• This topic has 59 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Who makes the best base layers?
  • endoverend

Brynje – not familiar – just looked…now see the ‘Right said Fred’ references. If it works in a sweaty club it just might get the job done….

BadlyWiredDog

Just come back from a 13,500 ft peak, in SE Asia, so mixed conditions last bit was night walk up, so base layer, poly t shirt and then a Patagonia merino wool
    With a haglof thin wind jacket. Managed the ascent well, warm and dry.
    In this country and riding I almost never wear a waterproof as it is too hot.

The other thing about this country is that humidity is relatively high compared to high mountain environments, so some stuff – breathables, wicking, insulation – works differently and often not as effectively.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Primark 4 quid ones.

singletrackmind

Not liking my px long sleeved base, holds moisture against the skin bit like a wet cotton t shirt
    Looks good. Nice stretch fabric and was OK skiing in it, but not a fan for bike use
    Got a thick base from aldi that’s great in winter, and a few lighter ones with zips from tk max that are OK too

chiefgrooveguru

“Not liking my px long sleeved base, holds moisture against the skin bit like a wet cotton t shirt
    Looks good. Nice stretch fabric…”

It’s probably the lycra in it that’s the reason it’s holding water – that’s the problem with stretch fabrics, elastane soaks up moisture.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m also a bit of as sweaty betty – Patagonia Capilene is the best I’ve used, the ones I have are on the thinner end of their range.

Usually I don’t bother with a base layer though, certainly not at this time of year.

Perhaps when it’s wet but not that cold, I might wear one under a jacket so I don’t overheat so much.

chiefgrooveguru

“Usually I don’t bother with a base layer though, certainly not at this time of year.”

Surely whatever you’re wearing next to your skin is, by definition, a base layer?

chakaping
    Free Member

Surely whatever you’re wearing next to your skin is, by definition, a base layer?

I wear a jersey.

If I’d recommended a jersey, that would not be what the OP was seeking – therefore no.

Rubber_Buccaneer

whatever you’re wearing next to your skin is, by definition, a base layer?

be reasonable, by base layer I think we all mean close fitting vest/thermal/wicking layer

aP
    Free Member

I’m moving across to Uniqlo Heat-tech base layers rather than buying any new premium tops. They last longer, smell less and seem to transfer moisture better than most of the ones I’ve tried previously.

chiefgrooveguru

“be reasonable, by base layer I think we all mean close fitting”

I don’t – I mean the next-to-skin layer that manages sweat. For hotter conditions you don’t want it to be as close fitting or you want it to laterally wick to maximise evaporative cooling, for cold conditions it’s more important for it to rapidly wick away from the skin so a closer fit is preferable. If I’m not wearing a pack and it’s hot I’ve reverted to cotton T-shirts as they’re better at keeping you cool.

“I wear a jersey”

Whenever I’ve tried things like cycling jerseys they’re always too damned hot, hence I go for one or two base layers (one short-sleeved, one long). I do wonder if I’m missing something though?

chrisdw
    Free Member
    lunge

I’ve tried various brands and keep coming back to the Decathlon Kipsta football base layers. They’re dirt cheap, last and come in a variety of styles. Work well for me anyway.
    Oddly, the B’twin bike branded ones aren’t quite as nice.

tomd
    Free Member

Another +1 for Odlo, really good stuff but pricey.

Also really like Salomon’s wicking tops. A bit more widely available and reasonably priced. They are very good at wearing well and not stinking.

trailwagger
    Free Member

About 15 years ago I bought some very cheap (less than a fiver each) Quechua base layers in Decathlon. I have not found anything that is even close to being as good ever since. I just wish Decathlon still did them.

frankconway

+1 for Craft; also Sub-Zero.

AdamML
    Free Member

More votes for either Craft stuff (and I echo the comment about looking for their XC skiing layers) and for Patagonia’s Capilene range.

STL

Love the Craft baselayers and I run hotter than most people. Wish they still made the sleeveless one.

vondally
    Free Member

Interesting as used decathlon ones in the past but got some and they were not very good. May have a look again.

benp1

Under armour layers here, plus brynje super thermo. I’m tall so find lots have sleeves that are too short. UA have nice long sleeves. Also use power dry when it’s really cold

How do the patty ones fit? Are the comfort fit like their other stuff?

I have polartec alpha on the bike. Rab strata vest or a rapha brevet insulated vest. Have an alpha direct top but it’s too hot to ride in

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Who makes the best base layers?’ is closed to new replies.