Viewing 11 posts - 161 through 171 (of 171 total)
  • Who has dominated their sport to the greatest extent?
  • uwe-r
    Free Member

Another nod for Bjorn Dunkerbeck E11.

For the best part of 20 years if he turned up he won. He was technically miles ahead of his peers as well as being a top athlete and having a professional approach. He was untouchable.

Overall World Champion (1988–1999)
    Race World Champion (1988–1999) and 2011
    Wave World Champion (1990, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1999, 2001)
    Freestyle World Champion (1998)
    Speed World Champion (1994)

Robby Naish was a big part of the evolution of the sport but he was in his prime when BD turned up.

Laird Hamilton in widely regarded as a nob.

mudshark
    Free Member

quite possible that the best show jumper has never ridden a horse

It’s sad, I’ll never know if I could ave excelled at synchronised swimming.

My old French teacher and his partner won the Kinnaird Cup every year from ’81 to ’90 in Eton Fives. Bit niche I suppose….

http://www.etonfives.co.uk/tournaments/past.champions/kinnaird.html

BoardinBob

I dont agree. Coe and Ovett remained unbeaten for long periods because they avoided each other!
    In addition some sports have high barriers to entry for example show jumping (pardon the pun) its not open to kids off council estates so it quite possible that the best show jumper has never ridden a horse! If you invest millions in show jumping and somehow become the “best” is that the same as Moses who fought off challenges from every track runner who fancied their chances?
    Your example of Moses is a good one though, great athlete and poetry in motion!

*ahem*

staralfur
    Free Member

Stefan Everts won a fair few world motocross titles.

Jeremy McGrath won a shitload of AMA Supercross titles.

And Ricky Carmichael won just about, well, everything he ever entered on 2 wheels.

surfer
    Free Member

Yes BB. She’s your typical council estate kid alright. Funny though I dont recall her being a showjumper until she became a millionaire. Funny that.

BoardinBob

Yes BB. She’s your typical council estate kid alright. Funny though I dont recall her being a showjumper until she became a millionaire. Funny that.

She claims she’s been around horses all her life and knows far more about them than any posh horsey type.

She also looks like a horse these days

flange
    Free Member

I like threads like this, someone who dominates a sport whether its running, chess or windsurfing is awesome regardless in my opinion.

Gwin – ok, only one title but no one came close to challenging him this year. To walk in, destroy Gee and Greg like he has and walk away with the title in his second year is class.

Rossi – nothing need be said
    Stoner – on that Honda will be untouchable for ages.
    Andy Priux in DTM
    Mirra

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Either Nick Skelton or Tim Stockdale came off a council estate. Can’t recall which one of them, but being interviewed at the last Olympics, at least I think it was one of them two in a “it’s not just for toffs” interview, def was a male show jumper or maybe Trials.

mooman
    Free Member

joolsburger – Member
    Sugar Ray Robinson, many better known and remembered but none better or more dominant imho.

One of the best fighters for sure.
    Certainly wasn `t dominant though. Plenty of guys about who could give him a good fight .. some of whom beat him also.
    Just check out how many times he lost the world title ..
    And he wouldn `t risk a fight against Charley Burley either ..

Carlos Monzon could be said to have dominated his weight class though .. as could Ricardo Lopez.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I don’t know why all you people have a go at Jordan, she’s now an international diplomat ffs! I’ve seen it on the BBC website *Jordan calls for Syria’s Assad to resign”. 🙄

Pigface
    Free Member

American Motox always seems to be dominated by one rider Bob Hannah, David Bailey, Jeff Stanton, McGrath, Carmichael I thought Bubba Stewart would but he is almost to fast for his own good. Fingers crossed Villapoto gets sorted by the likes of Barcia.

I always feel sorry for riders like Chad Reed who is so quick but will forever be second best to Carmichael.

Viewing 11 posts - 161 through 171 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘Who has dominated their sport to the greatest extent?’ is closed to new replies.