Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Who knows caterpillars?
  • thelawman

This wee beastie fell out of a rowan tree a bit earlier this afternoon while I was doing a bit of pruning. I have an ‘I-Spy butterflies & moths’-type book in the living room, but it doesn’t show caterpillars for all the species that it covers. The nearest I could find makes me think it’s perhaps some sort of hawkmoth species, as several of them also have the little hairy tuft on the rear end. So, any better ideas than that?

jimw
    Free Member
    Drac

Possibly a Pale Tussock

goldfish24

I’m with drac on this one.

But only because I followed Jimw’s link (nice link, thanks) and decided your caterpillar looked much more like no 14, the pale tussock.

goldfish24

Also, I wouldn’t be putting a hairy caterpillar on my hand, the hairs can be very irritating. Could be wrong. I should read the rest of that link.

thelawman

Yep, indeed, that Pale Tussock is looking like the favourite all round.

@goldfish24
    – my hand was mainly for scale, obviously, and anyway they’re are almost capable of out-hairing the caterpillar. A quick google suggests that these caterpillars were a source of irritation to Kentish hop-pickers back in the day, so you’re probably right. Too late now, of course.

CountZero

Cute little things, I’ve had one in the garden once, but I’ve not seen many.

bearnecessities

Cute little things, I’ve had one in the garden once, but I’ve not seen many.

Little bastards just fly away.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Who knows caterpillars?’ is closed to new replies.