Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Who else likes long car journeys?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Something fun about a road trip, don’t you think?

I’m quite looking forward to my trip home on Wednesday, but I think that might be partly down to frustration at work and the flight response.

sucklingmatt
    Free Member

i can’t wait for my little road trip in may…..

Going to be getting on the boat (everyone loves a boat, same with trains just something about them) over to liverpool, then we are driving up into Scotland, to mess around for a few days before heading to the wifes sisters wedding and then we are coming back….

,,,but your right, i’m looking forward to the journey the most

hilldodger
    Free Member

Only if you can park in a bus stop or on a pavement at the destination 😈

tonyg2003

just sold one of the cars yesterday. The couple who bought it flew down from Edinburgh and drove all the way back, 455miles, non stop in 5hrs 50mins. They must like long car journeys!

molgrips
    Free Member

My parents are visiting us in Munich in June. They’ve recently bought a new (ish) car, and are planning to fly! Madness.. it’ll cost them more and they’re retired so could take all the time they wanted on the way down.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Only if you can park in a bus stop or on a pavement at the destination

There’s very little point in that unless you get a certificate from the locals

Anyway, long car journeys? all depends. A day on a motorway, no thanks, but next week, I’m driving up to amllaig, then to Lochcarron, then Achiltibuie, then along the north of scotland to either thurso or Gill’s bay.
    really looking forward to it.

Gary_C

Yep, + 1 for road trips.

Couple of years ago a few of us were off to Morzine for the annual summer week mtb trip. Most of our group flew out, but 3 of us drove over in my mates VW T5. Set off late Thurs pm, got there 8am Fri.

kimbers

prefer long bike rides
    car is just a means to an end for me

geoffj

The couple who bought it flew down from Edinburgh and drove all the way back, 455miles, non stop in 5hrs 50mins. They must like long car journeys!

And breaking the speed limit.

crispo
    Free Member

455miles, non stop in 5hrs 50mins

Must have been fairly gunning it to do that!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Love long car drives. Well, I do if it’s a fun car, if it’s a shopping cart I get a bit bored.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Who else likes long car journeys?

Me. But then I’ve got an Alfa Romeo so I’m just making the most of them whilst I still can!

molgrips
    Free Member

Motorways are still fun. It’s the travelling away from the norm that I like. A long haul on country roads is actually much more tiring for me.

I’ve driven this a few times:

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=43.91255,-100.262736&spn=0,0.013926&z=16&layer=c&cbll=43.91255,-100.262736&panoid=5_dI7W0QAIBcYxZAnbLH_A&cbp=12,265.45,,0,19

And it’s epically monotonous and dull – brilliant though at the same time!

car is just a means to an end for me

Same here – I’m talking about covering distance on land, not any kind of driving thrill. Being a long way from where I started is what I love.

mrben100
    Free Member

Love them if I know its going to be a good destination.

Regularly drive 1.5hrs to london to pick mate up and then an additional 4hrs (dependant on location) into wales for a days riding.

And then drive the above in reverse. A great day’s driving!

Also helps that I’ve just got rid of the 23mpg gas guzzler for a more respectable 55mpg steed.

molgrips
    Free Member

And then drive the above in reverse

That must take flippin ages! Do you not get a really sore neck?

nickf
    Free Member

Love long car* journeys through the night. iPod on, talking book, cool air, no traffic, watch the sun rise. Wife and kids asleep, time to myself.

What’s not to like?

*Actually, long plane or train night trips are just as good.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I’m a lorry driver and the thought of a long car journey makes me want to end it all.

mrben100
    Free Member

^^ 😆 , gets boring otherwise.

tonyg2003

Yep that was damn fast, but with no road works, motorway all the way and no stops, sitting at an indicated 80mph* appartently.

*I didn’t do this – just my old car did.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I do a late night 200 mile trip twice a week, used to hate it but since signing up to audible audiobooks I’ve found myself quite looking forward to it and find it much more relaxing.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i drove to Timbuktu in a nissan vanette for a banger rally once, that was fun

crazy-legs

I don’t mind driving so long as the roads are quiet. It’s why I tend to do any long-distance stuff at night now. Hate short car journeys in town, I just sit there thinking I can ride that distance (usually in about half the time) but a long drive, especially if I’m going away somewhere, can be quite nice.

cxi
    Free Member

I love a good road trip.

I went out to the Rally Catalunya in 2002. Got the ferry from Plymouth to Satander, then drove across Spain. We had a group of seven Imprezas – full bore charges through the tunnels and toll booth drag races whilst crossing Spain in the night were something to behold. Clocked up something like 2500 miles for the round trip.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Went to the downhill world cup in fort bill a few years ago. Set off at 2am,got to the highlands just as the sun was coming up on what was going to be a glorious summer morning. One word – stunning.

trail_rat
    Free Member

only when someone else pays the fuel ….

although i do prefer to drive – im a bad passenger – usually get car sick

andytherocketeer

Depends. I like roadtrips going somewhere exciting (for ski/MTB trips etc.). But I really don’t look forwards to roadtrips back again, especially when knackered.

My next roadtrip is gonna cost a fortune… roadtrip to UK with extortionate petrol, rather than another roadtrip to Slovenia where the petrol is a relative bargain.

molgrips
    Free Member

Andy:

SaxonRider

Long car journeys are what I miss the most about Canada. Honestly. One evening after work, my wife and I drove 2500 kms across the Great Lakes to visit her parents. It was utterly magical.

We have tried to instill the same love in our kids by with them to places like Spain and Poland. It’ll be Ukraine next summer.

rocketman
    Free Member

IMO car journeys have to be done as fast as possible and in the shortest possible time.

But my BIL thinks nothing of driving 500 miles to Scotland and back ‘for the weekend’ 😕 Not my idea of a weekend but each to their own eh?

McHamish
    Free Member

The only time I enjoy the journey more than the destination is when work send me abroad business class…it’s like a little eating competition.

I’m sure I must annoy the stewardess by asking for a toasted cheese and ham sandwich in the middle if the night. Although last time I asked for a selection if fresh fruit and I got an apple and 3 Toblerones.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I love the trip down to the Alps for the summer, the early start (a summer’s dawn in the UK is hard to beat), quick snooze on the chunnel, then that massive blast down the French straits, wonderful

_tom_
    Free Member

I don’t really like spending hours in a car. It’s a bit boring.

geoffj

IMO car journeys have to be done as fast as possible and in the shortest possible time.

+1

Milkie
    Free Member

I think some peoples definition of road trip is different to mine. A road trip to me is going somewhere in a car with someone, usually no point in going there and a spur of the moment decision, with no real time concerns.

Had some very good road trips and some very scary ones! Loosing the car, loosing the keys, being followed by the fuzz, friend running me over (accidental), bumper to bumper pushing and some other illegal activities. What I’d give to be young again! Actually no, turn back time instead, it would cost a fortune in petrol now!

Also like car journeys if the driver is me or the driver is up to my standard. Not a big fan of long journeys by myself, the speed keeps creeping up until I get to the destination.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Ooooooooooooh no! 😕 I’m too impatient…. teleporter for me

sambob
    Free Member

I like travelling, not particularly by car but long journeys by train are good. Whaley bridge – Fort William was good on the way up, almost empty train from Glasgow – Fort William meant i could just lie down across 2 seats 🙂

BoardinBob

Depends what I’m driving.

My shitbox Korean people carrier/ bike humpher = no

My Cooper S = yes

warton
    Free Member

I did Brittany to Newcastle via Calais in a day once. That was fun, and long!

molgrips
    Free Member

I think some peoples definition of road trip is different to mine.

Sometimes it’s to get somewhere via interesting places. We drove down here to Munich on a lovely winter’s day with sunshine and snow around – the Ardenne was absolutely gorgeous, and we stopped in a motorway hotel which was.. characterful.. 🙂

Then when in the USA we went to visit Mrs Grips’ friend in Oregon, and made a road trip out of that. So the have been a means to and end but also an end in themselves.

bassspine
    Free Member

flew to San Diego, hired a car, 8 weeks later arrived in Seattle. That was a road trip, we bimbled about visiting places because they sounded interesting, missed out LA because it’s shite, accidentally arrived in Big Bear just when the downhill was on, went mountainous bicycling in Oregon, great… 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Who else likes long car journeys?’ is closed to new replies.