Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Who does my non driveside arm keep dropping off
  • hora
    Free Member

Wtf. Different chainsets, overtime and still it happens. Sppaced correctly and torqued.

Why?!?!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All Shimano?

cyclistm
    Free Member

Hollowtech 2?

shindiggy
    Free Member

I’ve had the non drive side fall off two square taper chainsets and one external BB/Hollowtect chainset.

Its not happened for a number of years now but annoying none of the less and resulted in having to buy new chainsets as the old threads/axles would be shot. I went through a period of checking the bolts weekly to ensure they were tight but the problem still persisted.

oldnpastit

If it’s square taper then it’s because you didn’t tighten it up enough.

Once it’s fallen off once, it tends to keep falling off because you’ve slightly damaged the crank.

piemonster

It’s probably the rest of the bike, gave you considered changing it for a new one?

Keeping the crank arm obvs!

hora
    Free Member

H2 all Shimano.

Change the bike? Nah 😀

RustyMac

hora – Member

Change the bike? Nah

Faints

Re-reads what Hora typed

Faints again 😉

hora
    Free Member

Bought the frame in March 2015. I’ve ruined one crank arm since then with this the second coming off.

legend
    Free Member

User error

nigew
    Free Member

I have had this in the past with second hand cranks, the pinch bolts have usually been overtightened ovalising the axle 🙁
    I had to replace them both times

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What nigew said.

I find the alloy pretension bolt that comes with saint cranks is superior to the plastic one too.

scaredypants

??

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Poor design that relies on precision fitting?

tomd
    Free Member

Those eBay things have a torque of 15nm stamped on them which seems way over the top!

scaredypants

those ebay things are also purely for setting bearing preload – too tight and you’ll be on here moaning about short bearing life.

(unless you threadlock it in after setting preload correctly, in which case it might stop slippage (and might be a bastard to ever remove if, y’know, hora ever changes frames or something 😀 )

MWS is right, the design is a little bit shit but to lose multiple cranks suggests you’re not doing it right, hora

legend
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    Poor design that relies on precision fitting?

Having a larf? H2 = finger tight on the bearing preload then clamp down the pinch bolts. Haven’t used anything else since Hollow Tech II came out and never had a single issue (Road through to DH)

nigew
    Free Member

Once the plastic tensioner has done it’s job and the pinch bolts tightened correctly you could remove it and the crank arm would stay on!

hora
    Free Member

I think the issue is the plastic tensioner between the pinch bolts. The cranks were used but as new condition. Who knows how they’d been tightened before. It seems shimano stuff has a very finite lifespan now though. Brakes, cranks (a few times). I MO

cp

What do you mean spaced correctly? You mean by spacers for your shell? Ht2 is an almost bombproof system, user error more likely on install. Rock used? 😉

legend
    Free Member

There is no tensioner between the pinch bolts. The only thing in that slot is the installation indicator

hora
    Free Member

CP my Saint cranks lasted 5yrs+ in many many many frames 😀

One frame, three chaimswts; SLXx2 and a XT- two with spindle wear. This one just took itself off in the car when I got home. Threads cleaned and retensioned.

The only other thing is my lbs. It reinstalled my warranty replacement reverb and rerouted the brake rear hose internally. No need to remove cranks though.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Are you tightening the 2 crank bolts and going back to re tighten the first bolt after you have done the second one and then re tightening the second then going back to the first and checking that’s ok etc ? Sorry if stating the obvious .

hora
    Free Member

Yes, I know this trick when you’ve got a hard to remove bolt when it’s partly rounded too.

otsdr
    Free Member

Most likely the cranks were fitted incorrectly before they got to the “as new” state.

Northwind

hora – Member

I think the issue is the plastic tensioner between the pinch bolts.

It’s not a tensioner- it’s just a wee lawyer tab and locator, cranks work fine without it.

sq225917
    Free Member

Did you buy them from us? 😉

RustyMac

Hora,

What Ramsey Neil is on about is if you are tightening the pinch bolts with a torque meter as they pinch down on the axle you will need to torque each one up a couple of times as the tightening of one will impact the other one.

Tracey

Had this problem with Kevins XTs in the Alps last year. Managed to get one of those alloy pretension bolts with a view to replacing the cranks when we got home. Didnt bother as it held fast for the rest of the holiday. A winter of Peak grime and four weeks in the Alps this year. It was still working well when we saw it on CCTV when the scrotes that nicked the bikes were legging it up our lane

hora
    Free Member

Did I buy them from you?

£28, £70, £20, £120 ‘and now reduced to £120’.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sppaced correctly and torqued.

I doubt it. THE only reason they ever ‘fall off’ is incorrect fitting*. I’ve done it myself. If you don’t do it right, they fall off, but you DO get a warning – They come loose first. Ignore that, then they fall off.
    This is the same for any crank, tapered, octalink, GXP etc.

*as opposed to mashed from a big landing.

fivespot
    Free Member

Had this problem with Kevins XTs in the Alps last year. Managed to get one of those alloy pretension bolts with a view to replacing the cranks when we got home. Didnt bother as it held fast for the rest of the holiday

That’s what Shimano should supply from new. The alloy bolts have two important benefits over the plastic Shimano jobby, They are solid, so tightening the two pinch bolts, tightens the crank arm onto the (narrow wall) splined tube with the support of the alloy nut, keeping it more rigid. If for some reason the arm does come loose, it won’t just slide off as it does with the plastic nut, who’s thread just rips off.

Hope that lot makes sense 8)

sillyoldman

The only way these can come off is if bolts are not torqued evenly as per recommendation, or insufficient overlap on splines due to non-standard BB.

If alloy preload caps are helping you then you’re not fitting them right. It’s only a preload cap – once the pinch bolts are tightened, it shouldn’t be load bearing.

The preload cap shouldn’t need to support the axle from crushing if you’re not overtightening the pinch bolts.

scotroutes

User error. Either the current one for not fitting correctly or the previous one for fitting incorrectly and damaging it.

jamesoz

Never had HT2 cranks fall off but I have snapped the drive side arm on a set of SLX cranks, googling brings up lots of identical looking breakages. I’ve upgraded to Saints on the Aeris and will upgrade the hardtail soon.

I’m pretty hard on cranks and it always used to be the non drive side with square taper and octolink that failed, to the point that I started using steel BMX style Cranks until HT2 came along.

jam-bo

How sure are you it’s spaced right. I’d be getting a set of verniers on the BB long before id trashed three sets of cranks….

akira

Maybe the crank is fine and it’s the rest of the bike falling off.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of sets of ht2 now and not had any issues with them falling off, however even tightening up to the upper limit of specified torque I’ve found they needed re-torquing once or twice whilst bedding in. Mine have been brand new in 2/3 cases.

swanny853

I would normally agree that this sounds like operator error, but to give the benefit of the doubt- a riding buddy had a set of slx cranks that constantly had problems like this. One of the fancy tension bolts seemed to help. I put it down to user error until I did them myself, with a torque wrench and a not large number of rides later they were already walking off. I’ve never had it happen on any other set of cranks, before or since.

In the end they worked loose and damaged the splines. He replaced them with the new XTs and has since had no problems. Personally I think they were cursed.

You could do what we did when they came loose on a ride and the tension bolt fell out- loop of zip ties through the middle and then zip tie each end to the crank arm?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Who does my non driveside arm keep dropping off’ is closed to new replies.