Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Who hasn't got a TV then?
  • Following on from the other TV thread, who hasn’t got one in the house and why ?

I’ve never had one while living alone.
    Too many adverts, at least 15 minutes in every hour.
    Most programmes seem to be based around Americans shooting each other.
    Documentaries are aimed at 5 year olds.
    The pictures change too quickly. They flash from one scene to another every couple of seconds, often with a flash of white and a “whoosh” noise in between as if it’s needed to hold my attention.

Minor things, I know, but the whole experience puts me off, so I don’t own one.
    I’m probably missing out on some good stuff, but overall, I think I’m better off.

miketually
    Free Member

There is some absolutely brilliant stuff on TV. I try to just watch that.

And often fail.

toab
    Free Member

kinda moved and didn’t get round to sorting out a telly for the new place.

Havn’t missed so havn’t bothered. If you really want to watch something you can usually find it online, but whne I had a telly I just spent ages gawping at rubbish I wasn’t really interested in.

tang
    Free Member

we didnt for years. one weekend while my wife was away i bought one. the tdf was on and im week willed on my own. she didnt speak to me for a week.
    tbh i could do without it now as the web can provide pretty much everything i see on tv. that is cheating tho.

Stoner
    Free Member

didnt for 5 years until 2 years ago when we needed something for Jr (DVDs and a bit of cbeebies). Now we have an 18″ thing for Jr and I also have a dual tuner card in the computer. Generally we just watch american crime dramas on Five and Five USA. And Poirot and Miss Marples on ITV3. Never watch the old 4 channels anymore, theyre full of such rubbish.

footflaps

No TV here.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

We have a 12″ one from 1985. It did used to work if Mrs Mc clouted it properly on the sweet spot. – Nowadays our Virgin cable is broken for TV signal anyway, so we don’t (ie can’t) watch it.

Iplayer gets used from time to time. – My 8 yr daughter mostly likes the nature programmes.

There is some absolutely brilliant stuff on TV. I try to just watch that.

And often fail.

That’s pretty much how it goes for most people.
    I’ve only ever known one person who will turn the telly on when there’s a programme he wants to watch, then turn it off again afterwards.
    Everyone else seems to leave it on all the time and select the least bad channel.

epicyclo

We haven’t had ours working since the digital changeover. Pure bliss.

Unfortunately my wife has summoned the aerial guys and we are now getting a dish and a zillion channels.

elliptic
    Free Member

Like epi – when they switched off the analog signal around our way last spring, I just didn’t bother going digital. Also it was a good excuse for not watching the world cup.

I’ve read an awful lot more since then. No particular plans to revert.

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve only ever known one person who will turn the telly on when there’s a programme he wants to watch, then turn it off again afterwards.

How quaint 🙂

Pretty much everything I watch is via Catch Up TV on Virgin.

Everyone else seems to leave it on all the time and select the least bad channel.

Ours goes on when we want to watch TV. We do sometimes just watch the least bad thing that’s currently on, but rarely. TV is just a way of winding down at the end of the day, for my wife.

miketually
    Free Member

we needed something for Jr (DVDs and a bit of cbeebies)

Our two (5 and 7) are into some quite good stuff now. I quite like iCarly and Phineas & Ferb 🙂

Carly has her own web TV channel!

Stoner
    Free Member

Im a sucker for Chuggington myself.

emsz
    Free Member

I haven’t got my own but I watch the one in the house for I’m a celebrity x factor strictly. I like my telly mindless

jon1973
    Free Member

We have a 12″ one from 1985

That was small even for 1985.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

GF watches it from time to time. Wish I could get rid of it. It’s an old CRT so perhaps I should, ehem, “help it along”.

Unfortunately you still need a licence to use iPlayer, which I do watch.

jon1973
    Free Member

My Grandparents had the same TV that they’d hired for years from Granada. It was in a nice wooden cabinet (not chipboard veneer mind!) and had two doors which closed in the screen when it wasn’t being used as if the TV was something to be slightly embaressed about. It took several minutes to warm up and only had about 4 buttons on it.

Me? The TV is worth it just for the Playstation although I do watch quite a lot of TV, but then I do a lot of other stuff as well. Not sure I’d ever be without one.

Garry_Lager

I don’t watch the TV at all in the internet age – might turn the news on at 10 sometimes, watch the zingzillas in the morning with the wee man, but that’s pretty much it. Generally prefer to aimlessly dick around on the web as a form of relaxing, rather than watching the telly. Wouldn’t say one was any way superior than the other tbh.

One consequence of this is that I cannot sit still for a film anymore. I’ve not been to the cinema for a few years, just for practical reasons since our son was born. But in that time I doubt I’ve watched more than 1 or 2 films on the TV or DVD, just get really distracted sitting there. Seen a few on airplanes where you’re forced to sit still and that’s it.

waynekerr
    Free Member

Don’t you all realise your missing out on “Come Dine with Me” 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

did not haveone for years do now but mainly for the footy and the comedy. Still dont watch much and never switch it on just to see what is on .
    Some good stuff amongst all the endless hours of rubbish.

footflaps

“Unfortunately you still need a licence to use iPlayer”

In theory you only need a TV license for iPlayer if you watch the Live feed, although until it’s tested in court it’s not clear that the delayed psuedo live stream is actually ‘live’ legally (as there is a different delay per user for the buffering / codec etc).

From: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/foi-legal-framework-AB16/

Do you need a TV Licence to watch shows on BBC iPlayer?

It depends on whether you’re using BBC iPlayer to watch TV programmes at the same time as they are being shown on TV (i.e. “live”) or after they have been broadcast by either downloading programmes or via streaming on demand (on-demand).

The BBC iPlayer allows users to watch programmes “live” as they are being shown on TV (i.e. BBC1, BBC2, BBC News etc.) and on-demand. If you are watching live content (e.g. a programme as it is being shown on BBC1 or BBC News) you will need a TV Licence. If you are using the BBC iPlayer to watch programmes on-demand i.e. after they have been shown, you do not need a TV Licence. Accordingly, depending on the nature of the content being viewed on the BBC iPlayer, a TV Licence may be required.

molgrips
    Free Member

There is indeed a lot of great stuff on telly. You have to find it, but it’s there. It’s not on all the time mind.

Plus you need one for Playstation games and movies etc.

grievoustim
    Free Member

couldn’t not have a TV

I love movies/ quality TV too much

I don’t watch the rubbish – its not compulsory

duntstick
    Free Member

No, we had problems with the freeview and I just haven’t got around to fixing it.

Tis bliss, t’other half is a soap freak, so as long as I download Corrie, Merlin, Downton and films regular I’m done.

I used to have to watch an awful lot more.

No ‘Safestyle UK ,Sheilas wheels’ and other lunacy inducing ads.

T’internet is the way forward for me…..

Stuey01
    Free Member

I’m ashamed to say that this is exactly what I do.
    I have every sky channel, inc sport and movies, and it is simply staggering how frequently I can’t find anything to watch so just put shite on.

Seriously considering going back to freeview only. Won’t go without one altogether though.

Lounge – 40″ LCD with Sky HD, Blu-ray & mid-high end AV surround system
    Kitchen – Portable CRT with in-built DVD and magic eye for watching Sky
    Bedroom – 32″ Widescreen CRT with Sky multiroom & seperate DVD player
    Kids bedroom – Portable CRT (in pink) with in-built DVD
    Play room – 32″ CRT with VHS video player (not used) and Nintendo Wii – that sometimes finds it’s way downstairs.

It’s not all about mindless drivel though (which we do watch enough of as light entertainment) – my lounge system is used to it’s full potential with stunning HD material and is currently working it’s way through the box set blu-ray of Planet Earth

GW
    Free Member

I hardly ever watch TV in my house. The TV is there for my daughter, the odd DVD and the playstation. I watch TV at my girlfriends a bit more (still less than a couple of hour a week tho.)
    I have the radio on all day every day tho.

I quite like TV adverts (but probably because it’s often the first time I’ve ever seen them)

Milkie
    Free Member

While I do have a TV mainly for PS3 and movie’s.

I hardly ever actually watch anything that is broadcast. I download most of the TV series (cannot stand adverts), I would watch F1 & Rugby Live on the TV, but thats about it.

Everything else is watchable on iPlayer or similar and that is usually done at work on my lunch hour.

the-muffin-man

I like mindless drivel – sometimes you need to give your brain a rest!!

alpin
    Free Member

no tv here. not had one for over three years.

ok, so i’m outside of the uk and the standard of foreign programming is generally shittier than that in the uk.

if there is anything worth watching i’ll look it up online if possible.

don’t feel that i’m missing out when you consider what counts for entertainment (strictly cum skating factor bollox).

hitman
    Free Member

me – not for about 4/5 years
    thinking about getting one for sky sports and rugby in particular!!

loddrik
    Free Member

I love tv and watch loads, sky+ is great for cutting out adverts and filtering out the shite.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I’ve always loved TV but on moving to a remote country cottage nearly three years ago I was “persuaded” not to have a telly.

It’s been brilliant TBH. I get out and ride a lot more for sure.

Have a Projector to watch DVDs and play games and watch the odd thing on iPlayer. Watch a load of good TV shows on DVD too. THing with a PJ is you can’t spontaneously watch it, you have to turn it on for a few mins first, close the curtains, turn off the lights, fire up the amp etc so it’s not like having a telly on in the corner of the room.

Now if I’m round at someone else’s and the TV is on loudly in the background I find it really intrusive and ask them to turn it down/off.

ji
    Free Member

No tv here (well we watch DVDs and play games, but have no broadcast TV). Even the kids don’t seem to mind – in fact when we go away to where there is TV they are really excited for 2 days and then moan about how rubbish it is.

Only thing that annoys me is the TV licensing people, who refuse to believe that we don’t watch TV, and keep annoying us with letters etc.

Blackhound

I look at what is on and if I fancy it will watch it and then turn off. Prefer music, reading and internet. I like sport, odd film and comedy but not interested in the regular tv fodder. Last night I caught up with a programme about Wilfred Owen for instance. I will NOT be watching THE wedding next year….

Mrs B has not had a tv for years and used to get pestered about a licence. She has started watching iplayer though….

meehaja
    Free Member

We don’t have one. We listen to a lot of radio, read a lot and watch what we want online.

allthegear
    Free Member

I’ve been seriously considering disposing of my TV for a while. Pretty much anything I actually watch could be found on iPlayer etc and live TV isn’t a big deal any more.

I think I might put in in the cupboard (not easy, it’s a 32″ LCD) and see if I last…

Rachel

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

” If you are using the BBC iPlayer to watch programmes on-demand i.e. after they have been shown, you do not need a TV Licence”

Ooh that’s good news. I found to my annoyance that one cannot watch iPlayer overseas, since it is assumed that Johnny F hasn’t paid a licence fee. This is why I thought one needed a licence to watch it.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Who hasn't got a TV then?’ is closed to new replies.