Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Who else doesn't need disk brakes?
  • tomhoward

I mean, I can lock my wheels with V brakes, so why should I upgrade my frame, forks and wheels for something that provides the same function but with a weight penalty?

Am I the only one who hasn’t been conned by manufacturers marketing departments?!

Not trolling, just curious.

Northwind

I can lock my wheels with a stick, why would I have brakes?

whippersnapper
    Free Member

conned

strong word. Try them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I be keepin’ it real, fo ‘sho blud.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

OP, 1996 called. They want you and your time machine back.

Thanks.

sharkattack

Your bike has brakes?

I just stick my shoe in the back wheel.

binners

A stick? You massive gayer! I just shove my foot in the back spokes. I’m nails, me!

And anyone who uses brakes of any description is a massive mincing girlchild!

andytherocketeer

often lock my CX bike mini v-brakes.
    can lock my ye olde world 1989 model side pulls on the road bike too.

loddrik
    Free Member

Let’s just get rid of wheels altogether.

crikey
    Free Member

Is the OP equating disc brakes with this seasons fashion accessory, the dropper post?

ads678

TomHoward, Have you ever ridden a bike with disc brakes?

gonzy
    Free Member

i dont have brakes on my bike….usually the nearest available tree does a good job of stopping me.

aracer
    Free Member

Doesn’t everybody just slide their feet on the road?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Somehow the OPs subscription to Womens Own has bagged him Premier access on a bike forum.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Can you really lock your front wheel, with one finger, at any speed and in any conditions with 2.5″ tires and 25mm rims? If so, I’m very impressed!

I remember the days of the sides of rims popping off the rest after too much braking. People buying reinforcing brake arches to stop frames bending and Shimano managing to get money from you every year for better brakes (parallel pull et al).

My weak fingers need disc brakes….

tomhoward

Is the OP equating disc brakes with this seasons fashion accessory, the dropper post?

😈 😳

TomHoward, Have you ever ridden a bike with disc brakes?

Umm, yeah. once or twice.

Dang, rumbled.

cookeaa

Like lightening you lot are!

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/who-else-leaves-their-seatpost-up-and-just-rides

edlong
    Free Member

Unless you ride one professionally, you don’t NEED a mountain bike at all, regardless of spec.

mrmo
    Free Member

my view on discs, when I actually bother to ride the mtb in the winter it invariably ends up clogging with crap. V brakes and Cantis give mud/grass/sticks somewhere to gather. Disc brakes aren’t immune, you still have the frame/fork bridges, but they are much less effected.

I also managed to wear out rims in under 9 months, which gets expensive and time consuming.

In the summer, discs are nice, but far from essential.

Question is then would I buy a bike without discs, no is the answer, that goes for road bikes as well.

The marketing departments have made their decisions and it makes sense to future proof the bikes as much as possible. All new MTBs and most road bikes will be disc equipped in a few years. Which more importantly will affect the rims and wheels you can buy.

mrvear
    Free Member

He He.

pitduck
    Free Member

Need? 😐

rocketman
    Free Member

Nope I don’t need them. Rode accordingly and didn’t die when Vs and cantis were all there were. Disks are nice sure but need?

amedias
    Free Member

I mean, I can lock my wheels with V brakes

yes, but…
    > can you also control your speed in a manageable way from gently scrubbing speed to full on maximum stopping but not skidding?
    > can you do that in all weather conditions in a consistent manner?
    > can you also do that with a wobbly wheel or dented rim?

blah balh blah… many other things about wearing out rims, adjusting brake blocks, cables etc etc.

Believe me I’m the first to support v-brakes in some circumstances, I have several bikes still with them in regular use, but for riding in crappy weather and reliability wise they don’t even come close.

Go back to drum brakes on a car, sure they still will stop the car, but hardly comparable to modern disks and ABS from a control point of view, same argument, you dont *need* them, but why deny yourself the benefits?

ndthornton
    Free Member

I mean, I can lock my wheels with V brakes

try 10 minutes worth of Megavelanche and see if you’re still capable of locking the wheel….or gripping the bars

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I mean, I can lock my wheels with V brakes, so why should I upgrade my frame, forks and wheels for something that provides the same function but with a weight penalty?

Because it doesn’t provide the same function and it doesn’t have to have a weight penalty . Modern disc brakes have so much more modulation and feel than rim brakes plus more consistent braking plus way more outright power and because you don’t need a braking surface on the rim you can build that part of the wheel lighter and you don’t need to have beefed up stays so they can be built lighter which means on a hardtail you can build in more compliance in the back end .
    Really what’s not to like ?

Who else doesn’t need American spelling? Not trolling just asking .

messiah
    Free Member

I don’t need any brakes on my offroad fixie most of the time… but I would never remove them.

Using the brakes on the fixie makes me feel dirty… it should not be done even on techy trails. Control the speed with your legs and feel them burn.

Northwind

binners – Member

A stick? You massive gayer! I just shove my foot in the back spokes. I’m nails, me!

Causes excess wear on the shoes, that.

skellnonch
    Free Member

All my mates have them, I just didn’t want to feel left out

tomhoward

Causes excess wear on the shoes, that.

This, I’ve been through 3 pairs of shoes on a ride once.

khani
    Free Member

It’s all crap, just go for a walk, naked..
    You don’t need shoes or clothes either..

shortcut

V Brakes?

Canti on the front and a U Brake under the chain stays for the proper look and functionality.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Also using discs mean you don’t need to true your wheels every couple of weeks.

imnotverygood

Personally, I just hang off the back of the saddle, place the rear tyre between my bum cheeks & clench hard. You don’t need brakes

flatpat
    Free Member

You need tyres “compatible” with your behind if you’re going to do that – I believe Specialized Concept Stores provide a fitting service for their “Body Geometry” tyres.

binners

Shoes? Pfft! If you walk everywhere in bare feet, your soles will soon take on the texture of leather. Thus being ideal for braking purposes

bigyinn
    Free Member

Id give up suspension before discs in the winter! Oh wait, I have!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Who else doesn't need disk brakes?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts