Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 125 total)
  • Who is the best rider you have ridden with?
  • njee20
    Free Member

Njee when he was quick I guess

*blushes* aaaw, shucks! I’m taking that as a complement!

I went out several times with Dan Lloyd when he was riding for Cervelo Test Team, went to Afan with Rowan Sorrell and Oli Beckinsale for an MBUK feature too some years ago. All were very quick – Sorrell’s pace downhill was insane. It helped he knew the trails intimately, but really talented. Nice guy too!

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Oh, I forgot about these two too: Guided Mike Metz (Owner of Bike Culture in Rotorua and brother of Rob Metz of Zerode) and Nick Lambert (Kiwi freelance photgrapher), both ex Kiwi pro BMXers, I believe and both unbelievably fast, confident and stylish on their bikes.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

This made me a bit sad, I’ve ridden in the same place as a few name riders but never on a ride as such.

Would be nice if some pro riders did organised rides and that, maybe they don’t want to. would be a buzz though.

I’ve been at Corby and Radical Bikes a few times when some pro riders are throwing down during a public session, that is really cool.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jamj1974

Whistler park laps with Steve Smith, he was riding on his own and hopped on the same lift as me, asked if I wanted to do some laps with him.

Semenuk joined in for a couple. Whole thing was quite surreal.

Me at 110% flat out trying to keep up. I’m amazed I didn’t crash my brains out that day.

I could have ridden at 200%+ and still been 5 laps behind.

Amazing experience to have!

munrobiker
    Free Member

My mate Huw Oliver (topofests if anyone follows that) is shitting fast. When I met him he was a DH rider dabbling in XC and the first time we saw him firing his Orange 5 down a chute with the swingarm bending so much it looked like a dog wagging its tail we all looked at each other and went “bloody hell”.

Sadly he is now into niche-monger bikes and twiddling around the Cairngorms on fat bikes. A talent wasted. 😉

P-Jay
    Free Member

Neil Donoghue, it was on a course so he was more of the performing monkey for the day rather than riding shoulder to shoulder trying to out brake him into a berm or anything like that. His bike really was just an extension of his body, he clears doubles at about a quarter of the speed you think he’d need to do so with about as much difficulty as most people walk down the stairs.

Fastest Muggle rider was a Mate of some friends of mine, could ride anything on 2 wheels, anything. started as a kid on Trials Bikes (with Rob Warner) then raced Superbikes (not BSB, lower division, clubman stuff) and finally picked up MTBing in his mid-30s when the Motorbikes were going to bankrupt him. This was his ‘learning curve’.

At 35 he sits on his first MTB, 30 seconds later he’s bouncing on the back wheel, riding it like a pogo stick. It’s taken him another 60 seconds or so to learn to wheelie/manual as far as he likes.

First ride, Whites Level at Afan, he’s struggling with the gearing and climbing rocks, so he rides them like a trails rider, spends most of the climb either on the front wheel, or back, rarely both it seems.

Final Descent he follows me down, studying how I do it (I’m not great now, was worse then), chatting all the way whilst I try to hold onto my bike. He’s on a HT from memory, I’m on a 150mm FS bike.

Fairly quickly buys a little 4″ travel Kona Kikapu. He’s now the fastest rider in our group by some margin.

3-4 months after he first sits on a MTB we go to Morzine for the first time, we’ve all got new DH bikes, he rents a horrible condition Kona Stinky from Alpine Elements. Takes it back 2 hours later because the bearings are so shagged the back we steers as much as the front, they tell him “they all do that” they don’t, but he carries on anyway.

Day 2 and he’s having a ball riding with our ‘Guide’ who it stupid fast compared to us. Guide tells him about the unofficial Pleney DH run competition between the Guides and shows him the board with the times on, he borrows and ‘Tony Hawk Action Cam’ (terrible pre-GoPro action cam) from another friend and sets a new record.

Lives in New Zealand now, hope he still rides.

mrb123
    Free Member

Rob Jebb, many years ago when I was about 16 and he was a couple of years older.

blader1611
    Free Member

I joined up with a chain gang whilst on my way home from work and thought i might as well get a few miles under my belt with them. The pace was crazy, i was going full gas just trying to stay in the middle of the group. I then started to realise that i was going to end up on the front with no legs left and embarrass myself hugely. About 4 miles in i was on the front, going full chat and seeing stars when up ahead the traffic lights turned to red and we all grouped up waiting. 2 riders along from me were the Brownlee brothers, Alistair then turned round to everyone and said ‘ ok warm up finished, the race starts from here to….where ever it was. I pretended to not be able to clip in and did a u turn when they had shot off. No way was i going to keep that pace up for more than about 30ft!

johnx2
    Free Member

…from Lawnswood Cemetery?

Rob Jebb, many years ago

Does an hour and a half behind on 3 Peaks CX count? No? Ah well…

scotroutes

Geex, obviously!

somafunk

Rode wi quite a few very good/world class riders but most enjoyable was (where i actually learned and picked up skills) a couple o’ days riding wi Joe Barnes, Stu Thomson (mtbcut tv), Liam Moyniham and Steve Jones (dirt mag) round Kirroughtree and other areas in Galloway for a magazine feature/photoshoot back in 2007,  It’s only when you ride with such effortlessly skilled riders that you realise you are just average.

tomhoward

Ooh I remember! We were camped next to a lovely family at the PMBA event at gisburn a couple of years ago that the kid was racing, a 16 year old lass who, though had done a few XC races, was riding her first enduro (on a very XC focused KTM iirc) After staying up chatting the night before we rode round with her the next morning. She was wheelieing up most of the climbs and when she stopped to wait for us, regularly, she was doing no hand, no foot trackstands. After we got to the end, we were comparing times, and we were significantly slower than her on the stages, much to her amusement. ‘How are you so slow?!’ Etc. 😭😭

I dont mind regailing this story quite so much now, the lass was Martha Gill.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Fastest Muggle rider was a Mate of some friends of mine, could ride anything on 2 wheels, anything. started as a kid on Trials Bikes (with Rob Warner) then raced Superbikes (not BSB, lower division, clubman stuff) and finally picked up MTBing in his mid-30s when the Motorbikes were going to bankrupt him. This was his ‘learning curve’.

Ridden with a few guys who race motorbikes, a lot of them seem to do really well I suspect because they’re coming from the opposite end of the spectrum, if you’re used to hauling on the brakes at 150mph then 15mph at a trail center probably feels like quite a slow entry to a corner. Whereas the rest of us have to build up a bit at a time letting the bike off the brakes a bit more each run to pick up speed, they never touched the brakes in the first place.

Having said that I’ve also ridden with Weeksy and PP who both like their motorbikes but it doesn’t seem to have transferred as well 😜

hofnar
    Free Member

Ladies:

Showed the handsome Chantal Blaak the way to the finish of tour of flanders when she was a bit lost.

Had Andrea Tafi wait for me when I had rubbish legs one day out with some mates.

Turned down Tim Donn ” man with the halo” as a training buddy(my then housemate though we would be a nice match)

Rubbed shoulders with Tom Boonen and blew my engine trying to keep up with Fabian Cancellara.

brennak

Hora, one Monday night though he claimed to be Binners 😂😂😂

smogmonster

On a mountain bike i guess Ryan, who used to be a guide with Freeride Spain many moons ago..he was phenominally quick even on his spindly arse-in-the-air XC hardtail.

Roadie – i guess Harry Tanfield, who rides with our local roadie club….though that might become a much rarer sight now he’s been signed by Katusha!

smokey_jo

I used to ride into work with Gethin Butler who held the LeJog record from 2001 – 2018

anagallis_arvensis

I once knocked Christophe Dupoeey (I may have spelt his name wrong) off into some nettles at RedBull 24hr in Sandwell…if that counts!

Northwind

Fabian Barel probably. Certainly the best rider that’s ever going to ask me about my line choice… my answer- “I’m just gonny kind of skid down the middle and see where I end up”

Dickyboy

Rode out the school gates with Peter Keen a couple of times 😀 and foolishly tried to beat Max Chaya up a col in Corsica once – you’ll prob have to Google them both anyway, but after playing tail end Charlie on a weeks tour of Corsica (and getting the nickname diesel dick) I thought I’d give it a go on the last ascent, just hadn’t accounted for Max’s over riding competitiveness and promptly “burst into flames” at the summit 😒

deadkenny
    Free Member

Does riding Pedalhounds stages with Brendog and his crew just in front or behind count? 😀

wallop

My mate Jelly.

martymac

Graeme obree

he had to wait for the rest of us😂😂

doomanic

I’ve never ridden with anybody famous but my ambition is to bask in the glow that is Geex.

ernie

Wow, this got me thinking:

Njee – before we both got kids and riding time became rare

Atherton brothers – rode with them a few times back in Somerset. Actually got my arse kicked by them but ya know….

Anthony Kappes, Neil Fachie  – piloted a tandem for them on various training camps. Rode with a load of other paralympians; I learnt a valuable lesson with these dudes!

Steve Bate – piloted a tandem when he was being tested for team GB worthiness. He was, I had a family (and so wasn’t)

My Renvale RT team mates – we’re friends and have really helped each other through some tough times.

Ben Greenwood – this kid was an amazing rider. If he had arrived a few years later than he did I would be amazed if he hadn’t ended up in the Pro Tour.

ganic
    Free Member

There are peolpe on here who do the Leeds chain gang? It’s a small world!………

jimmy

Ride with (actually with) Steve Peat once because he’s a friend of a friend , but the friend didn’t turn up so was a bit awkward.

(Needless to say, he was well impressed and went on to win the world chaps a few weeks later.)

garage-dweller

Best riders technically I’ve ridden with are probably the more talented guys from my days at Southampton Uni and the friends of friends that became part of the annual Afan trip for many years after.

walleater

Wade Simmons

Scruff

Brett Tippie

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve lined up alongside Peaty in a local “mates race” dual. Wouldn’t be fair to say I raced him as he finished about 5 secs up on a 17 second course!

I have exactly the same experience with Martin Söderström.  Otherwise, there are a couple of local riders who are beyond just ordinary good; raced DH at WC level bitd and another does well at national level in trials.

senorj

Marco ,(& young Mark) from Ciclomontana!

And Harris off of here, best fun at least. 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

I used to ride with a bloke called Steve.

He was awesome, he not only looked fast but he was fast. Yet we both rode to each other’s strengths and spent many thousands of Km’s rattling around the Eastern Dolomites’ on some swanky roadies.

We also rode SS together (in a small group) and he was as popular there as when we were riding alone.

He has grace, pace and is ace.

And he’s a male model who does underwear adverts and you’ll have seen his torso on plenty of advertising media over the years.

#mancrush

blader1611
    Free Member

Johnx2 – yes it was from the cemetary and i bailed out at the lights by the Dyneley Arms. I didnt have the legs that day but even so the pace was pretty full on.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

The ghost from Jacques Anquetil joins us every week when I’am biking with my pals.

And he’s a male model who does underwear adverts

Jacques is not doing any underwear adverts.

BoardinBob

Through racing and travelling I’ve had the luck to ride some bits with quite a few famous folk. The highlights were Tracy Moseley, Greg Minaar, Nico Vouilloz but the standout by far was Cedric Gracia. The way he rode was mind-blowing. So aggressive and stylish and he was just so enthusiastic about everything

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Elliott heap, because his skill is off the charts, and Sam hill, because he’s Sam hill!

richardk
    Free Member

Marcin Bialoblocki…ish.  He raced our local 10 mile TT recently, and annihilated the field and the course record.  I wasn’t on course at the same time as him, but did get chance to watch before i started.  He looked astonishgly fast, holding 32mph on a road surface that would make some gravel tracks look smooth.  He caught his minute rider after half a mile, and put over 7 minutes on me…

DezB
    Free Member

I saw Chipps on a the same Polaris as me & my mate many years ago. The main thing I remember is he had overshoes on and the front was all ridden up like Aladdin shoes 😆

He wasn’t riding at the time though, so I couldn’t tell how talented he was 😉

munrobiker
    Free Member

Oh, and I ride all the time with my mate Rosie who won the Red Bull Fox Hunt a couple of years ago.

DanW
    Free Member

Paul Hopkins as an absolute XC machine Chris Smith as a free ride dude stand out locally. Crazy to think that the very best are another level all together on top of their already insane talents.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘Who is the best rider you have ridden with?’ is closed to new replies.