Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Who knows what style of pointing this is?
  • bearnecessities

Rather than clean up the ‘industrial’ brickwork, I’ve realised that overly-thick pointing actually looks really quite nice/cottage-like, and makes the brickwork something of a feature.

Despite googling, no idea what it’s called.

Or it it just shit? It’s bad enough getting perfectly good pointing (but thin) to be ground out and replaced, without insulting the tradesman further by asking for it to be a bit thicker & messy!

Like the LOWER part of this house.

Thanks, as usual.

chrissyharding
    Free Member

Picture doesn’t say much.
    The raking out may have softened the edges of the bricks. The edges may have crumbled, increasing the surface area. More mortar a wider joint or bed is the result.
    The mortar, maybe lime mortar.
    Less plastic than sand n cement with plasticiser. More messy.
    I maybe completely incorrect though. We rarely dye mortar or use lime so I am no expert.
    If I am. It is probable I’ll be informed of this.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So that’s where Flat Eric got to!

bearnecessities

Thanks.

Bricks definitely haven’t crumbled, it’s a nearby property to mine and is made from the same local engineering bricks, which are solid.

The house is 100 years old, so I guess lime mortar, but I do have cavity walls so not 100% sure and will listen to what folk say when they give quotes.

What I want it that thick !

chrissyharding
    Free Member

No problem.
    Messy then.
    In Liverpool I worked on a few churches with red eng brick.
    We dyed that mortar black. Then troweled the bed/joint.
    If you weren’t careful the bricks got stained.

divenwob
    Free Member

Wetter mix and wider/worn jointing iron?

brennanpj
    Free Member

Hard to see from photo . Looks like flush pointing to me , normally done with flat ended stick . Lime or white cement if it’s solid. Thinner stuff at the top ” bucket handle” Pushed in and more concave .

nealglover
    Free Member

Just above the door there is a weird bit. two courses of vertically aligned bricks for a while.

Don’t see that very often.

(Not relevant, just looked weird)

timba
    Free Member

That photo’s a bit odd too…the whole house has lifted by one course of bricks half-way across the left-hand upper transom window

Keep an eye out for the cavity wall ties rusting, you might see the outer wall bulging or cracking. It wasn’t until 1945 that a BS for galvanising was introduced

Pointing types

aP
    Free Member

I’m assuming it’s from google street view.
    Soldier courses over wall openings.
    Could be flush pointing, finished with a rag…?

bearnecessities

Aye, it’s streetview – got a chap coming around this afternoon, see what he thinks – it might be as simple as I like messy pointing?!

Ta for input.

sharkbait
    Free Member

The house is 100 years old, so I guess lime mortar, but I do have cavity walls

Really? Looks like 1950/60’s to me.

bearnecessities

Apols, my house is 100 years old.

EDIT: Although the one in picture is made from same bricks, in same state, with similar sodding soldier courses.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Who knows what style of pointing this is?’ is closed to new replies.