• This topic has 27 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Who Else Had Chilly Fingers This Morning?
  • turboferret

After splurging a silly amount of money on a medley of warm Rapha gloves in the sale, I was a little disappointed to still get frozen fingers this morning. I was wearing a combination of the Rapha Deep Winter gloves and the Merino Liners. Admittedly I do generally have cold hands, thus always wear mitts when snowboarding, but it was only -0.5C so not exactly Arctic conditions. The Overmitts were too tight combined with the winter gloves, so I’m waiting for the next size up to come through the post, which will hopefully improve the situation.

Cheers, Rich

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m still under the duvet with toast and a mug of tea on the bedside table.
    My fingers are fine.

ransos
    Free Member

Frankly, I’m just glad to be in one piece. 4 y.o daughter went over on the ice, she took it quite well considering.

Oh, and Aldi gloves FTW.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pogies.

You’ll look like a knob, but a knob with warm hands….

FOG

My hands were fine – Aldi Lobsters- but my feet were ffffffin freezing! I have tried several different ways of keeping them warm but no luck. My Shimano MW 80s which were great when bought 5 or so years ago now seem very inadequate so I tried a new tack. Waterproof socks, ordinary shoes and then overshoes on top.
    Worked for about half an hour but big toes soon got very cold with no feeling.
    I do have very bad circulation to extremities but there must be someway of keeping toes warm, any suggestions?
    Oh and don’t suggest getting a bigger size with two pairs of socks, I already take max size in most makes, custom made would have to be next step.

qtip

I’m with FOG on the toes. I also use normal road shoes with mid thickness Sealskins socks and On One neoprene overshoes, but find that I lose feeling in my big toes after an hour or so. Fingers are not a problem despite just using Troy Lee XC gloves.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Saw a few fall this morning on the ice, including a mate who was walking his dog went down. Rode to work in slow motion and hope its gone by the time I go back home at lunch. Fingers were fine in my MX gloves I use on the mtb

swanny853

Made it about halfway across a sheet of ice this morning before coming off- sliding backwards down the road, sat upright, being followed first by my bike and then by the volvo that was trying to stop was enough to make me laugh once I finally slithered to a halt. Not sure the nice lady driver shared the humour of the moment!

I was not amused for the next 10 miles though as absolute paranoia about ice had set in and I was doing about two miles an hour, so my fingers, toes and just about everything else were freezing.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Not much in the way of ice down south but my commute is along a cliff top/seafront and today it was into a 20mph icy headwind so yes numb fingers and a bit of a slog – hope it’s a tailwind on the way home but it seems to have the tendency to turn during the day

avdave2

For warm feet try flat pedals if it’s just for the commute. My feet are warmer in my AM41’s than my MW80’s with the same sock combination.
    For the hands I’ve just bought some Endura neoprene’s to try. Early indications, one ride and 2 runs to work, are that they give the opposite effect of normal gloves. With normal gloves I find my hands start ok and then gradually get colder whereas with the neoprene ones they feel cold to start with and then warm up. I’m finding this way round much better so far.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You need to put some effort in OP 😆

As for the Rapha Gloves, size up always 😉

IHN

Not this morning, but out riding tonight in a predicted 1degC 😕

I use silk liner gloves and socks, dead thin, dead warm, dead cheap from eBay. Plus I’ll be trying my Aldi lobsters for the first time, so we’ll see how they go.

scaled
    Free Member

I’m really suffering with gloves, even with Castelli diluvios on I have freezing cold hands.

I’ve ordered some silk liners but i’m unsure how they’re going to work with the neoprene.

Feet are looked after by endura overshoes on the commute and they’re fine, even with my summer shoes on. MTB my feet are suffering with my 2FOs on, even with sealskins and carrier bags. Might have to go back to clips just to keep my feet warm!

addy6402

I had nippy hands for a few minutes (Sealskinz waterproofs) but feet were ok (merino socks and Sealskinz neoprene overshoes).

Doing some funky monkey impressions gets the circulation out to the fingers but does bring some strange looks…

STATO
    Free Member

Pogies.

You’ll look like a knob, but a knob with warm hands….

Confirmed, warm hands, so warm. Great for keeping the rain, wind or snow off. Not so great if you have a lot junctions or roundabouts to indicate at though.

turboferret

Despite levels of effort, hands seem to remain cold…

I wouldn’t recommend silk liners inside neoprene gloves myself – I find that my hands get damp in my usual Endura neoprene gloves due to complete lack of breathability, so I’d think that damp silk wouldn’t provide much additional insulation.

Cheers, Rich

philjunior
    Free Member

My hands were warm (Endura waterproof gloves that I don’t like as much as the older discontinued ones as they have a bit of gel that makes them less comfy…), big toes just a touch cold though. I think this might come down to not having enough on my legs, rather that the feet themselves, though. I might try leg warmers under my longs tomorrow and see if it helps.

Overall pretty comfortable temperature though.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

All ok for me. Craft gloves and smartwool socks under northwave boots.

Very icey and snow on top of the hill. A couple of inches have now layer so going to be fun going home. Thankfully I’ve got ice tyres.

alexh
    Free Member

I bailed on the commute, not worth the risk with the rural hilly nature of my route.

I find my road shoes get cold from the sole, no overshoes stop that. I can be found riding to work in my muddy shim am45’s. Merino sock with waterproof aldi or seal skins over the top.

Ive found that keeping my core warm, and my legs covered has greatly helped with keeping my feet warm.

Aldi winter gloves or seal skinz ultra grip keep me warm.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ive found that keeping my core warm, and my legs covered has greatly helped with keeping my feet warm.

This +1, if you want warm hands/feet, layer up on your legs/forearms. That way the hot blood flows to your extremities. If you have cold arms/legs then the blood vessels there constrict (because they have no idea what your hands are doing and evolved on the assumption they’re even colder) resulting in cold hands/feet regardless of what boots or gloves you wear.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Know what you mean. My hands were cold on the car steering wheel this morning.

Will make sure my next car has heated seats, and heated steering wheel

brassneck

Turned around and took the bike back home. My first hill was like being on rollers, I was going nowhere, so didn’t fancy the 100M up and down main course.

Didn’t feel THAT cold but the wind seemed to be doing a job on the roads round here.

avdave2

I sometimes think I need clothing which is specifically designed with warmer thicker sleeves and legs but the bits covering my core are thinner. It’s perfectly possible to have cold hands and feet and be sweating, the boiler is fine, it doesn’t need to run any hotter, I just need better pipe lagging.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Arm (and leg) warmers, on one have merino ones silly cheap at the moment.

IdleJon

Didn’t feel THAT cold but the wind seemed to be doing a job on the roads round here.

Yes, it didn’t feel as cold to me this morning as yesterday and it was raining when I left. I still managed to find ice to slide me off the bike though. 🙄

benp1

Not this morning, had an early meeting. But will be in tomorrow morning, and was yesterday.

Still using my Aldi Lobster gloves, great for 2 finger braking on the hoods. Not good for flat bars and 1 finger braking though

Have some sealskinz overshoes on at the moment. Was out last night and it was pretty chilly. Was wearing my Adidas Terrex Gilet which has a primaloft front, nice for the ride home from the pub

STATO
    Free Member

I find these felt/foil insoles add a good amount of warmth to my cycle shoes in winter when placed under the normal insoles (so you do need to loosen the shoe off a little). Cheap too.

But for hands i stand by these Pogies for a flat-bar commuter. Cheap, basic, but wondfully warm hands in winter with just summer gloves.

TiRed

Very. Took 20 minutes to get blood into them. I’ve switched to my winter Gore Windstoppers, but really needed the silk liners. Feet were fine with winter road boots. Buff on the neck was also very pleasant.

Worked for about half an hour but big toes soon got very cold with no feeling.
    I do have very bad circulation to extremities but there must be someway of keeping toes warm, any suggestions?”

Bigger shoes and overshoes. On road, try some Castelli Toe Things over your boots. But don’t squeeze those feet or they will just get cold.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Who Else Had Chilly Fingers This Morning?’ is closed to new replies.