• This topic has 93 replies, 71 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Taff.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Who here has only one bike?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And what is it?

For a while I only had 1 bike, a 5″ hardcore hardtail. Worked fine, but was a bit “jack of all trades, master of none”. Couldn’t keep up with the Xc bikes on the climbs or the full susers on the decents and would leave me battered on all day rides. But would work out OK at everything.

Now I’m thinking of selling all my various bikes and getting an XC full susrer, either a trek top fuel 8 or a giant anthem x4. Now neither will be as burly as the current main bike (still a 5″ hardtail), but the stuff i bought that for doesnt exist south of the pennines……

mattp
    Free Member

Only one here – spesh epic since all the bits fell off or rusted away on my killer vee. am considering a cheap[ish] HT for the winter though…

stumpy01

I only had one bike up until April or thereabouts….my old Stumpjumper FSR (2001). It was fine for most UK stuff, although I wasn’t very confident descending on it for steeper, particularly rocky stuff.

I replaced it with a new Stumpjumper FSR which is much better for everything. I took the bits off the old bike & put them on an Inbred frame. I now use this for all my on road stuff (as well as riding it instead of the Stumpy) and have a 2nd set of wheels for road duties.
    It’s much better having two bikes as I can get my spanners out with no fear of messing things up and being bike-less!

johnners
    Free Member

but the stuff i bought that for doesnt exist south of the pennines……

Oooh, get her!

timmys

I only have one bike, a Zesty, so it’s not really an all-rounder by any description. It is my dream bike for the riding I enjoy most though hence why i have it. Probably makes even less sense when I tell you I live in London.

Next year I do want to add one of those Genesis Day One Alfine cross bikes as I reckon that will be great to cover all the things that a 140mm full squidge bike doesn’t (road, commuting, off road pottling).

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I have one mountain bike, its a cotic single speed. Its alrite for all the stuff I do, if I put the seatpost up I can ride xc (thats what I did today), put the seat down and its good for some dirt jumps or I can put some big tires on it and long forks and take it to the alps to ride downhill.

Cant really justify having more than one mtb, today was the first time ive ridden it since I got back from France in august.

pastcaring
    Free Member

turner dw 5 spot, it goes down it goes up.

have only had one bike for the last four years. i don’t dj or dh anymore so no need for more than one bike.
    although i would like a hardtail…

hora
    Free Member

Only one here. Hardtail. 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

My only mountain bike. I’ve raced on road on it, and done dhing on it in the Alps.

I also have a road bike and a bmx (plus a hack road bike and a hack bmx, and a unicycle). Does it still count?

yunki
    Free Member

on-one 456 rigid.. I have some RS revs to put on it should the need ever arise but I find that rigid is fine for the sort of riding that I do.. (wheels on ground.. unhurried.. moorland rambling.. more technical the betterer..)

scaredypants

hora – Member
    Only one here. Hardtail.

what about the holy grail quest for a blur4x that you treated us all to last year ?

hora
    Free Member

I needed a new boiler, bathroom and kitchen.

damo2576
    Free Member

@RealMan – excuse my ignorance but what Santa Cruz is that – looks nice.

sharki
    Free Member

SS’d on one 456. 130mm forks.

For most my group rides i’ve waited at the top of climbs and the bottom of descents. Nothing to do with the bike though, it’s about the effort i put into riding the way i like to. And for all dayers, if i’m fit, that not a problem either(only ridden all day on the quantocks,exmoor, dartmoor and trail centres) i’d not be able to do peaks, lakes or big mountain riding.

For you though, you choice will come down to your preference of climbing or descending. The top fuel and Anthem will do both very well in a skittish manner.

hora
    Free Member

Its the latest incarnation of the Chameleon

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Technically I have two, but trying to get rid of the ss roadie I bought cos it ain’t my cup of tea! Which will leave me with just the Ibis Mojo 😆

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

I’ve got a Singular Swift. Got neither space or money for anything else.

Not that I’m that complaining! 😀

RealMan
    Free Member

Its a chameleon damo2576. Gratuitous brake cable picture..

backhander
    Free Member

Just the Knolly for me. Used to have a HT, but never rode it.
    That chammy looks nice, just needs new grips and them forks winding out 😀
    Garage door is well painted though.

vinnyeh

Only one mountain bike now- the Mojo. Sold the others to force myself to use it all the time, rather than have it as ‘Sunday best’ so to speak.
    Still got my old cross bike though- but even that doubles up- set of wheels with road tires on at the moment, another set for offroad, and another rear for the turbo.

GJP
    Free Member

I might as well only have one. For the last 15 months the only bike I have ridden is my Spesh Epic. Still have a Whyte 19 carbon HT never ridden. Absolute travesty 😳

theboatman
    Free Member

Just the one mtb, a cotic soul, it does everything I want off road and leaves me grinning. After being a habitual frame swapper, nearly 2 years in and I think I’ll only change this one when it breaks.

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

just the 1 for me now.. 🙁

My Nomad,3 bikes in one ..Has to be done…. :mrgreen:
    Frame for sale maybe too.??? 😉

Dancake
    Free Member

Discounting the 40 quid work bike, I only ever have the one.

Currently experimenting with a 69er thus:

100_1637 by 29er Dan2010, on Flickr

RealMan
    Free Member

Those grips were new! They’re very brown now though..

singlespeedstu

I only ride one at a time if that’s any help. 😆

yunki
    Free Member

realman.. were you riding with a couple other blokes down Woodbury way today..? One of the trio had an horrifically gawdy red jersey.. I thought it might be you..?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Just one for me too.

Giant Reign. It’s a fairly big bike, but i’m fairly big and heavy too, so don’t really notice the extra couple of pounds.

njee20
    Free Member

Just the one MTB, Top Fuel 9.9, and that’s up for sale after next weekend, so I won’t have an MTB at all for a while!

mooman
    Free Member

Sometimes I think of downsizing to just the one bike..
    Just impossible to decide if its the HT or bouncer that goes??

I have ridden the mbop for the last couple months, and was once again thinking of selling the full-suss.
    Then had a day on the full suss today, and now kinda persuaded to sell the HT??

Best option seems to keep both..

RealMan
    Free Member

realman.. were you riding with a couple other blokes down Woodbury way today..? One of the trio had an horrifically gawdy red jersey.. I thought it might be you..?

Today? We rode Woodbury on Saturday on road, Haldon off road on Friday, and I’m not quite sure where we went today (on road though), so could’ve been.

More so if you were referring to this sexy number..

And almost definitely if I was on a black and red ribble, putting out 500W on the front. 😉

What were you riding?

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Ibis Mojo by chunkymonkey69, on Flickr

Once the ss goes, this is all I’ll have 😆

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I don’t own a bike till we move in a few weeks 🙁 it’s so sh1t not having a bike. But then I’m going to treat myself to something based around a Bfe frame. Seems like ages away

_tom_
    Free Member

Sort of, I have one mtb and one road bike. The mtb is a DMR Trailstar and gets used for everthing. A few weeks ago I did an uplift day at FOD, today I’ve just got back from a day at the Long Mynd. Great bike 🙂

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Santa cruz nomad for me.(well apart from my scott hybrid for going to work on.)

shortcut

Oh no. The more the Merrier here!

nickegg
    Free Member

Just a Cove Handjob here but about to be replaced with a Nicolai Helius AM!

martymac

just the one here, an orange p7, setup with short 80mm forks.
    but im considering a genesis croix de fer next year.
    and a ss hybrid for going to work on.

yunki
    Free Member

realman:

I was putting some air into the tyres on my 456 by the picnic bench on the Budleigh cycle path..

I can’t be any more specific than bright red and gawdy though as I was too busy blinking the blood from my eyes..

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Cove Stiffee and Ribble Ribelle here, oh and a Mercian for winter road… and an RFX.

My wife may think I have one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Who here has only one bike?’ is closed to new replies.