Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Who fancies a stupid home network type question?
  • Premier Icon sc-xc

Picture this. We have our sky router in the living room of the house – this is plugged into an Apple Airport Extreme which takes care of the wifi.

I need to get a stronger internet connection into the gym which is at the bottom of the garden – about 25 metres away from the Sky router/Airport Extreme.

I have an Airport Express half way between which is set to extend network as well as airplay, but it’s still really hit and miss in the gym.

Different power circuit so Powerline adaptors out.

I want to start using Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV in the gym to stream video content from Beachbody on demand…

So. Am I best somehow strengthening the wifi (we don’t get great speeds here anyway, and the Airport Express doesn’t seem to do the job.)…or do I run a cable out the side of the house, down the fence and into the gym? We have spare outputs on the router, and I’m sure I could make a neatish job of it…it’s a bit of a hassle though.

(Just checked speed, it says 38ms Ping, DL 7.8Mbps, UL 0.34Mbps)

If I use cable, at that distance does it make a difference which cable I use? Is the connection bit any different on Cat 6 to Cat 5?

Thanks for any help

Premier Icon nickjb
    Free Member

Powerline adapters work fine on different circuits ime. Certainly an easy thing to try.

Premier Icon sc-xc

Really? shows how much I know. How does it connect then?

Will look into it, thanks

Premier Icon mattyfez
    Free Member

Is running an Ethernet cable out of the question? You could bury it shallow down the side of a path/boarder/flowered.

Cheapest most reliable solution and you’ll get full speed too.

You can run Ethernet cables up to 100 meters before you have to worry about it.

Premier Icon sc-xc

^ I could do that, but which cable? Is it Cat 5/6/7/8/9? Does it matter?

It’s all bewildering.

Premier Icon mattyfez
    Free Member

I’d go for cat5 e.. STP (shielded twisted pair)

Good for 100 meters.

You could get cat 6 but it’s more expensive and probably wouldn’t benefit you at all.

Premier Icon Flaperon
    Free Member

I’d run armoured CAT5. It’s not as if you need it for safety reasons but I can guarantee that you’ll forget that it’s there, and you’ll kick yourself when you put a spade through it… Been there done that etc.

Not prohibitively expensive either.

Premier Icon canopy

try the powerlines, it may work.. it worked between my house and garage which have different consumer boxes.. but i got pissed off and ran a proper cable in the end.. cat 5e.. gigabit switch at each end.

run wired where you can.

Premier Icon mattyfez
    Free Member

Yeah a cable with a more robust sheeth could be an option or run it through some plastic trunking in danger areas ..

That said though cat5 is cheape to replace..I probably wouldn’t bother.

Also you don’t need expensive branded cable..Just a generic one..cat5 is a standard so if it meets the standard it’s just as good as the belkin ones that cost 5x more.

Premier Icon sc-xc

Thanks all, I’ll get shopping, drilling and digging.

Premier Icon piedi di formaggio
    Free Member

Cat 5, run it through some re-inforced garden hose for a cheap way of giving it some protection.

As others have said, full speed and no fuss. If you want WiFi in the gym, just bung another airport in on the end of the cable

Premier Icon MrOvershoot

Cat 5 is the best option IMO, had power-line adapters in my workshop that was on a separate circuit to the usual ring main and it was flaky most of the time.
    20 meters of Cat 5e and its solid as a rock.
    Went overhead as I had concreted in the 6mm SWA last year so didn’t want to dig that up.

Premier Icon CHB

I have some external CAT6 cable on a reel that I used for the run to my garage. But then you need terminal tools to fit the ends. If buying premade cables then you need to make some big holes in the wall if you need to feed the connectors through. Much easier to thread through the naked ends and then terminate them in situ.
    If you want cable and a few ends then I am happy to send/sell at cost+postage. You would need to buy your own £10 crimp tool.
    Make sure any cables you buy are full copper and not something called CCA (copper clad alu).

Premier Icon mattyfez
    Free Member

I’m lazy..id probably buy a premade cable that’s plenty long enough, drill a bigger hole for the plugs to get through..then once im happy everything’s ok, put a bit of expanding foam in the gap.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Who fancies a stupid home network type question?’ is closed to new replies.