Who is the greatest UK cyclist?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • Who is the greatest UK cyclist?
  • I know it has been done before, but we’re just about to get someone winning the TdF fir a 2nd time so people’s view may change.

So – who is the greatest cyclist to ever represent GB or the UK?

38 seconds – you’re slacking.

Premier Icon aracer

Can we define the nationality requirements to start with? Do they have to have ever lived here? 😈

Been eligible to compete for these islands in an international event.

Rorschach

Beaten to it!!
    2nd Beryl Burton

stanfree

GW obviously. 🙂

Burton obviously and clearly

Merak

B.B. no one can hold a candle to her. Not Wiggins not Froome none of them fit to lace her shoes.

Premier Icon Nipper99

Burton again.

Burton head and shoulders above the rest.

Rob Hilton

Tommy Godwin?

Premier Icon muggomagic
    Subscriber

I’d never heard of Beryl Burton.
    Serious question, what makes her the best?

World champion 951 times (estimate). Beryl Burton. Nobody else is close and probably ever will be.

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

‘d never heard of Beryl Burton.

😯

MSP

Olympic gold, TdF and multiple top international races in 1 year. I don’t see that getting beat any time soon, and it hasn’t been bettered previously.

Reg Harris and Beryl Burton tied for second.

Premier Icon muggomagic
    Subscriber

i’ve very little interest in road or track cycling, so it’s unlikely i’d have heard of someone who was competing way back then.

I looked on Wiki and it says “She dominated women’s cycle racing in the UK, winning more than 90 domestic championships and seven world titles, and setting numerous national records.”

Which didn’t seem as impressive as some of the more recent men’s and women’s road and track cycling achievements.

Premier Icon simondbarnes
    Subscriber

Beryl Burton

Premier Icon righog
    Subscriber

All this she managed to fit around her shifts at a rhubarb farm and bringing up her daughter, Denise, who went on to be a top cyclist too.

MSP

Shouldn’t forget Rachel Atherton as well, got to be a contender.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Beryl Burton, without a doubt.

Though I did an audax to the Tom Simpson memorial at Harworth last weekend. You forget how influential he was for the sport in this country at the time, 30 years before Boardman got it starting again. Impressive palmares, and I loved the fact that they included “BBC Sports Personality 1965” on it!

alsoran

Tracey Moseley won everything In a fiercely competitive era
    and still is

looked on Wiki and it says “She dominated women’s cycle racing in the UK, winning more than 90 domestic championships and seven world titles, and setting numerous national records.”
    Which didn’t seem as impressive as some of the more recent men’s and women’s road and track cycling achievements.

7 world titles is not that impressive?
    1967, she set a new 12-hour time trial record of 277.25 miles[4] – a mark that surpassed the men’s record of the time by 0.73 miles and was not superseded by a man until 1969.[5] While setting the record she caught and passed Mike McNamara who was on his way to setting the men’s record at 276.52 miles and winning that year’s men’sBritish Best All-Rounder. She is reputed to have given him a liquorice allsort as she passed him.[6] Apparently, McNamara ate the sweet.

Premier Icon muggomagic
    Subscriber

Rachel Atherton is certainly a contender. As mentioned before I’m not that interested in track cycling, but Chris Hoy has that many world and olympic medals that he must be considered as one of the best.

nant
    Premier Icon aracer

Well I’m with the choir here, even if you are including plastic Brits.

muggomagic wrote:

Chris Hoy has that many world and olympic medals that he must be considered as one of the best.

If the criteria is Olympic success then Wiggo is the best, and also did some other things…

Premier Icon muggomagic
    Subscriber

Then again Wiggins has 7 World titles, has won the TdF and 4 olympic gold medals, plus he holds the hour record.

EDIT: beaten to it. It took me a while to add up the world champs in between the other stuff he’d won on Wiggins wiki page.

Merak

”Beryl Burton of Morley, who for two glorious years in the 1960s held the men’s world 12-hour time trial record.

In 1967 she pedalled 277.25 miles in 12 hours, famously overtaking Mike McNamara, her male rival, and giving him a liquorice allsort as she passed. It wasn’t until 1969 that a man went faster. No woman has ever bettered her time.

She was also five-times world champion over 3,000 metres, 13-time national champion and the British best all-rounder champion for an incredible 25 successive years.”

You’re all wrong – it’s George Berwick.

http://www.owenphilipson.com/blog/2010/09/09/scottish-cyclist-george-berwick/

He’s well into his 70s now and completed yet another 24hr TT last week.

TiRed

Beryl again here.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQQCX-7QC-M[/video] 🙂

🙄 😆

I’m going with Percy Stallard, he never won much, but he was instrumental in getting road racing going again on these shores, and he was from my neck of the woods, and i have one of his frames!!

great reading… http://classicvikingcycles.com/articles/percy-stallard/

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

Geraint Thomas. For no other reason than he is my man crush.

trail_rat

George berwick no doubt.

Some of his rides are epic…. Such as snapping his frame downtube mid ride on a bloody long audax- repairing i with zipties and finishing.

Rode with him on a 300k round durness once- he was riding a raleigh 20 3 speed in his 60s and still taking the piss out of us younger riders with his turns on the front.

And then theres his 24 hr rides

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Who is the greatest UK cyclist?’ is closed to new replies.