• This topic has 17 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by IA.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Who makes an XL 160mm-ish AM bike/frame?
  • IA

..and actually brings it into the UK? e.g. Giant make the Reign in XL, but don’t sell them in the UK.

Idly contemplating new bikes and wondering what options there are for the lankier gentleman.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

mrh86, of this parish, is a lanky get (6’5″ I think). He’s just built up an XL Intense Tracer 2 that’s rather nice.

Or you can buy my XL 2010 Meta 5 that’s currently for sale, if you’re not looking for new 😉
    Seen a few with 160mm forks that seem to work well. (NB this ones still at 140)

rootes1

You can get Scott Genius’s in XL

Sancho
    Free Member

Yeti 575, or ASR7.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Santa Cruz UK do XL on all their bikes. For a 160 fork you would probably be after a Nomad or Butcher. They also do the Tallboy 29er in XL

IA

Thinking more burly options than most of those, looking to replace a socom with something I can pedal occasionally too.

Nomads and the ASR7 might fit the bill.

Would love a tallboy, but they’re proper spendy!

Stu

20″ Alpine 160 should fit your lankyness 😆

IA

Thing about oranges is, the amount they cost I always feel I should be getting more moving parts. And only a 24.4″ toptube, so it’s not actually that big (compare to say 25.6 on a ASR7).

Mind, I’d still give one a go, it’s the right sort of bike I think. But realistically far too spendy, even selling socom + trance frame to pay for one.

mark_b
    Free Member

I’m 6’7″ and ride a 20″ Patriot which would be the equivalent of the newer Alpine 160.

[edit: my typing is too slow and i was beaten to it with pictures!}

Bregante

Don’t spesh do the Enduro in an xl. I’m 6’2 and a large was plenty big enough. XL must be huge.

flange
    Free Member

The ASR-7’s come up VERY big. I had a medium and I’m 6ft2, I found it almost too big for the sort of riding I did on it. Very high front end, not helped by running totems on it

IA

Ah didn’t think of speshy – have a bonus point!

In general I think tall people tend to ride bikes that are too small, I like big bikes. But then it’s not just height, it’s arm length that matters too in terms of reach. For reference, XC wise I ride an XL trance with a 110mm stem, and that wouldn’t be uncomfy if it was longer…

IA

The ASR-7’s come up VERY big. I had a medium and I’m 6ft2, I found it almost too big for the sort of riding I did on it. Very high front end, not helped by running totems on it

Yeah, a yeti doesn’t appeal for this reason, the ASX (that it replaces) was the same. They all seem really “tall” bikes, if that makes sense?

flange
    Free Member

It does indeed. I never really gelled with mine, it always felt really high at the front despite having the stem slammed, wide bars and lower forks. Under sprung as well, they really shouldn’t come with an air shock. I’ve not ridden an ASX but my mate had a go on an ASR-5 and that felt the same.

IA

Some people really like them tho, but I guess it’s different strokes for different folks, and good to have the choice.

I guess if you’re (relatively) longer in leg than body/arm then Yetis probably suit well.

honourablegeorge

Bregante – Member
    Don’t spesh do the Enduro in an xl. I’m 6’2 and a large was plenty big enough. XL must be huge.

They do, but in their wisdom, they’re only offering the two Evo versions in the UK this year, and no frame-only ones.

IA

I’m also interested in what *has* existed too, something s/h and cheaper would be good too, need to know what to look for though!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Who makes an XL 160mm-ish AM bike/frame?’ is closed to new replies.