• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Joe.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Who makes nice, light, ROUND chainrings?
  • sheck

Bought a nice, light E13 ring, but it’s not round – at least not round enough! Any suggestions?

rOcKeTdOg

Renthal

rob2
    Free Member

My slx one 😉

I’ve heard carbon fibre rings are perfectly round at about £100 each and only suitable for single ring use.
    Popular with time trialers. Never seen one on a mountain bike.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

perhaps manufacturing error if its that bad?

I only singlespeed and on my MTB i have a surly. Expensive but lasts ages and is round enough for me.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Out of interest, what’s the issue with roundness?

Rorschach
    Free Member

More likely to be the spider/chainset that is out.

sheck

Singlespeed setup… with the cranks horizontal, the chain is too taut for riding, with them vertical, I have more than 2″ of play?

steveh

That doesn’t sound like the chainring being at fault. e13 rings are round not any of the funny shapes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Go look on sheldon browns site . It no just a case of bolt it on and ride for ss setup

glenh
    Free Member

Proof that SS = shite

sheck

Sounds like it might be the chainring not centred on the spider (never had that problem before) will go and fettle!

PaulD
    Free Member

Sheck,

Check the drive-side crank fixing.
    A friend has a Middleburn ISIS RS7 that was machined off-centre causing a similar issue to yours.
    He tried several chains, sprockets, rings and spiders before drawing the inevitable conclusion that it was not an uneven worn chain or chainring/sprocket eccentricity.
    Middleburn replaced it without cost once they saw the photograph.
    I may have the photograph (for email only).

PaulD

sheck

Managed to tweak the ring into a better position on the spider, seems fine now. Ignorance on the part of the bike builder! Apologies E13, your ring now appears to be ROUND as well as light and nice! Thanks for all advice

Joe

I found the same with my E13 ring. Seemed to have slightly shorter tabs than normal, meaning that it had some movement on the spider.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Who makes nice, light, ROUND chainrings?’ is closed to new replies.