• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by ajc.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Who else on the South coast can smell diesel?
  • chipsngravy
    Free Member

I’m in Dorset and there’s a real strong smell of diesel in the air.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21141351

Are we gonna die in our sleep tonight, courtesy of the incompetent French?

SkillWill
    Free Member

I smelt a fuel/oil odour today and assumed I was imagining it. I’m in Reigate (Surrey).

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Couple of times today I’ve caught a whiff and wondered if the van had sprung a leak. Glad I’m not going mad, starting with imaginary smells.

chiefgrooveguru

I thought it was a gas leak!

sugdenr
    Free Member

Goddam!Leatherhead and I was foxed, smelled like a big gas leak but just more dieselly.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Fawley Oil Refinery on the edge of the Solent often burns off oil out of the stacks.. Have you an Oil Refinery near you I wonder?

allthepies
    Free Member

Apparently a factory in France which produces the additive to gas which gives it a “smell” has a leak! Seriously…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21141351

Edit: Must read the OP 🙂

chives
    Free Member

Smells like fork oil here in Lyme Regis! Proper strong smell too. Glad it’s too wet to hang the washing out 😆

johnellison
    Free Member

I can smell diesel and I’m in Lancashire. Oh wait, I’ve just filled the car up… 😯

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Thought nothing of it because my work rents space off a large working farm, (near Cranleigh, Surrey) but come to think of it did trigger something in my mind as there was no machinery or ‘spreading’ movements at the time.

I actually live down on the coast though, so I’ll have a good sniff on my way back.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

the wind the wind the naughty wind…. blame the french it’s those damn Cuisses de Grenouille et Escargots….

pictonroad

Yep, on the South Coast, the whole town smells like a mix of tarmac and diesel. Brilliant. 🙄

Nobby

Been through Kent & Sussex today and the smell is everywhere. A place I was visiting had called a gas engineer to investigate a possible leak.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Been through Kent & Sussex today and the smell is everywhere. A place I was visiting had called a gas engineer to investigate a possible leak.

mercaptans – one of the smelliest things known to man, can detect in the low single digit ppms I understand. The oil & gas coming from the east irish sea has one of the highest mercaptan content in the world, a gas release from one of BGs rigs and shore prevailing wind sets NGs call centres alight with suspected gas leak calls from the Morcambe/Blackpool area!

ajc
    Free Member

Smelt it here in guildford today and wandered down the road to try and find the diesel spill. Didn’t realize it had come from near Paris.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Who else on the South coast can smell diesel?’ is closed to new replies.