Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • who do you think you are? Alexander Armstrong
  • john_drummer
    Free Member

just been watching this on the Yesterday channel.

who’d have thunk it? direct descendant of William Duke of Normandy…

molgrips
    Free Member

Isn’t it likely that most of us are descended from William?

EDIT

Yes, possibly.

1000 years since William’s time, that makes maybe 30 generations. Go back one generation, I’m descended from two people. Go back two generations, I’m descended from four people. Go back 30 generations by that model I’m descended from about a billion people. But of course I’m not, because there are two people in this generation descended from my parents. Not sure how to factor that in.

Let me get thinking about that.. maybe an iterative formula..

epicyclo

No

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scuzz
    Free Member

Racist

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Only the nouveau arrivitstes.

john_drummer
    Free Member

does anyone remember The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers?

the parents got stoned & started cursing in german, english, french & spanish.
    one parent started cursing in Navajo “you’re all trespassing, get off my land!”

Harry_the_Spider

My dad has traced our family tree. Take it back a few generations then look at the extended members and you will snag some interesting characters.

I’m related in one way or another to these…

J Bruce Ismay (owned the Titanic and saved his own skin when it went down) – By marriage
    Henry Robertson Bowers (died with Scott at the South Pole) – Cousin a couple of times removed
    Joe Nelson (Captain of Wigan RLFC) – Cousin a couple of times removed
    Mo Saunders (won the FA Cup playing for Preston North End) – Cousin a couple of times removed
    The hangman for Nottinghamshire – direct relative
    At least two murderers – Cousins a couple of times removed
    Several convicted members of the IRA – Cousins a couple of times removed

andytherocketeer

At least two murderers – Cousins a couple of times removed

Only found one murderer so far (my great great great grandfather’s brother), and one acquitted (my great great great grandfather) but was probably an accomplice

ancestor paradox is interesting.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think we found out that we had one who was dispatched to the colonies before I came out here

avdave2

Well there are at least two of us on this forum related to Henry Bowers and that’s only a hundred years so I reckon there are probably a good few on here with a link to William.

somafunk

A direct family descendant of our family on my fathers side was one of the Lamont clan chiefs in the 16th century who owned the Cowal peninsula in Argyll, my ancestor along with 30 other Lamonts were hung by the Campbells in the old Dunoon churchyard in what is known as the “Dunoon massacre”, the Campbells also slaughtered another 100 odd members of the clan therefore the old saying “never trust a Campbell” is very true. I was informed by my gran that we were are also related to the Lamonts of Possil by some roundabout family circumstance, prob a teenage wedding if the previous 100 odd years is anything to go by…needless to say we own absolutely **** all these days despite most of Argyll belonging to us a few hundred years ago…. i think it’s time to raise arms and kick some Campbell arse!….Inveraray castle will fall before the year is out……..probably…..or perhaps not.

So going by what family records i have read or been informed of it appears that pretty much every ancestor of mine till the late 18th century could reasonably be called a murderer of some sort, and if you go back further than that i guess you say my entire ancestral background practiced clan genocide as some of the recorded battles were rather gruesome to say the least.

Edit : our clan motto is “Ne Parcas Nec Spernas” which translated is ‘Neither spare nor dispose” , pretty apt after reading our history really.

Squidlord
    Free Member

A real pirate, and my ancestor, according to family legend. (Granted, probably along with about a million other folk). But I like this idea very much, and I won’t employ a geneaologist just in case it isn’t true.

athgray
    Free Member

Some folk think they are descended from a different William. 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

Everyone is descended from a Willy, what your dad chose to call it is his business.

kimbers

Well going back 40 generations you’d have over 2 trillion ancestors

Of course that’s not true because there will be lots of overlap especially on smaller communities

Ultimately it shows that ancestry claims are absolute rubbish , about all it does in reinforce the idea that we are call descended from upright apes

joshvegas
    Free Member

My ancestor invented the torpedo. Pretty murderous weapon! And the shuttle loom different ancestor mind

grum
    Free Member

Not a massive surprise re Armstrong – wasn’t he in the papers a while ago whining about how being posh has been a terrible disadvantage for him. Poor diddums.

My grandad has done a lot of genealogy and reckons we’re related to Ethelred the Unready (amongst others) – though god knows how he can trace it that far back.

JoB
    Free Member
    footflaps

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c65QRaR16io[/video]

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘who do you think you are? Alexander Armstrong’ is closed to new replies.