Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Who else is currently injured and can’t ride?
  • I’m a week in and today has been to put it bluntly – shit.
    Pain, laid on my bed, fed up. Just tried to go for a walk down to the pond with my 10 year old and ended up falling, now worried I’ve exacerbated my injury. Hate feeling like shit dad as opposed to Crouchys nemesis “fast dad”

Be nice and take the piss to cheer me up!

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

Yep.
    Three weeks tomorrow of not doing anything and not being able to sleep.
    Broken and displaced collarbone which is still moving around.
    I’m a right grumpy **** at the best of times so this really isn’t helping.

Premier Icon thegreatape
    Subscriber

My daughter. Went over the bars on the 4X at Nevis Range on Monday, and managed to lacerate her liver, winning her a blue light ride to Raigmore ICU. They got the internal bleeding stopped quite quickly, but still waiting to see if she needs surgery 🤞🏼

Only got her new bike last week as well. I bought her the latest MBUK to read as it has an MTB Skills supplement, which I thought would be useful given the circumstances, but she’s not even opened it yet 🙄

Healing vibes to pair of you (your daughter) too. Its head **** of not being able to do basics like carry a cuppa, nip anywhere, feeling a clumsy peter crouch etc

Premier Icon thegreatape
    Subscriber

Likewise, get well soon!

The pain is currently on the top end of bastard uncomfortable

Premier Icon crankbreaker
    Subscriber

Currently into month 5 of no mtb here. Bout of sciatica starting in March that was clearing up before I went for a recovery road ride and binned it into a kerb. MRI and consultant have confirmed it’s a herniated disc. Getting better now at least but clawing at the shed walls to get back to the forest.

Hope you guys are back out soon!

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

Got really bad tendonitis in one wrist. Biking, or at least, shredding de la gnar seems to make it worse so trying not to do that at the moment. Quite hard as it’s my only aerobic excercise really. Can’t run because of dodgy knees so not much I can do really.

alric

just got the OK from the consultant today, 4 months after a broken (non healing)collarbone and 9 cracked ribs
    havent been able to use the right arm,and physio told me not to lift more than half a kettle, or lift arm above shoulder.
    today the doc said I can do what I want with the arm, and put me down for surgery ‘in a few weeks’
    So I’ll be back on the bike tomorrow!
    Now I have to try to get strength(and fitness) back in my arm, before surgery

wardee

I’m Jealous of all the people that have managed to injure themselves properly.

Been having problems with a minor big toe joint injury since January.

The injury won’t heal. but I can’t get treatment as the NHS will only treat what they deem to be emergency cases and I haven’t done a sufficiently comprehensive job.

Can’t cycle, Can’t run, Can’t wear most of my shoes. Getting seriously fed up.

It doesn’t even hurt most of the time, but as soon as I resume activity the joint just swells up.

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

Week 16 of Coronavirus / recovery.

Bit fed up with it to be honest.

Premier Icon FB-ATB
    Subscriber

like carry a cuppa,

That’s what got me when I was on crutches after snapping my fibula. Went to the kitchen for a brew to have while watching a DVD then realised I couldn’t take it to the lounge easily.

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

wardee

I’m Jealous of all the people that have managed to injure themselves properly.

Been having problems with a minor big toe joint injury since January.

The injury won’t heal. but I can’t get treatment as the NHS will only treat what they deem to be emergency cases and I haven’t done a sufficiently comprehensive job.

Can’t cycle, Can’t run, Can’t wear most of my shoes. Getting seriously fed up.

It doesn’t even hurt most of the time, but as soon as I resume activity the joint just swells up.

Posted 1 hour ago

I had a big toe fusion about 10 years ago in a very similar sounding situation. Mine was an old windsurfing injury from 20 plus years prior, which developed horrible arthritis.

The fusion was transforming, and haven’t looked back since.

Though back on topic, full shoulder reconstruction end of November and just back on MTB this week… 😜. Sore as a sore thing and probably will be forever. Daily weights and exercise bands to try and get more movement into it. Slow but positive progress..

Premier Icon tomcrow99
    Subscriber

6 weeks post collarbone surgery here, finally got out for a ride this week first in nearly nine weeks, felt good to get out. Been doing lots of Zwift also to keep the legs going. Downside is that arthritis in the wrist in my non injured arm has flared up due to over use in the early stages of recovery and this is more likely to hold me back more in the coming weeks than the collarbone…

Use a flask to get cuppa from kitchen? 😉

GWS everyone.

Premier Icon fossy
    Subscriber

No intention of getting injured here. Getting my spine badly broken nearly 5 years ago was enough. 6.5 weeks in hospital and 7 months off work. It’s taken over 3 years for the injury not to be too bothersome. I’m missing half of my L1 !

As injuries go, I think that one was rather bad. Far too close to being in a wheel chair.

velocipede

18 weeks here – four broken vertebrae in a OTB incident – making progress but it’s sloooow and painful!

Sui

not as bad as most of you lot, but after 3 beers and still 1/4 of the ride left, i used a tree last night to stop on a techy downhill section. Cant move my shoulder now, and my finger has swollen, this was 10 mins after someone else used their shoulder to slow down on a flat section (still no idea how he did it) – he went to Hospital this morning unable to move as well! ill stick to two next time..

It seems I’ve abruptly joined this bandwagon, although for me, it seems more of a dilemma of should I ride and if so should I keep it steady (so pretty minor compared to a lot of posts)…

When I had my Xmas 2013 RTA, a non-serious looking lump was noted between my shoulder blades, which I had no idea of until then and had been no bother for ~6.5 years. Towards the end of annual leave last week, Friday or Saturday, it started to feel a lot more uncomfortable. I came back from work on Monday and felt shattered, but thought maybe it was after-effects from the 66-miler the night before. But then I unusually slept through until ~1000 on Tuesday’s rota day off, by which stage I discovered my lump had vastly increased in size; had turned red/purple; any pressure on it had become very uncomfortable; multiple acne pinhead over lump and some were weaping very nasty fluid.

An online consultation form with photos later to my GP, I was rang back by GP ~2 hours later and told to get to SGH to urgently get it seen by the Acute Surgical Unit. Less than four hours later, I had had a ~5cm diameter spherical abscess drained of really nasty stuff under local! 😮

So I’ve now got packing gauze in the drained wound so it heals from the inside-out, which is likely to need daily changes by practice nurses for at least the next ~3 weeks, maybe longer.

Consensus seems to be I could ride, but if I do take it very easy because sweat getting in there isn’t going to help healing, while work is going to be very tricky because a delivery pouch strap would be over the open wound and a “big trolley” would activate the muscles around the wound and hinder healing.

And sod’s law, it’s a lovely day out there today, before tomorrow’s scorchio one day heatwave!

Sui

@n0b0dy0ftheg0at – that’s mank…

Premier Icon baldiebenty
    Subscriber

After reading about you lot I feel very thankful that after launching myself into a rather sturdy tree 4 weeks ago I’ve been able to get back to riding within 2 weeks even if the gym work is still having to wait because of some soreness in the ribs.

Get well soon all of you.

bear-uk

Just had top section of rh lung removed on Tuesday. Currently waiting to go home now but can’t do anything for 4 to 6 weeks and have to isolate for a fortnight.

Premier Icon dday
    Subscriber

Have not ridden since December. Recovering from a total proctocolectomy thanks to Crohns Disease . Its been a year of pain, but waiting for stitches to heal up – then back on the bike!

Premier Icon Wally
    Subscriber

Mallet finger over here ( Emit goes surfing), all strapped up and no riding for a number of weeks.

@Sui It certainly is and this morning’s update was not exactly positive when I went in for the daily dressing change…

Way more fluid there than expected for day3 post-op, a possible abscess growing inside (or next to) current drainhole, given my first round of antibiotics since op and might need to head back to SGH for more surgery.

Won’t be heading back to work until next weekend at the earliest and I’m starting to think I might not be able to sensibly do any z3+ efforts of any note on the bike for most of August, after doing my best 20mins of power ~2.5 weeks ago, since the big fitness loss following Covid. 😥

The strange thing is despite today’s bad news, I’m still feeling far better than on Tuesday when this all kicked off, albeit my sleep is a bit broken up when I accidentally put pressure on wound.

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

Update from my broken collarbone
    4 weeks today and the 2 bits of bone are still overlapping and moving seperatly.
    Mmm seems I’m going to be off the bike for a lot longer than I thought.
    Got another xray on the 11th
    If it’s not started to heal by then I think I’m going to have to try and insist they pin it back together.

happybiker

Yes, day 2 of a 10 day trip in the Alps, doing the liaison from Les Gets to Morzine, front wheel washed out and I landed on my shoulder. Had a plate fitted to hold my collar bone together in a private hospital in Annemasse and getting discharged today. Absolutely the worst hospital experience I’ve ever had.

dave661350

Not injured but having to self isolate due a cancer op in 9 days so it’s a turbo trainer and an hour every other day to try to stay remotely fit.

Premier Icon titusrider
    Subscriber

Cracked a rib so just taking it super easy. Given most of your stories I’m really glad it isn’t worse! See video for my ambitious drop which was never going to work!

I’ve been on the gravel bike a few times, holding back a bit but it’s sore. It’s also the not moving about at home without pain that’s most annoying.

Shouldn’t complain, but really wished I was properly razzing the MTB today rather than a gravel bimble

I’m currently in the bath soaking an aching ankle after doing all my physio exercises today and walking a bit. Far further forward from where I thought I’d be now. Absolutely shattered though today – mentally and physically.
    Early night tonight for me.
    Get well soon all on this thread and beyond

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.