• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Who knows about fixing fridges?
  • D0NK

Our aging Beko fridge freezer is having difficulties. Freezer seems fine, everything in there is frozen, we haven’t died from food poisoning from dodgy prawns, last weeks frozen leftovers or owt like that, but the fridge is not working too well, inbuilt fridge temp sensor is often over 6 during the day, tends to drop to ~4 overnight (got it set to 2) but with being opened and closed during the day it gets warm and milk, meat and stuff goes off well before the best before date.

If the freezer is working I presume the cooling function is OK, seals on the fridge seem ok. Any way of fixing it or am I going to comet at weekend?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not an expert but mine did this.

DEfrost the freezer.

Cheaper combined units use the cold from the freezer chaneled up the back to the fridge to cool it. If this path way gets frosted up your fridge doesnt get cooled.

Do not use a heatgun to do the job use a hair drier…..not that i melted part of my freezer with my big heat gun :/

D0NK

did wonder about that, pita to do but will give it a go over weekend.
    Fortunately I don’t own a heat gun 🙂

Just had another think, maybe the cooling is on it’s way out but as the freezer only gets opened once or twice a day that’s not suffering much but as the fridge door sees a lot of action that’s having problems….dunno.

nickjb
    Free Member

Not a fan of the disposable society but if it is aging and not functioning well I’d replace it. Modern fridges are so much more efficient. I think my old one was responsible for almost half the electricity bill.

globalti
    Free Member

Is the freezer box badly iced up? If so, that’s the explanation. Just defrost it. Wrap everything up together in a blanket in a cool place, leave the door open then after an hour attack the ice with something like a plastic blade, levering it off into a bowl.

johndoh
    Free Member

I normally fill the freezer drawers with a bit of hot water to gently warm things up too.

And if you don’t have blankets, old newspapers do the job pretty well too.

finishthat
    Free Member

Quick way to defrost – if you can – drag it outside and use a hose , it will cut solid ice out in seconds – proper wash out too.
    Dust out the back and ensure the ventilation is good.
    And if your setting to to -2- the i would suggest -4- during this warmer weather.

D0NK

And if your setting to to -2- the i would suggest -4- during this warmer weather.

2 is the temperature setting – the lowest it can be set at – not the old style 1-5 energy/oomph setting. Good shout on the dusting the back out aswell.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Who knows about fixing fridges?’ is closed to new replies.