• This topic has 27 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by gray.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Who makes good toilets?
  • gray

I’ve spent ages googling and I’ve no idea what distinguishes a £400 WC from a £100 WC. We need one for our new bathroom. Want it to be close coupled, good solid flush (my 7 year old lays anacondas that test the best loo) and ideally not too quick to scale up. Preferably not ultra modern (house is old).

Any recommendations for brands or is it all just pot luck? Thanks!

DrJ

pot luck

Taxi !!

lunge

According to the bathroom fitter we’ve just used they are all much of a muchness. Only thing he said to look for is rimless as they’re easier to clean.

Apparently Utopia are good but a bit expensive, Montrose are a good too and a bit cheaper.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Our new build was fitted with basic stuff 12 years ago. The only thing I haven’t noticed the basic-ness (basicity?) of is the toilets. They just work, don’t use much water, look decent.

dropoff

Ideal standard make some pretty good stuff reasonably priced.

avdave2

The Japanese

mj27
    Free Member

Roca Laura close coupled. They have gone up in price over the years but we have bought 5 over 2 houses and they work.

Traditional shape
    Dual flush
    Soft close, if specified.

Check the seats by sitting on them, a lot are strange, we just wanted a ‘normal’ toilet.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

One which doesn’t give you a cold tip.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Japanese toilets aren’t the toilets themselves but a replacement seat. Not cheap though.

Not sure what the difference is between expensive and cheap toilets. We got Duravit recently based on the design. Weren’t cheap but not unaffordable expensive. The toilet is just like any other but the flush mechanism is much veterinary quality than your bog standard stuff. More rifle bolt action than cheap plasticky feel.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Armitage Shanks Contour 21.

nickdavies

But whichever bog you like the look of, then spend some money on a decent seat. Amazing the difference that makes…

matt_outandabout

What’s the style you’re looking for? I need more to go on.

csb

I think an important factor is, for want of a better explanation, the angle of dangle. The holy grail must be a balance between a clear drop (minimising unintended deposits that require removal from the pan) and a drop distance/trajectory that doesn’t result in splash back. Tricky.

maccruiskeen

Maurizio Cattelan

gray

What’s the style you’re looking for? I need more to go on.

Well that’s actually a part of my dilemma – I need more to go on too. I’m not fat or owt, but the one that we have in our ensuite feels a bit on the narrow side. It’s fine because it’s in a small space and needed to be short projection etc., but for the main bog I’d rather a more comfy space. But the stated width of my narrow one (Grohe Bau rimless thingy) is pretty similar to most others.

I’m not going round trying out lots in shops, I need to order one from t’internet in the next couple of days. I reckon I’ll just print out a bunch of pictures of various options and squat from high above and see which one the 💩 chooses!

gray

Maurizio Cattelan

I’m actually not a million miles from Blenheim, but I guess it probably is by now.

matt_outandabout

for the main bog I’d rather a more comfy space.

Does sir need some more cheek support?

null

gray

That looks amazing!

batfink
    Free Member

Whatever you end up with, make sure you get a soft close seat. We have them in the house we are renting, and its very pleasing.

I’ve just replaced the cistern on our downstairs loo (yes, of a rental – don’t ask) and was impressed with the grohe internals – seemed very skookum.

somafunk

Long drop squatting toilet, preferably with pigs underneath to gobble up the shite, used them 20 years ago in palolem goa, dunno how the rest of your family will feel about the idea but you soon get used to it

FuzzyWuzzy

I have a Grohe Euro with the pureguard coating, the triple flush thing is great but I’m not convinced the pureguard does anything (apart from add £50 to the cost). It’s easy to clean but crap can still stick (I was hoping it would be more like a good non-stick pan coating :p ).

jimdubleyou

Roca do a “comfort height” which is actually nicer to s()it on.

gray
    globalti
    Free Member

We have Laufen Compact Pro wall-hung pans in our house, they are small and compact and you can clean the floor underneath them.

Laufen Compact pan: https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/laufen-pro-compact-wall-hung-pan-with-toilet-seat-prowc10?campaign=googlebase&gclid=Cj0KCQiAs67yBRC7ARIsAF49CdV9Bf3KFpPSUdVtnamYDncmma0BDUb0alQdZTJDUnqz4fFstD6j1SsaAtgKEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

While I was installing them (I built wall boxes for the Geberit cisterns out of timber then hung the pans off them) I took the opportunity to install a Laufen home urinal in my downstairs bog as traditional WCs are hopeless when there are men and boys in the house. Ours has an aiming fly in the glaze.

Laufen Casa home urinal: https://www.obadis.com/en/laufen-casa-absaug-urinal-8401410000001-weiss-ohne-fliege-fur-deckel-1.html

finbar
    Free Member

Japanese toilets aren’t the toilets themselves

They can be if you want to drop a couple of grand on a Toto.

Moses

When you’re plumbing the thing, add a “muslim shower” or shower hose . It’ll only cost a few quid and the ability to hose away the klingons as opposeed to wiping, wiping, wiping, is marvellous.

gray

No. That’s just weird. 🙂

leffeboy

No, it really is a revelation. Top choice

gray

But then you’ve got a wet arse, wet clothes and a wet floor. How is that fun?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Who makes good toilets?’ is closed to new replies.