Who else on seeing a flight of stairs….

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Who else on seeing a flight of stairs….
  • Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

… immediately trys to work out if they could ride down it?

fasthaggis

Yes*

* and I am far too old to still be doing this

handybar

I try to work out whether I can walk up it.

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

There’s that on one video of a guy going to work on a fatty. I still have no idea how he rides up the stairs.

The speed he’s going would have me rebounded into orbit.

Obviously he is a competent rider while I’m a dirt roadie.

Often. But more often I see delivery vans parked up to my left with the back open and a loading ramp from the street up into the van.

Riding past these vans is difficult. One day … 😎
    #seethatramp
    #pointlessscuffle
    #hiviznogo
    #middleagedaydream

fasthaggis

I have not been near an MX bike for years,but every time I am out walking on trails, I still look for lines as if I am riding MX/Enduro rather than an MTB …. #weird

jkomo

I remember wondering if I could Ollie down it.
    Now I’m with handybar, mainly due to being unable to clear flights of stairs on my skateboard as a yoof.

I still have BMX eyes. I haven’t ridden street on a BMX in over 10 years. I still spot every rail, ledge, ramp, tranny etc.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

When driving along streets with lots of dropped kerbs, I imagine it’s a long fast jump line…

trumpton

I always look at the street ride greatness of the urban area. When on a train I look for embankments at the side of the track. When out and about generally I am always looking for routes esp. through parks etc when on foot.

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

This is how i see stairs these days (multiple sclerosis), however in a previous life i used to imagine hucking from everything

jedi

Jumping stair sets and landing on another set as a transition is fun

Premier Icon BigJohn
    Subscriber

I just wonder if I can walk up or down with making my usual “Ooof, Aaah, Nggg” kind of arthritic noises.
    #sounds of the 60s

Premier Icon jonswhite
    Subscriber

Ha, my 2 yr old now goes ‘oooohhhh, uuuuhhhhhhh, ahhhhhh’ whenever he sits down – copying daddy 🙁

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

Used to see if I could flat-land off them. No style or grace, just a hoik and landings that eventually wrecked my cranks, then my frame cracked. Watched some BMX films and realised how lame my stair hucks were.

Builders skip with ramp…. surely thats doable? Seeing I cant ride a simple drop off road without cacking myself I’m not sure why I think this.

I thought I was the only one. I get strange looks when I try to explain why I ride around town on a mtb not a carbon road bike which would be faster, lighter, etc etc. They don’t understand stairs, curbs, walls, ramps, bumps and humps.

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

Yep, another one here. Skateboarding in my youth still makes me view everything as part of one giant playground. That’s transferred to bikes. Just wish my skill level matched what I’d like to do.

Premier Icon Andy R
    Subscriber

I’m in Greece, at the minute, and as everyone knows, a Greek mountain village is stair riding heaven.

Bunnyhop

Yes, this is not unusual.

If we visit a stately home or a big garden I’m wondering how much fun it would be to bump down those steps, wooping away whilst all the pensioners look in disgust.

When watching telly, my mind wanders if steps appear. I’m a goddess cleaning the lot in one Danny Mac way.

Walking along the road looking around for steps to ride down at a later date. Who doesn’t?

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

No but when walking down off a hill I often follow the MTB line.

Premier Icon Andy R
    Subscriber

Bunnyhop

Yes, this is not unusual.

If we visit a stately home or a big garden I’m wondering how much fun it would be to bump down those steps, wooping away whilst all the pensioners look in disgust.

I’m a pensioner – and I wouldn’t be in the least disgusted.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Only me who still has the Angela Rippon fantasies then?

oreetmon

ride home from haigh hall takes me through Wigan park. I always send the steps, have landed to flat a few times after ‘refreshment’ in the brocket,

the teens smoking weed in the band stand always give me a woop,,, makes me feel like a 45 year old riding god 😎

Premier Icon sirromj
    Subscriber

To the Sky 🤘🤘🤘

lucien

Given that I live in the MTB metropolis of central London, stairs are as technical as my riding gets sometimes….

Premier Icon Ambrose
    Subscriber

I’d love to ride the steps in Trafalgar Square. One day….

Premier Icon neil the wheel
    Subscriber

In an art gallery, I always like a landscape painting more if it has some singletrack in it.

donks

I can’t help but ride down the stairs to our local Tesco’s even though there’s a ramp adjacent. I do make sure there’s no one in the area first as they often bemoan such ideocy which is fair enough. Was in Edinburgh a few months back and there are some blinding stair sets as you run up to the royal mile so I’m taking the bike next time I go up there.

Premier Icon mechanicaldope
    Subscriber

My route home from work used to take me down the stairs in Victoria Square in Central Birmingham. Until one day, rush hour of course so plenty of people around, a pigeon appeared directly in front of my front wheel as I started the second flight and distracted me to such an extent that the remaining stairs were completed upside-down and off the bike. Que picking myself up and trying to pretend that I hadn’t hurt myself before going round the corner out of sight and crying. Bet it looked awesome though…

easily

I do the skateboard thing, I do the bike thing. I have a third version where I still plan the route that Lara Croft could take over rooftops.

There’s also a Sainsbury’s I know that has an outside flat escalator (is that called a ‘travelator’?). I occasionally enjoy a naughty ride down the up one which isn’t difficult, but is fun.

malv173

Yes! Sam Pilgrim has inspired me to do it more. Fabio Wibmer scared the bejeesus out of me with that insane send. I am not up to gapping anything big, but I’ve found a nice set of about five lots of three and four steps that I can practice drops on. I also work on the 8th floor of a hospital and regularly fantasize about riding down the stairs there. In reality I reckon I’d get down one flight, s**t myself and walk the rest.

Premier Icon Andy R
    Subscriber

I was actually invited by a bar owner in Greece to ride down the six flights of stairs (some inside, some out) from his third floor rooftop terrace down to ground level, while he filmed it on his phone.
    All good publicity, I suppose?
    This was after he spotted me ragging down some steps onto the seafront.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

These stairs here
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.8342701,-1.0777803,70a,35y,39.61t/data=!3m1!1e3

used to bug me when I lived down that way.. are they rideable? what will it be like? will I fall in the creek? So the last day, before we moved up north (about 6 miles away) I went there on my trusty ETS-X and threw myself (and the bike) down them… BRBRBRBRBRBRBRRBRBRBR it went. It was rubbish. So I’m over stairs. Hucking them like the Wibmer fella will never be an option 🙂

Back when I first started mtbing – I used to whizz down these subway stairs on my rigid bike with v brakes and well, there’s a brick wall at the bottom, so you had to stop pretty sharpish. I think I was just showing off my lack of fear. I seem to be rather lacking in that lack of fear these days.
    Subway stairs

trumpton

In addition to what I put above I also look at stairs.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.