Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Who got out in the frost then? Pics please
  • kayak23

Stunning crispy morning today. 30 crispy then sodden and freezing miles in the Warwickshire slop for me today. Nice mind.

Note to self: Avoid getting straight into a hot shower when your arms, legs and stomach are literally in the literal sense, frozen solid. 😳😳😳

tjagain

Me but no pics I am afraid. Lovely sunny day here. 20 miles invigorating wee ride

scotroutes

Call that frost?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hMYix2]P1060219[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

🙂

Still minus 2 here at the moment, so frosty everywhere

kayak23

You win 😂

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I got out yesterday afternoon after the black ice had thawed out, even then it was still icy on untreated surfaces.

Looks like the same tomorrow…
    Nice picture Colin.

Tracey

No pics yet as still out. Took my rear mech off climbing the Beast so had a bit of a push and a tow and a free wheel to get to Hope where the nice guys at 18 Bikes fit me another one. 😎

Klunk
    Free Member

w00dster

Yeah did a shirt ride today with the dog. The frost had given the claggy mud a nice crispy surface. Even though it was only an hour was really enjoyable, so much better than last weekend when it was horrible gunky mud.
    Got a 70 mile road ride tomorrow, let’s hope for no frost here otherwise it’s back on the mountain bike or possibly the trainer.

weeksy

Wasn’t much in the way of frost as we didn’t head out until 9:40. Only pic I took was cake, not frost

2019-11-30_02-27-19

Trimix
    Free Member

I looked at the frost and decided to sit in front of the wood burner instead.

DickBarton

-7c here when we started…4 kids and 9 adults…got to -1c at end of ride…didn’t go far but a great morning out.

Tracey

We are in the Peak for the weekend. -3 on the dash this morning but not to be deterred we set of from Castleton do do a loop over to Ladybower and back.
    First climb in the frosty mist was up the back of Win Hill and then along the top and down Potato Alley. Across to the other side and then down Lockerbrook and back up to go down Hagg Farm.
    Up the Beast, near the top I smashed the rear mech on a rock and took it clean off. Bit of pushing, free wheeling and towing saw us back in Hope to get the bike fixed.
    Still a great ride even with the mechanical.

footflaps

About -3C when we set out on the road bikes. Fingers were frozen for a good few hours…

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

-2C on the motorbike commute home form a night shift, heated gloves were on max for that.

fooman

We took a route that’s normally a mudfest but was half frozen this morning.

Frozen wasteland

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

-8c in the Tweed Valley this morning around 10 when I was out. Fine until you got up some speed then intense sinus pain.

Looked amazing, but too cold for taking off gloves for pics.

bikebouy
    Free Member

w00dster

@footflaps what tyre and size did you use this morning on your road ride?
    Will be about 3 degrees when I set out tomorrow, but with it being wet overnight likely to be frosty and possibly icey on some sheltered areas.
    I’ve got 3 choices of tyres… 32mm bontrager R2, heavy and a bit of a dull ride, 28mm Conti 5000 or 25mm Pro Ones. The Pro Ones are tubeless (on different wheels).

molgrips
    Free Member

No frost here 🙁 although I got out.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

The frost soon went in Gloucestershire and Wiltshire the Savernake forest was nice and the Kennet and Avon canal was not to muddy along by Crofton etc bit of a chilly wind but lovely out there no one about much CX bike cuts through the mud like a dream.

kneed

The borders. Pretty icy in some spots – as I later found out!

Borders

chakaping
    Free Member
    winston
    Free Member

Lovin the windsurfing shot. My new years resolution is to get back into it. So many years have gone by that I don’t even recognise the brands…Starboard and North?

Glad to see the fattys were out today – I did 30 miles on mine in some of the muddyest gloop for a while – hilarious but deffo not frozen

Shackleton

Cold and ground like concrete just west of Dundee. Looking west towards Coupar Angus.

View post on imgur.com

footflaps

@footflaps what tyre and size did you use this morning on your road ride?

I was running 28mm GP4000s at about 70 psi. I didn’t pump them up this morning thinking I could use a bit of extra grip, normally run them at about 80psi, below that they are noticeably slower. Never once felt any loss of traction, although we did ride very gingerly round the corners for the first hour as it was decidedly black ice territory. Biggest problem was my hands, rode with fists in my gloves for the first two hours as my fingers wouldn’t warm up.

fathomer

Boss let me have a last minute day off so my weekend started yesterday with a lovely ride in the Peak. Not a lot of frost in the pic but there was plenty around, plus lots of frozen puddles.

Today me and the Mrs went to Cannock, twas pretty bloody cold but the trails weren’t frozen unfortunately. I also worked out that the 2.3″ Shorty on the front of my hardtail isn’t great on the famous Cannock pebbles!

Back in the Peak tomorrow, hopefully for another sunny, frosty ride 🙂

gallowayboy

Only night rides on frozen mud and icy slicks for me, last nights clear skies have given way to a more murky affair tonight. Got to try out the new Bikehut 1600 plus joystick combo though, i’m pleased, I think i’ve said bye bye to separate batteries and lights forever!

Alex

Some great pics as ever. So much better than rain and 8 degrees!

Frosty here this morning. Warmed up to a chilly 2 deg with a strong wind. But all of CwmCarn is now finally open again. Fantastic to ride both trails. Shame about the trees but it was a great day out after six hours of FoD Slop last week.

Didn’t take any pics today but the state of my bike tells you why we went to CwmCarn!

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Just got back from a solo night ride. Stunning watching the sun go down but loads of ice about.

tall_martin

bestwood in the mist

Crisp leaves and slightly frozen mud for me this morning

colournoise

Since there’s little actual frost round here, I’m assuming this is the weekend riding thread in disguise?

So far just a couple of dog rides in the dark. Hoping to get a proper ride in Sunday morning before the joy/hell of the village Christmas fair…

Closest I’ve seen to frosty ground here so far…

Last night saw the first mid-ride Christmas lights of the year…

And then tonight Doug tried to emulate them with his harness light…

shermer75
    Free Member

Looks amazing!

roverpig

Must admit I’m not a big fan of icy roads, but they are a lot easier to deal with on 47mm tyres 😄

whitestone
    Free Member

Went for a bivy last night above Malham. Got down to about -4/5C. Just lovely this morning, steady bimble across to Mastiles, and up to the top of Stockdale Lane. Met someone I hadn’t seen for over twenty years (!), second breakfast in the café in Airton then back.

bivy

heaven and hell

sign

wheel

shadow

malham

damascus
    Free Member

I had a ride around ogden in West Yorkshire today trying out some new bigger rubber.  Beautiful blue skies, minus 1. Riding through frozen puddles and there was a light dusting of snow. I was really enjoying the scenery until……..

I’ll report it to the LA in the morning.

k1100t
    Free Member

No frost today in South Cambs, just loads of slop. Took the RAG+ out for a shake down, it would appear that I’ve traded a Hummer (fat bike), for a Lancia Stratos 😨. Spent most of the time on the bridleways and byways wondering if I’d made the right decision to get a gravel bike, but then when I hit the road I knew it was correct. It’ll be a flipping rocket ship when it stop raining and drys out.

Clarty sector #1

A shake down ride wouldn’t be a shake down ride, without a bit of mid-ride adjustment.
    Fettling...

Fat bike, or gravel bike, the local slop remains the same.
    The slop ramains the same...

First proper outside ride since May, the heart and lungs wanted to get out of second gear, but the legs were screaming for mercy. Time to knuckle down and get the miles in, otherwise the Dirty Reiver 200 will be a death march.
    Nearly home...

scotroutes

It barely got above freezing again today. Short fatbike run to a Xmas Fayre for food and then an even shorter ride back.

forge197
    Free Member

First outdoor ride for 6 weeks. Picked a crisp day for a trip out 🙂

joat

Hard to judge road conditions alternating between grippyish white frost, damp but grippy, and shit! that’s black ice. 28mm GP4000s at 60psi approx and a relaxed attitude kept me upright. Then it started raining after my café stop, an unwelcome 1°C early shower. Still glad I braved it though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Who got out in the frost then? Pics please’ is closed to new replies.