I suspect you have never been part of a group road ride.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Who pays?’ is closed to new replies.