Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Who has done the Clayton vale MTB trails then?
  • craig5

I’m working across the road, so the could be handy for a blast after work. Are they worth bothering with? A lot of good stuff at home see. What’s the verdict?

Bregante

In the space available, they’ve done a great job in my opinion. I tend to go on a weekday and rarely see another rider.

Short but sweet – I tend to do a couple of loops and do a couple of the black and red options each time. It’s got a really good “flow”.
    If you’re local it would be rude not to 🙂

Jezkidd
    Free Member

I used to ride it once or twice a week when I was working in Manchester, a good blast on my rigid ss, perfect for after work. Mucho flow(o)

Also if you’re that close you should be trying out the velodrome if you don’t already!

MartynS

If your there, as had been said, it’d be rude not to. I wouldn’t be making a special trip though.

It is quite a tough part of town so keep your eyes open…!

hora
    Free Member

No one works in that area!

mcnultycop

I’ve been once, down and back the canal from Oldham with one lap of the trails. Really good for the space, but possibly the muddiest I’ve ever been after a trail centre.

hora
    Free Member

What mud?! You mean the surface coloured-spray

mcnultycop

That’s the one. Nothing boggy, just mega spattered.

craig5

So it flows well then, and ain’t under 4ft of water. That’s a good start. Go to get some lights, now my appetite for night riding has been rekindled after a visit my masterwatson for a Rammy Ragg last week.

AlexSimon

It’s ok – I and my son enjoyed our few hours there.

Main problem for me is the awkwardness of the jumps. It’s like they are trying to train you to be a good pump track rider/bmxer instead of letting you have fun (opposite of llandegla in that regard).
    The jumps are mostly short/sharp and without clear run-ups.

Otherwise it’s pretty good – the berms are really great at times.

hora
    Free Member

I caught a couple shagging ON the trail edge. I said ‘go on my son’ (he grinned but she screamed in surprised’.

I also had a conversation with two blokes loitering on the trail in the wooded/secluded section. They were waiting for an easy target. That I am sure of.

No thefts as yet? But take a ratbike.

masterwatson2000
    Free Member

You’re welcome Craig! Get those lights sorted, you need to come up our end for some Thursday night riding, although I wouldn’t mind a night spin round Clayton. I’ll have to find an excuse to come down and join you!

@AlexSimon, are the ‘short sharp jumps’ not rollers and doubles, designed to give you some pumping pace rather than a dedicated jump?

simmy
    Free Member

I went back in the summer when it was opening day and Jason from the Velodrome told me they had found wire across at neck height.

Obviously that’s a while ago but I agree with Hora, there’s some characters hanging around sometimes.

I got lost and ended up on a council estate. I’d have given Cav a run for his money that day.

The trails themselves are good.

AlexSimon

There were definitely some of those too masterwatson2000, but I’m pretty sure that someone like Josh Bryceland would be jumping many of the ones I was struggling with.

Garry_Lager

It’s a good spot – impressive use of space, the blue on the n side is v good when ridden at pace. Got a bit bored with it tbh but I guess that is inevitable with a short run like CV.
    Had a nice ride there today, though, with our lad (plus 2yo on the back of my bike). He’s 5 and managed half of the blue fine, loved it, so hope to get back more often with him. Skills loop in the park is also v good for kids / beginners.

Plenty of scallies around but it’s either OGs out walking the pitbull, or young lads sitting off – not seen anyone really menacing but no doubt you should be aware it’s a rough part of Manchester.

matt1986
    Free Member

It’s alright working close by its good for a dinner time blast or after work blast. I wouldn’t worry too much about someone trying to nick your bike though its the dog walkers that are the problem

matt1986
    Free Member

Also speaking too poz who runs the Clayton vale side of things no wire was ever found all here-say there have been some branches put across the trails by the dog walkers but I believe she is speaking to them when she’s out riding to try and improve relations with them.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Who has done the Clayton vale MTB trails then?’ is closed to new replies.