Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Who goes for a training ride before work in the morning?
  • onewing
    Free Member

As title who goes for a training ride before work in the morning? What sort of distance do you travel.

What sort of time do you go out? As i change my job soon so looking for inspiration.

Thanks

eskay

I do some mornings. I take my cx bike and do a hard loop of some local bridleways.

If I didn’t have to walk the dogs and make the kid’s lunch boxes then I could get a longer ride in! I have to get up at 5.15AM to do my early morning ride!

It is incredibly rewarding though when I reach the highest point and look out across Bristol and on a good day I can see the Severn bridge. It is a bit of a comedown though when I realise that I have to cycle to work instead of being able to carry on riding all day!

paulo123
    Free Member

Hour on the Turbo, or ride to work (about 30mins). It can take a bit of effort to get yourself up but I found I lost more weight training in the morning, and it only felt bad for the first 5mins.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I sometimes get out about 7, never have the energy for self ruination, so treat it just as a leg stretch, always try to leave extra time incase of technical etc… 7-14 miles of climbing, road and gentle off road.

oldgit
    Free Member

Nice idea, but I’b be looking at 4am latest for a quick ride.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I start work at about 10, 5 minutes from my house. That allows me to be lazy 😉

Stevo210
    Free Member

That allows me to be lazy

I live 3.5miles from work but managed to squeeze a 40 miler in this morning…showers at work so that’s a bonus.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I live 3.5miles from work but managed to squeeze a 40 miler in this morning…showers at work so that’s a bonus.

Sounds like a lot of effort to me 😉

darrell
    Free Member

yes

its called commuting. 13 miles each way. 3 x a week

Stevo210
    Free Member

Sounds like a lot of effort to me

I’ll second that 🙁

Squirrel

18-20 miles almost every day. Mostly off road. About 1000 ft of ascent. I’m self employed and work late to make up for it.

monkeychild
    Free Member

32 mile round trip 3 times a week and on Friday I may do a 70+ round trip

Kryton57

oldgit – Member
    Nice idea, but I’b be looking at 4am latest for a quick ride.

I’ve been known to got out at 5, be back by 6.30 and be on the 8.10 train for work.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

If I’m on a late shift with a 1400 start I’ll do a couple of hours before work a couple of times a week. When I’m on early shifts starting at 0500 I commute to work and try to get in an hour or so each night on the way home.

gribble
    Free Member

Tomorrow’s commute is Haslemere to Milton Keynes. So unfortunately not. 😥

samuri
    Free Member

I used to. I would be up at 4, quick 15 miles, drive to work. Really enjoyed it in summer.

beej

Yeah, sometimes get up a bit early (6:15 – 6:45 instead of 7:00) and extend the commute (from 1.5km). Do between 28-40km, one to one and a half hours. Shower at the work gym, breakfast either in the restaurant or use the instant Oat So Simple pots.

Always feel good for doing it, hate the getting up earlier bit though. I’ve ignored the early alarm a few times, especially in winter.

Make sure everything is ready the night before.

Pieface

I sometimes do an hour on the road bike out to some local Moors / reservoirs. Normally go for a run though

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Only do a recovery spin on the rollers (1hour) before work. The rest of my training is too long (2-4hours) to fit in before work, or doesn’t suit ie evening chaingangs.
    I hate training before work too. 👿

Tom83

Not training, but often ride before work. I find it gets the brain juices flowing at work a lot better.

MoreCashThanDash

can’t call it training but I ride to work up to 4 times a week, depending on schedule. Up at 6, make all the kids lunches, anywhere between 12-19 miles each way, 50-95% off road, still be at my desk by 8.

tonyd

I commute a 35 mile round trip anywhere between 2 and 4 times a week, depending on how lazy I’m feeling. Not much time for proper training these days.

Before kids and when I worked closer (5 miles) I used to run 2 miles to the local pool, swim for an hour, run home, then cycle to work for 8:30. Probably 3 days on average, then longer sessions on the weekends. Fantastic in the summer.

davidjey
    Free Member

I ride to work (7.5 miles/30ish minutes) but sometimes extend that to up to 2 hours. More often do a long ride home from work instead!

But I’m guessing from the way your post is phrased you don’t commute by bike – is it an occasional option, no matter how far/mental? When I started this job I lived 48 miles away – rode there in the morning (and, less frequently, back in the afternoon too) quite a bit in the summer.

Frankers
    Free Member

Can someone tell me the difference between riding your bike at a reasonable pace before work, and a “training ride” before work.

Want to know which one I’m doing

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve done it in the past but as we have no showers, I end up spending 20 mins in the bogs cooling down and cleaning up. So now I ride to work and do a “proper” ride in the evening on the way home (6km direct ride home, long way home is 45km)

ddmonkey

Yes commute is training, I have been gradually making it longer and longer and vary it depending on time available and how tired I feel! I managed to do the full 70km each way this week for the first time, about 1000m of vertical in that too. I am so much fitter than I used to be, and it doesn’t add that much time really over commuting by other means so it fits into demands of family work etc pretty well. Means I can enjoy riding and doing other stuff at the weekends more as I don’t feel any pressure to spend lots of time cranking out the miles on the bike then to stay fit. Ready for the Etape du Tour now, weekend after next.

boxfish
    Free Member

Standard 3 mile commute, supplemented by a 10-20 mile detour once/twice a week.

I am still slow, though. 😀

Mister-P
    Free Member

My daily commute is anywhere from 40 to 70 miles round trip on the road. I wouldn’t class it as training but it keeps the weight off and saves me a load of money in train fares.

To me training has to have a specific aim, be that endurance or speed or whatever. My riding doesn’t have that, I ride faster some days and slower others depending on my mood. I don’t do intervals or worry about heart rate zones so it’s not training is it?

composite
    Free Member

Twice a week up at 6am to get into the gym and do interval and threshold sessions on the static bike before work.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Hour on the Turbo

+1 watching cartoons 🙂

emac65
    Free Member

I’ve been known to got out at 5, be back by 6.30 and be on the 8.10 train for work.

LOL,Depending what shift I’m on I’d already be on my way to work at 5….Does have some advantages though,means I finish at 1:30…..

will
    Free Member

A 1:30pm finish. That’s the dream right there!

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

1 hour commute, don’t do it every day though. I am really terrible in the mornings!

emac65
    Free Member

A 1:30pm finish. That’s the dream right there!

Maybe,but getting up at 4:15 seven days running is no easy task,the last two shifts being 12 hrs each & at the weekend !….But again,every cloud ‘n all that….They then give us a week off to recover from it…. 😀

warton
    Free Member

Yeah, before and after work.

my normal commute is 20 mins flat out, so a normally do 1 hour each way, then 2 hours two evenings a week.

themoodster
    Free Member

well commute 7 miles each way with one half decent hill on the route, but i’d rather not call it training, sounds a bit serious that.

TiRed

Has a chapter on training for commuters. Intervals are your friend (not really). It does include a day off though. And a club ride too.

cookeaa

I treat my commute as a “Training Ride” but I can only really do it twice a week, working it in around family commitments and needing to be in certain places by certain times, and on the days I do cycle I’ve got to be out the door by 06:30 at the latest to make it into work at a sensible time…

My Commute is ~50-60 mins each way so that’s probably only about 3.5 hrs riding during the week but it is something, plus any weekend or evening miles I might get in, other commitments allowing…

I suppose I could get up really early (05:00-ish) and do a local loop or something, by the time I’ve gotten back home, had a shower, got changed, sorted out the kids etc I’d probably be running late and be utterly bolloxed for the day…

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I commute 20 miles each way pretty much every day in summer but down to 3 days on average in winter. I take it fairly easy most mornings but put in a fair shift on the ride home which is usually into a headwind. If its not too windy ill throw in some intervals over the moor. But I use traffic light starts for intervals too.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m now commuting 15 miles each way every day. Around fifty minutes to an hour depending on how arsed I can be. This morning was a slow one but yesterday was full on. I am really, really enjoying it and the big suprise for me is that it’s not a slog at all and sets me up for the day, lots more energy when I arrive. Also the benefit of not having to stand next to weird people on the tube cannot be overstated.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Who goes for a training ride before work in the morning?’ is closed to new replies.